Skip to main content

One last thing. When son was a junior he played in Jupiter late october ,did one camp at Miami and PG showcase in F t Myers and didn't pick up a ball until February. That was the most he ever did in off season as an uncommitted player.  I don't think that this is what Cressey is referring to. These days camps continue after October.  I understand recruiting takes place earlier. But you hear about pitchers going to camp after camp because they feel that someone else will get that scholarship before their son.

Cressey makes great points about the negative of young under developed bodies playing continuously at one sport and about managers managing relievers poorly , being a reliever is really tough.  You get the call to get up and warm up, then shut down, the next night the same thing, then on the third night you get in, your arm is tired.

Mike Matheny does that often.  I have a friend who is a cardinal fan,  diehard, that just goes bonkers on that one.  

Last edited by TPM
PGStaff posted:

I agree completely and have said that repeatably, I like to see kids play multiple sports.  Especially at the younger ages.  However this should only happen if they enjoy and want to play other sports.  Not because it will develop them into better baseball players or athletes.

Thank you PGStaff.

I also have to wonder what it means to be a "multi-sport" athlete.  Does it require being on an official team?  Or is it enough that he plays 2 pick up football games a week with the neighborhood kids, plays hundreds of games of basketball in the driveway, and swims in the pool about 10+ hours a week?  When a coach says "Do you play other sports"...what is the qualifier for that?

CaCO3Girl posted:

I also have to wonder what it means to be a "multi-sport" athlete.  Does it require being on an official team?  Or is it enough that he plays 2 pick up football games a week with the neighborhood kids, plays hundreds of games of basketball in the driveway, and swims in the pool about 10+ hours a week?  When a coach says "Do you play other sports"...what is the qualifier for that?

I will venture to say a team organized sport but I dont agree with that. There is a lot of generalization that kids dont go out and play anymore but frankly I just dont see it, not around me anyway. Maybe it has to do with the area you live, i dont know. Seems when they say "multi-sport", it means the big 4, football, soccer, basketball and baseball. There is so much more to do to stay active and exercise different muscle groups then just those sports. Im not against multi-sport, son plays basketball as well but to think its  a "must" is bs. Does it help, probably, it sure doesnt hurt so If you like it, do it, if not then dont.

Last edited by johnnysako
johnnysako posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

I will venture to say a team organized sport but I dont agree with that. There is a lot of generalization that kids dont go out and play anymore but frankly I just dont see it, not around me anyway. Maybe it has to do with the area you live, i dont know. Seems when they say "multi-sport", it means the big 4, football, soccer, basketball and baseball. There is so much more to do to stay active and exercise different muscle groups then just those sports. Im not against multi-sport, son plays basketball as well but to think its  a "must" is bs. Does it help, probably, it sure doesnt hurt so If you like it, do it, if not then dont.

I don't think it is  necessarily about joining a team. But the off season can be used for doing other things, bowling, golf, swimming, hiking, just using different muscle groups. Multi sport would be more about a player dedicated to playing 2 sports in a team.  My son played basketball in a rec league and volleyball and soccer in middle school but that didnt mean he was a multi sport athlete who loves to compete.

When a coach asks if you play other sports,  regardless of whether its recreational or organized, it  opens a window for information about them. I dont think that coaches care which sport, but being involved shows a competitiveness the coach is looking for, thats why they like that.

I think the not going outside and Play really applies to some big City Areas (were parents are in constant fear that their kid gets adbucted or in contact with a gang or so) but in more rural Areas or Suburbs Kids still do Play.

BTW I think in the colder Areas hockey is a really get Sport to compliment with Baseball. Trains Hand eye because you also use a stick with two Hands to handle the ball and has that lateral pushing off in Skating that helps with Baseball movement too.

Not sure of the above. I am assuming most of us live in the suburbs not big cities and their is no harm in 14, 15+ years old going outside to play. I live in Florida and my kids spent endless hours at the skating rink.

The age of video games, cell phones , computers keep our kids inside and more than ever we are raising overweight kids.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.