Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I only personally know one baseball situation. The older kid had become a freshman All American and all conference on his way to becoming a first round pick at a ranked program. Junior year his younger brother arrived as a freshman. He was a D1 prospect but nowhere near his brother’s talent. My personal observation was he coattailed his way in on assumptions he was the same player.

After freshman year the kid was farmed out to a JuCo on the premise of returning. After a successful season at a JuCo he wasn’t offered a return. He went onto have a solid career at a mid major.

In softball the second twin received an offer as a package deal with the studdette twin. They were inseparable. It was the only way to lock in the studdette. After two seasons of hardly playing the second twin was released. It could have been she was dumber than a bag of rocks. 

Last edited by RJM

Interesting question.

I'm very familiar with several siblings going to the same college to play baseball.   A couple overlapped, and a couple didn't.  I knew some twins that went to the same D2 (both on academic and athletic scholarships).   They did extremely well there.  Great opportunity for them.   

My observation (among the older/younger siblings that I know) is the younger sibling gets the benefit of the doubt in the recruiting process.   There is no question in my mind.   One family in particular I know very well, and I know the younger son had D1 mid-major offers but no D1 P5 offers except where his older brother went and excelled.   The younger brother's P5 career was less than ordinary.   He would not have taken the D1 P5 offer if it wasn't for their academic "branding".   In terms of baseball, he would have been better off (playing time) at the D1 Mid-Major.  Obviously there are pros and cons, and each decision is unique to the opportunity. 

Just my experience and observations.

I know of a situation that is starting to get sticky. Older bro gets recruited to school, signs, shows up and gets decent playing time as a freshman playing behind a senior. All good things to say about coach and the school. Younger bro commits as a sophomore.

Year 2 for older bro and there is a juco transfer there to split time with him at the position. Older bro unhappy. I can't imagine the younger brother stays committed. There is a good chance neither remain part of the program. Younger brother a stud, will be interesting to see how that ends.

No first hand knowledge (my 2018 is a non-athlete). I have known of 2 sets of twins: the first were a LHH/P and his brother was a RHH/MI at Hamilton College. Currently twins play at Roger Williams (again a MI & P). One family of 3 brothers I know well were/are all RH pitchers at Harvard (2015, 2016, 2019 HS grads).  It does depend upon the siblings but especially in this last case, the school factors in as well.

My twin sons played D1 together at two different schools. First school dropped baseball in the fall of their junior year and they both transferred to the same P5 school that year. They weren't a "package deal" as some people liked to think, and they weren't hell bent on being together, it just worked out that way. They are close and competitive with each in a positive way. Both were pitchers, similar in ability, and equally successful in my mind. All in all it was a positive experience and certainly unique. Both were drafted their junior year by different teams. But they ended up in the same league the first couple of years. They actually lived with the same host family one year who lived about halfway between their teams. It's funny how things work out sometimes. 

Thanks all. This is a potential situation for my youngest. 2020's school didn't realize he had a brother, 2022 pitched in a PBR  event yesterday and was on social media, etc. College coach reached out to 2020, and 2020s old summer coach. Baseball wise 2022 has interest from better baseball schools (RHP up to 88 this winter), but trying to see what other's experience was like. I can say, I don't don' think my 2020 was thrilled with the idea.....

Different sport, very different dynamic (subjective versus objective performance measure, for one), but I personally know a dozen sets of swim siblings at the same colleges.  There is actually one set of three siblings at my swimmer's college.  Not sure why it is so common in swim and less so in baseball, but it has generally worked out for the swimmers.  

2022NYC posted:

Will they give you a tuition discount?

There was a poster here a long time ago with twins.  Coach offered one player the scholarship (possibly full) but the other received 0 and that was the parent's concern.  Had to do with "counters"....coach gets a 2 players for 1 head count.

Son personally played with siblings, LHP and OF.  Worked out very well for all concerned (coach, team, parents).

keewart posted:
2022NYC posted:

There was a poster here a long time ago with twins.  Coach offered one player the scholarship (possibly full) but the other received 0 and that was the parent's concern.  Had to do with "counters"....coach gets a 2 players for 1 head count.

Son personally played with siblings, LHP and OF.  Worked out very well for all concerned (coach, team, parents).

Ha! That was me I believe!

https://community.hsbaseballwe...938#2982475077312938

lhprhp posted:
keewart posted:
2022NYC posted:

Yep!  Golly I have a good memory!  That was 10 years ago!!!  Are your boys still playing?

I coached brothers who played at the same university.  Both were highly competitive.  Both were starters from day one of being at the school.  They were 2 years apart in birth.  Both are at the top of the record books with the younger one breaking his schools and the NCAA record at that time for hits.  I think they made each other better.  

keewart posted:
lhprhp posted:
keewart posted:
2022NYC posted:

Yep!  Golly I have a good memory!  That was 10 years ago!!!  Are your boys still playing?

No, they each played 3-4 seasons in the minors and then were released. Both returned to school #2 and finished their degree. LHP is getting his Masters in Sport Management with an eye to stay in the game. RHP is reporting to spring training today as a coach in AAA. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.