Skip to main content

I'm surprised as I have not seen a posting as I checked today.   The Evoshield Canes organization won their 3rd World title in Jupiter, Florida this past weekend.   The unbelievable thing is two Canes teams made it to the championship game featuring the 2016 CANES VS the 2017 CANES.  The 2016 team won in 5 innings 8-0.   What a great ride by both teams.   The first time two teams from the same organization made it to the championship.   What a great ride.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cavs1, thanks for the kind words.  We are very proud of our guys!  We accomplished quite a bit this tourney - getting both teams to the finals, winning back to back to back and only allowing 1 run in 8 games.  None of which have been done before.  With that being said, here are the VA kids on both rosters:

EvoCanes

Andrew Abbott, Halifax County HS

Michael Bienlien, Great Bridge

Derek Bjorlo, Nandua

Khalil Lee, Flint Hill

Joe Rizzo, Oak Hill

Bryce Runey, Riverbend

Garrett Stallings, Grassfield

Team Evo

Tanner Morris, STAB

Tyler Solomon, Battlefield

Rafi Vasquez, Bishop O'Connell

The Canes organization has been represented well in the PG WWBA as evidenced by the success of Canes players in achieving All-Tournament status at each of the age groups, regardless of which Canes team rosters included those players.

WWBA's seem to be the largest national events in terms of participating teams. I believe the 17U WWBA in 2015 had at least 336 teams compete.

It would be interesting to see a list of all those EvoCanes players so honored (even though the criteria for PG All-Tournament are somewhat nebulous).

FWIW from Jupiter:

<colgroup><col span="3" width="64" /></colgroup>
First NameLast NameTeam Name
NicholasQuintanaEvoshield Canes
SethBeerEvoshield Canes
BradDeboEvoshield Canes
NoahCampbellTeam Evoshield
BrandonMartoranoEvoshield Canes
AustinLangworthyEvoshield Canes
BryantPackardEvoshield Canes
JimmyTitusEvoshield Canes
JeremyArochoTeam Evoshield
JoeRizzoEvoshield Canes
TannerMorrisTeam Evoshield
Edward "EP"ReeseTeam Evoshield
KhalilLeeEvoshield Canes
MattManningEvoshield Canes
AustinWeiermillerTeam Evoshield
MatthewCroninEvoshield Canes
GarrettStallingsEvoshield Canes
ShaneRobertsTeam Evoshield
JackStamlerTeam Evoshield
PhillipSandersonTeam Evoshield
MichaelBienlienEvoshield Canes
RianHaireEvoshield Canes
TaylorGibsonEvoshield Canes
JacobHennessyTeam Evoshield
GianlucaDalatriEvoshield Canes
ZachAutinTeam Evoshield
RafiVasquezTeam Evoshield

Does anyone know how the Canes teams are selected? I can see that the majority of their rosters are composed of players form approximately 14 states. I assume the best of the best have some sort of tryout. I originally assumed that those teams playing in Jupiter were made up of kids from the same summer/fall travel teams or locale.

@CoachJackE: I can only tell you our experience. NTGson pitched well against Canes 14U in a very large tournament's championship game and was subsequently asked to join their 14U team as a guest pitcher at the 14UWWBA. From that point on, he played through his 17U season in the organization and never was asked to attend a tryout. In those 4 years the number of teams more than doubled and the organization regularly conducted highly-publicized tryouts.

http://canesbaseball.net/News....sbaseball.net#333736

The National Teams at 16U and 17U are a compilation of the players whose resumes are built on their success in the preceeding year's performance as a Cane and the level of interest they have generated within the college and pro coaching communities. Each year there is a small influx of players who have demonstrated their skills for other teams/programs. Those players, we assume, are invited to join the program as our son was at 14.

As with all organizations there are shortcomings and strengths of the Canes. We found the experience most beneficial for our son and would recommend the organization.

NTG is on point. There are multiple ways for players to enter into the Canes program: tryouts, playing (and succeeding) against Canes teams, Canes scouting efforts, WOM, networking, etc. The younger teams are primarily seeded via tryouts, and the older teams via networking and scouting, and of course the opposite does occur. Hey: even current or program "grads" will recommend players.

Joemktgson went through a small tryout (3 players on a cold January day indoors) as a result of a discussion between his soon-to-be HS coach and a member of the Canes organization, and was invited to participate. Not a single regret from over 7 seasons.

Originally Posted by CoachJackE:

Does anyone know how the Canes teams are selected? I can see that the majority of their rosters are composed of players form approximately 14 states. I assume the best of the best have some sort of tryout. I originally assumed that those teams playing in Jupiter were made up of kids from the same summer/fall travel teams or locale.

I think I can speak as to how our teams are selected.  

Our EvoShield Canes teams are considered our "national" teams.  These are the "best of the best" you mention.  Virtually none of those players attend a tryout, unless it is at a younger age, like joemktg son.  The vast majority of those players contact us about joining our roster.  These are mostly kids we have seen in Area Code, Team USA, East Coast Pro or PG Jr National/National events.  These kids project to be selected in the MLB Amateur Draft and, for the most part, have already verbally committed to a college.  Putting a noncommitted player on this roster is doing a disservice to the player.

We also have "regional" teams, like the North and South.  Many of those players are found through word of mouth referrals from high school and college coaches.  The rest of them are found through our tryouts.  While we select those players from within a certain region, we fully expect them to compete nationally...and they do.  We routinely get players on those "regional" teams committed to ACC/SEC schools.  As a matter of fact, our "regional" teams had more kids verballing to National Champion, UVA, than our "national" teams.  

Our Jupiter rosters for EvoShield Canes and Team EvoShield are comprised of mostly kids from within our program, with Team Evo being most of our Underclass players. In looking at our EvoCanes Jupiter roster, we added 2 arms that were not with us in the summer and all but 5 players were with us during the summer.  As for Team Evo, we added 4 players in the fall that were on that roster.  Other than that, they all played for us in the summer and/or previous year.  Typically, this is done because a pitcher has been shut down due to approaching an innings limit for the year or an "advisor" shutting down a player.

Many of our competition claim that if you are on a regional team, there is no value to the Canes.  With over 100 EvoCanes signing Division I scholarships per year, this is hardly the case.  I will put our "regional" teams against ANY national team out there...ANY national team. 

Redbird5,

I appreciate you letting everyone know how the Canes operate with the different Canes  teams because I do believe there has been some confusion over the years with two main topics:

1.  Players are picked up all over the country for Summer WWBA and Fall Jupiter or

Fort Myers which I know is not the case and there have been  very few exceptions  

to this.

2.  Canes are only for kids that can play major D1.   Far from the truth as you hit on

that many Canes players go on to play mid major D1, D2, D3, and JUCO.   There is

spot for any caliber player in the organization

The system of contacts with college coaches at all levels in the one thing that I find that seems to set the Canes apart from the rest.  . 

Evoshield Canes Mid Atlantic 2016 Commitments/Signings:

Guy-St. Mary's

Bergh-Villanova

Bruno-Villanova

Tovsky-Elon

Page-UVA

Fuqua-VMI

Brickman-Siena

Grammes-Xavier

Carter-Longwood

James-LaSalle

Engh-High Point

McGettrick-McGill

Pyne-Catholic

Enders-Holy Cross

Jumper-Christoper Newport

This 20 man team won the 2015 Super 17's in New Jersey (where more than 90 schools were present) by wading through "national" teams and this Canes' team's players generated truly significant interest from D1/D2/D3 schools outside the ACC/SEC, in part because of its success at that venue among others.

All but four of the 15 schools above are D1. Additionally there remain uncommitted several players whose goal is an Ivy League school and that process runs later. The only 2017 on the roster is being recruited by D1s.

The value of playing well at the highest levels of competition cannot be ignored, regardless of the program. However, the Evoshield Canes' success consistently draws attention to its various teams' players at every venue. Perhaps some of these kids will be drafted, but the schools to which they have committed are, in every case, excellent.

NotThatGuy posted:

Evoshield Canes Mid Atlantic 2016 Commitments/Signings:

Guy-St. Mary's

Bergh-Villanova

Bruno-Villanova

Tovsky-Elon

Page-UVA

Fuqua-VMI

Brickman-Siena

Grammes-Xavier

Carter-Longwood

James-LaSalle

Engh-High Point

McGettrick-McGill

Pyne-Catholic

Enders-Holy Cross

Jumper-Christoper Newport

This 20 man team won the 2015 Super 17's in New Jersey (where more than 90 schools were present) by wading through "national" teams and this Canes' team's players generated truly significant interest from D1/D2/D3 schools outside the ACC/SEC, in part because of its success at that venue among others.

All but four of the 15 schools above are D1. Additionally there remain uncommitted several players whose goal is an Ivy League school and that process runs later. The only 2017 on the roster is being recruited by D1s.

The value of playing well at the highest levels of competition cannot be ignored, regardless of the program. However, the Evoshield Canes' success consistently draws attention to its various teams' players at every venue. Perhaps some of these kids will be drafted, but the schools to which they have committed are, in every case, excellent.

That's impressive. One minor point: the 2016 Ivy League recruits would generally have received a "likely letter," and would have applied early action/early decision . . . In other words, they would have already "commited." If not, they could still get in and play there, but it would be akin to being a recruited walk-on. Maybe Fenway South or another poster has more up-to-date information, but that's the way I've seen it work.

That is NOT what I said.  You originally said "best of the best" in reference to the Canes National teams...and I referenced that in my reply.  Please re-read my post. I've NEVER described our kids as best of the best. I've NEVER thought that was an accurate statement. They are normal kids with an above average ability to play a game.  They have drive and work ethic.  

As for the "spot for any caliber player", I will clarify that.  Personally, I disagree with it.  It takes a lot more than ability to play on our teams. We have asked players to leave such as a LHP throwing 88-90 because he didn't have the type of character we look for. There's a lot more to being an EvoShield Cane than being a great baseball player.  I interpret Cavs1's statement to address baseball ability, and I agree with that portion.  The Canes have alumni at all levels of college baseball. And we work just as hard to help a kid find a D3 home as we do for our ACC/SEC talents. 

2019Dad posted:

That's impressive. One minor point: the 2016 Ivy League recruits would generally have received a "likely letter," and would have applied early action/early decision . . . In other words, they would have already "commited." If not, they could still get in and play there, but it would be akin to being a recruited walk-on. Maybe Fenway South or another poster has more up-to-date information, but that's the way I've seen it work.

2019- That is the case with the Ivy's. 2016's would have received their "Likely Letters" early to Mid-November (By NLI signing date)- and asked to apply ED/EA. Generally some schools allow for a preferred (recruited) walk-on who will be asked to try out if they get accepted into school.  Tend to see that more with pitchers, esp LHP, though one 2015 is a fast MI at one school. He got accepted into 6 Ivies and apparently is also a fantastic violinist!  Majority of offers should be in July-August before senior year, as the final grades/scores are known and team needs are set and met. 

The 20 man team at the 2015 Super 17's was very good, solid at every position. They made an effort to rotate pitching and catchers every inning or so to get their guys seen and on the gun by the many coaches behind home plate (this is what they did against us).  That is one of the tournaments to go to if you want exposure to coaches.  I will say that the coaches we talked to were looking for arms.  Lots of very good teams that weekend.

@2FORU:

"The 20 man team at the 2015 Super 17's was very good, solid at every position. They made an effort to rotate pitching and catchers every inning or so to get their guys seen and on the gun by the many coaches behind home plate (this is what they did against us).  That is one of the tournaments to go to if you want exposure to coaches.  I will say that the coaches we talked to were looking for arms.  Lots of very good teams that weekend."

We  in the south tend to overlook the opportunities and venues north of us, where a team can play at very good facilities against very good competition. The Super 17's  was an excellent tournament, well-run and definitely productive for NTGson's team. The number of coaches and scouts and the schools and teams they represent was nowhere near PG-WWBA's but came close to 100 if not more. NTGson was offered by schools who saw him at the Super 17s.

However, I was amazed when we traveled to play at the Rutgers facility. Its lack of amenities and support in contrast to its fellow Big 10 teams is amazing. The start time for his game at Rutgers was 8:00 or 8:30 AM. The groundskeepers arrived 30 minutes before game time and informed players from both teams that the batting cages were off-limits and to vacate them immediately. The kids were treated as interlopers. Not one member of the baseball coaching staff was present. There are no lights. The artificial turf surface is very good but all other elements of the facility fall short of many high school fields, much less other college fields.

D.C. Baseball posted:

How do the Canes (national and regional) teams  compare to the other large organizations? What are the pros and cons?

On the national level they're as good as it gets. Easily a top 5 program, if not the best. You know you're at the top when the guys are no longer worried about where they're committed, but how much it'll take to sign them. Their 15 and 16u teams could take out many D3 teams. The only con is playing time. Massive rosters with draft talent is not great for playing time. But on that note, you know what you're signing up for. It is also a they find you situation, no tryout for that. 

On a regional basis it varies, very hit or miss. Some are very good, others flat out stink. But I'd say in general you're getting above average baseball. They often play more regional tournaments, then the WWBA. They'll get a handful of guys to commit anywhere from the mid D1 range all the way down to JUCO. Many won't advance beyond HS though. I would avoid this unless the guy running one of the regional teams is a reputable local baseball guy with connections. Just don't expect coaches to follow the Mid Atlantic team wherever you go because of the name. It's a completely different world from the National team and often time the funding for the bus. 

I would say if you're not National or American make sure you do your homework. I think looking at their record/history at the WWBA is a pretty good measuring stick of how good the team really is. 

2019 played for a different national level team so we've run into them a bunch. If you have any questions feel free to PM. 

Last edited by PABaseball

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.