Skip to main content

It's been quite a while since I've been on this site as both boys are in college.  Younger son wanted to try and walk on the D1 he's attending and, in reading this forum, I was gathering that it's just a check the box exercise to comply with the NCAA.  Son forged ahead though, and found out that, yes, it was a 15 minute tryout.  With no prior knowledge of my son, they paid no interest.

So that got him pretty hot and he decided to walk on to the football team this January, having last played in middle school.  Of course he made it as a QB.  Realized 3 weeks in though, that he doesn't LOVE football.  So he's left the team and will be giving baseball one more try this fall.

This time a friend of ours who knows the coach will be helping set up a 1 on 1 tryout this summer.  Then he at least gets a fair look.

So to all those who thought the journey was over if not recruited or playing JUCO, sometimes there remains a glimmer of hope.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just an update.  The school had their tryout and my son was the only one who got the call back.  Hitting 91 on the gun certainly helped him, I'm sure.  He knows this is only one step in the process and it will take a lot to make the spring roster, but it's off to a good start.  First practice ended with a short intersquad and he got 2 at bats, played RF and 1B, and some of the incoming freshman didn't get off the bench.  He said that felt a bit weird seeing that, but he's just going keep working.  He's grown some more and now stands at 6'4".  Coach told him they want to add weight (currently 185-190) and feel he'll add 5-7mph over the next couple years.

Journey continues...

If coaches have plans for adding weight and velo over the next few years it certainly sounds like they plan on keeping him around for a while. It might feel weird walking in and taking other people's spots but that is a good weird - it's what he wants. Sounds like he is in a very favorable spot. Don't forget, at least 8 walk-ons make the team. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.