Skip to main content

East Tennessee State used solid pitching and timely hitting to defeat Virginia Tech, 5-3, in the Kingsport Classic Tuesday night from Hunter Wright Stadium in Kingsport, Tenn. It is ETSU’s second win of the season against the Hokies, as the Bucs also defeated Virginia Tech 5-4 on Apr. 19.

East Tennessee State took the early lead by manufacturing a run in the bottom of the first. Junior right fielder Shane Byrne (Johnson City, Tenn.) singled with one out and advanced to third after senior catcher Caleb Moore (Knoxville, Tenn.) and junior first baseman Blake Church (Roswell, Ga.) walked. Sophomore centerfielder Stephen Douglas (Kennesaw, Ga.) then lifted a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Byrne from third.

The Bucs added to their lead with a run in the bottom of the third. Byrne and Moore led off the inning with back-to-back singles. With one out, Byrne stole third then crossed the plate on a throwing error.

ETSU ran its lead to 3-0 with a run in the bottom of the sixth. Douglas led off the frame with a single, beating out a slow ground ball to third. Sophomore designated hitter Mike Giroud (St. Petersburg, Fla.) then laced a double down the right field line to score Douglas.

Virginia Tech cut ETSU’s lead to one with a two-run rally in the top of the seventh. Sheldon Adams led off the inning with a single to left, followed by a walk by Nate Parks. Matt Foley then hit into a fielder’s choice, giving the Hokies runners on first and third. The runners would score as Jose Cueto hit a sacrifice fly to right and Jose Rojas hit an RBI double to right-center. The Hokies looked as they had tied the game with a single by Matt Hacker, but Rojas missed third base and was called out on an appeal.

The Buccaneers responded with two runs in the bottom of the seventh. Junior shortstop Chuck Hargis (Powell, Tenn.) reached on an error to lead off the inning and moved to second on a sac bunt by Byrne. After Moore was intentionally walked, the runners moved to second and third on a groundout by Church. Douglas then came to the plate and scored both runners with a bloop single to left.

The Hokies put their final run on the board as Warren Schaeffer hammered the first pitch he saw with two outs in the top of the eighth over the left field wall.

ETSU starter Jeremy Hall (Gray, Tenn.) pitched three scoreless innings to earn his ninth win of the season (9-1), tying him for the NCAA Division I lead. He allowed one hit, hit a batter and struck out one. Moore added to his ETSU season and career record with his ninth save of the year. He pitched the final two innings, allowing one run on one hit while striking out two.

Buccaneer junior lefty Brian Lovett (Knoxville, Tenn.) was also effective, pitching two scoreless innings without allowing a baserunner.

Ryan Kennedy was charged with the loss (4-5), allowing five runs (two earned) on eight hits in 6.2 innings. He also struck out six and walked three in the loss.

Byrne, Moore and Douglas each had two hits for the Bucs while Byrne scored two runs and Douglas had three RBIs. Adams led the Hokies with two hits while three Virginia Tech players has runs scored and three players drove in runs.

The Bucs return to action tomorrow afternoon as they host Radford at 3 p.m. from Cardinal Park in Johnson City, Tenn. Virginia Tech also returns to the diamond tomorrow, hosting Virginia Military Institute from English Field in Blacksburg, Va. at 7 p.m.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ETSU / Notebook - Hall continues to win for Buccaneers

Jeremy Hall expected to have a big season on the mound for the East Tennessee State baseball team, and he hasn't disappointed.
The former Daniel Boone star improved to 9-1 with three scoreless innings of work in a 5-3 victory Monday night against Virginia Tech. The nine wins ties Hall for the NCAA Division I lead and matches his total of the previous two seasons combined.
"I've just been in the zone the last month and a half or so," he said Tuesday. "It seems like every time I'm on the mound we get great defense and score some runs. Things have just been working out for me."
Hall has pitched 80 innings this season, most in the Southern Conference. He carries a 4.16 earned-run average, with 67 strikeouts and 25 walks. Opponents are hitting .259 against him.
"My off-speed pitches are coming along and I've been able to work my fastball on both sides of the plate," said Hall, a 6-3 junior. "And confidence has a lot to do with it. I know every time I'm out there I can put us in a position to win."
The Bucs won their sixth straight game Tuesday with a 13-3 rout of Radford. Next up is a three-game series here this weekend against College of Charleston, the SoCon leader at 16-2. The Bucs stand fifth at 11-9.
Hall is scheduled to pitch the second game of a double-header Saturday, and ETSU pitching coach Mac McClarrinon expects to see another quality start.
"Jeremy has developed more command as we've gone along," said McClarrinon. "He can work at 88 to 93, and he's making quality pitches. He has a lot of intangibles that make him special."
The ETSU pitching staff has improved collectively under the watchful eye of McClarrinon, who is in his first season at the school. The Bucs' team ERA has dropped almost a run per game, from 6.60 last season to its current 5.87.
"I'm happy with the direction we're going," said McClarrinon. "We have a great group of kids that do anything I ask. It's just a matter of making the right pitch at the right time."
Belated congrats to "Booner!" Whoooo Hooooo

I know how proud teh Jolly One and Sue are. I am reminded of a night during J's freshman season when things had not gone well .... I told Roger that things would get better and that I was sure that Jeremy would have a productive and successful collegiate career.

So .... see Roger, I told you so! :-)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.