Skip to main content

So I'm fascinated with this scenario:

People this time of year keep talking about the option of transferring schools when their kid gets cut from the HS team "unjustly", so that they can rescue the boy's self-esteem and "love of the game."

My question: Does anybody have a story of being on a team actually taking somebody up on this? How does it work? I have an image of a brand-new roster full of kids who just earned their way onto a team, getting introduced to the new kid who was just cut from the team across town. Surely no self-respecting HS coach would start his season off that way.

And then how does the coach, who just cut a number of his own kids and has his own frustrated parents, explain to them where this phenom came from that is better than the ones he didn't take(But got cut from some other school.)?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes - and I think our coaches and team were glad to have him.

Ours is a "Laboratory School," part of the UF Department of Education, and the goal is to have the school's population reflect the county's population in terms of diversity of income, academic abilities/disabilities, race, gender, etc. It's a great school academically because they are using the latest teaching methods, they have fairly small class size, and a higher ratio of teachers with advanced degrees, and you never hear about the crazy things that go on at bigger schools every day. It's not private, but you have to apply, and to be accepted, there has to be an opening for a person like you.

Unfortunately, baseball talent is not one of the criteria. Fortunately for us, there was an opening for someone like him. This young man got cut from a much bigger program. He did have to sit out a year due to FHSAA transfer rules, but was able to make a very significant impact at our school his senior year. He did get a scholarship offer, but he is not on the roster at that school's website. So I'm not sure what happened to him.
Last edited by 2Bmom
Yeah, I've seen the case where the truly athletic beast dubiously shows up through some strange set of circumstances. Football is a great example. In fact, I've been a member of the "conspiracy of the complacent"...kind of embarrassed about it, but more than anything glad we stole the stud running back. But usually this isn't a case where the "pretty-OK-player" actually got cut from the prior school. I'm more intrigued with the latter.

The INLIMBO case is a great example. No reflection on the boy (taking you at face value, here), but the fact is that he was actually cut. That means that his talent level, while probably dazzling, was not enough to over come all the the other excuses coach made for letting him go.

So that's what get's brought to the new school. And that's the basis of why I'm so curious...I've seen how rabid parents of disappointed kids can get. How would they choke down this news?

I also know from first hand experience how the core starters feel about the talent at the end of the bench - especially when they aren't personal friends. My kid would develop a real disrespect and resentment for coach if he brought in a "cut" kid from somewhere, until that kid proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he really was starter material who would help them win.

P.S. We're in a 5A district, so I guess I'm caught thinking that's how the world is. I guess I can see the smaller school situation, where this would make sense.
Last edited by wraggArm
quote:
My kid would develop a real disrespect and resentment for coach if he brought in a "cut" kid from somewhere, until that kid proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he really was starter material who would help them win.

I can easily see where its possible a kid 'cut' from a 25-5 5A school could help a 5-25 5A school win....
quote:
Originally posted by INLIMBO:
I'm struggling with that choice right now. My son was cut unjustly and even the HEAD COACH of the team he was cut from has told me he is certainly good enough if not better than most to play anywhere else. Basically just not at the school we have been dedicated to and the school system we have been in since kindergarden. I haven't been able to deceide what to do because I feel you shouldn't transfer just for athletics and that it is a cop out plus I want my son to graduate with all his friends he's had since he wa s5 years old, but what do you do when you know your son could have a future at least as far as college but he is being denied that for reasons not pertaining to athlectic ability or character but due to the long reaching arms of someone else who weilds a lot of influence? Assume what I say is the 100% truth (becasue it is but I know you must doubt it) and tell me, what would you do?

I'll bite.

Get over it and stop the hand wringing...Been there done that.

Trust me, not making the team could be a good on several fronts. Your sons not being denied the opportunity to play at the next level by not playing in HS. Use the next 6-9 months and prepare for the summer and fall showcases. If he's as good as you say he is he'll play at the next level.

Last year a kid(a junior)was cut from the team, to the surprise of almost everybody. He went to work and signed an NLI in Nov. Currently our team is looking to fill the spot, this kid will be playing at a HS that he transfered to this year and the college he commited to for 2011.

The HS baseball experience at his current school is OVER. To allow this to derail future opportunities or to keep rehashing "WHY" would be the real travesty.
Last edited by dswann
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk19:
quote:
My kid would develop a real disrespect and resentment for coach if he brought in a "cut" kid from somewhere, until that kid proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he really was starter material who would help them win.

I can easily see where its possible a kid 'cut' from a 25-5 5A school could help a 5-25 5A school win....

I could see that.
This happened this year at son's school in football.
Kid lost the starting QB competition and transferred to the HS in the next town over. Parents got a condo address and said the kid and dad moved. Within a couple of weeks he was the starting QB at new school.

Teams faced each other in the playoffs and I noticed our guys were hitting him harder whenever they got an opportunity.

I don't know the inside relationship between the new school and the family but it did happen that fast.
INLIMBO
Eight years ago my oldest son was cut from his HS team. He was a lefty who threw mid to upper 80's. Had played travel ball his whole life. It was devastating for both of us. I waited a week to talk to the coach (while I cooled down) and was told he was to slow. Again he was a left handed pitcher. I had all the thoughts about tranfering and going to the athletic director, everything I have read in this thread and your previous one. A very wise person whom I married to, told me that maybe it was the best thing to happen to our son. What we found out over the next two years is that our son had more character then I had given him credit for. He was at every game rooting on the team he had not made. He worked his rear end off to improve on the things the coach that had cut him told him he was lacking in. He tried out the next season and made the team. He pitched on a regular basis and had a decent JR. year and was selected ALL-State as a SR. I often wonder why he was cut. I guess he needed to grow up a little But the way he handled it was a wonderful lesson to all that were involved. Our son had a few offers after HS but decided on a Full Ride in the US NAVY. As terrible as it seemed the day we got the bad news,in our case it was a wonderful life lesson for everyone involved.
Last edited by williekc
quote:
Originally posted by williekc:
INLIMBO
Eight years ago my oldest son was cut from his HS team. He was a lefty who threw mid to upper 80's. Had played travel ball his whole life. It was devastating for both of us. I waited a week to talk to the coach (while I cooled down) and was told he was to slow. Again he was a left handed pitcher. I had all the thoughts about tranfering and going to the athletic director, everything I have read in this thread and your previous one. A very wise person whom I married to, told me that maybe it was the best thing to happen to our son. What we found out over the next two years is that our son had more character then I had given him credit for. He was at every game rooting on the team he had not made. He worked his rear end off to improve on the things the coach that had cut him told him he was lacking in. He tried out the next season and made the team. He pitched on a regular basis and had a decent JR. year and was selected ALL-State as a SR. I often wonder why he was cut. I guess he needed to grow up a little But the way he handled it was a wonderful lesson to all that were involved. Our son had a few offers after HS but decided on a Full Ride in the US NAVY. As terrible as it seemed the day we got the bad news,in our case it was a wonderful life lesson for everyone involved.

willie - that was an awesome post!
I agree, that was a nice post, Willeck. BTW, Go Navy! (True Shellback.) Wink

While I appreciate the altruism there are situations--not yours, sir--that require judgment. Baseball is a business and part of that business is doing what's right for the player. Sometimes that means making a move for greater opportunities. That should be a last resort, however, when the kid has not been given a fair chance.
Inlimbo: 1.Coaches do make honest mistakes. (I've cut the wrong kid before) 2. there ARE truly nightmare situations that do exist that it sounds like you are a part of...
I admire that you are taking other steps to do the best you can with the cards that have been dealt you....
best wishes... I believe you've been very forthright with all of us and that trait will shine thru and help your son a lot more than working on a cutter with a big league pitcher.
best wishes to your son and let us know how summer ball goes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.