I’ll bite. Last summer my kid was guesting for a team five hours from home, spent the night in the local hospital on IV antibiotics (a long story..), was released at 11 am Sunday morning, and begged to be able to play in the semis at 1 pm. The opposing team was one of the strongest in the region, and one of their best pitchers was on the bump. My kid went toe to toe with that pitcher, hit a triple oppo and got struck out by a nasty curve, then hit a homerun off the relief pitcher. Kid’s team ended up losing in the end (a walkoff in the seventh inning?) but the game was spectacular. My son loves that team he was guesting for- the coaches, players, and parents —all of them. It was a great game, and an honor to play with them. [the other highlight of last year was my son’s top-ten-in-county score on the MathLeague test ]

Last edited by Fan2024

My 2017 never hit a HR in HS.  He had a couple inside-the-park ones in tournaments, but had not hit a baseball over a wall since Little League.

Freshman year, first game, first college PA, hits the second pitch he sees over the fence in left center.

Oh heck, why not.  Need some good stories with all the bad or not so good news out there.

2012 District Championship game (HS) - son's senior year.  Son's team is down 5-4 going into the bottom of the 7th.   Bottom end of the line up is due up (8-9-1).    First two batters are quickly put out.   Top of the order - this kid is a 5 tool player with a 95 mph FB, can hit with power (7 HR's that year including a 2 run blast in the 5th inning of this game).   Opposing coach calls time for a conference on the mound.  First three pitches are nowhere near the plate.   Coach motions to put him on.   Son now up to bat.  After two pitches the count is 1-1.   Next pitch runner steals 2nd, now we are in business.    Next pitch is inside for a ball.   Count 3-1.   Next pitch is coming inside and looks like it will nick the corner, but it tails back over the middle inside of the plate - son is all over it sending it over the 3B head deep into the left field corner for an RBI double and a tie ball game!  First and only time I ever saw him pumping his fist after getting a clutch hit.  Did I mention this was against our archrivals?    Son's team would go onto win in the 8th securing the school's first district championship in 25 years.

They would go on to make it to the state quarterfinals, but lost in a close game 4-3 after taking a late game lead 3-2.

At the Juco he attended, his sophomore year he broke the school record for doubles (record was 23).   Hit 24 doubles in the regular season with three more in the playoffs.    Was ranked #2 in the nation among D2 JuCo's in that statistical catagory.   That got him an offer from a D2 university where he had a very good junior year (6 HR's, 12 doubles and 1 triple) and they won the CIAA championship and placed 3rd in the regional playoffs.

Not gonna brag about my son, but I have a great story about his team and about a teammate. His D2 JuCo in Oklahoma was stacked last year and expectations were high. They were ranked as high as 3rd nationally before all the injuries hit. They lost 2 of their top 3 pitchers with season ending arm injuries and limped to a 3rd place conference finish, but qualified for a Regional. Fell into losers bracket in Regional but got hot and started winning. Somehow beat Western Oklahoma who was the most talented JuCo team I saw in 2019 at any level (entire IF was drafted). Made it to the finals but had to win twice. In first elimination game they were down 11-3 at one point but fought back. Going into the bottom of the 9th they were still down 11-8. By the time they managed to load the bases there were 2 outs. Coming to the plate was a seldom used kid that had entered the game in late innings as a pinch runner. He only had 5 hits all year and none for extra bases. On a 2-1 count he hit one over the LF wall for a walk off grand slam. Only the second HR of his life including Little League. The scene of the team waiting for him to cross home plate, to celebrate the most unlikely of heroes, shows the pure joy of playing team sports and is one of my favorite sports photos ever ( see attachment).  Team went on to win Regional and the did the unthinkable and won a National Championship a couple weeks later. Kid that hit the walk off slam got a scholarship to an NAIA school in Kansas on the basis on that one hit. You could replay that situation a thousand times and it wouldn’t work out that way again. But it did once and that’s all that matters. 

Attachments

Images (1)

I want to brag on all the spouses left at home to take of the pet(s), maintain the house, work from home and make sure the kids are doing their school work, not killing too many brain cells on video games or YouTube vids and not eat crappy snacks. I am grateful I still come home to a meal and hug. Some of us get applause at 7, but our spouses deserve the remaining 23 hours and 59 minutes of applause. Thank you!

adbono posted:

Not gonna brag about my son, but I have a great story about his team and about a teammate. His D2 JuCo in Oklahoma was stacked last year and expectations were high. They were ranked as high as 3rd nationally before all the injuries hit. They lost 2 of their top 3 pitchers with season ending arm injuries and limped to a 3rd place conference finish, but qualified for a Regional. Fell into losers bracket in Regional but got hot and started winning. Somehow beat Western Oklahoma who was the most talented JuCo team I saw in 2019 at any level (entire IF was drafted). Made it to the finals but had to win twice. In first elimination game they were down 11-3 at one point but fought back. Going into the bottom of the 9th they were still down 11-8. By the time they managed to load the bases there were 2 outs. Coming to the plate was a seldom used kid that had entered the game in late innings as a pinch runner. He only had 5 hits all year and none for extra bases. On a 2-1 count he hit one over the LF wall for a walk off grand slam. Only the second HR of his life including Little League. The scene of the team waiting for him to cross home plate, to celebrate the most unlikely of heroes, shows the pure joy of playing team sports and is one of my favorite sports photos ever ( see attachment).  Team went on to win Regional and the did the unthinkable and won a National Championship a couple weeks later. Kid that hit the walk off slam got a scholarship to an NAIA school in Kansas on the basis on that one hit. You could replay that situation a thousand times and it wouldn’t work out that way again. But it did once and that’s all that matters. 

Love the umpire: great look on his face, showing respect. 

adbono posted:

Adbono - that is an awesome story!  I love reading stories like that. 

FoxDad posted:
adbono posted:

Adbono - that is an awesome story!  I love reading stories like that. 

One of the coolest sports moments that I was ever a part of. And  I have been fortunate to be at some really good ones, both as a player and a spectator. 

The game I described was the first elimination game. We had to win another game after that one. In between games everyone there had gathered on the concourse, including the players, talking about the incredible finish. A kid had gotten the HR ball and brought it to Clay’s (#6) Dad, who was clutching the ball in one hand and Clay’s jersey in the other. He had tears in his eyes and I don’t know that I have ever seen a happier man. Dad told me he almost didn’t come to the game because Clay hardly ever got to play.

”How can you not be romantic about baseball?” 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.