Skip to main content

I have a few questions.
1. Shayne, Sam and or Cade, can you please inform all of us where the $70,000 is going?
2. If this is about rounding up the best talent, why aren't the the Tigers, Patriots, Blackhawks, Panthers and FW Cats involved?
3. What happens to the kids that have been loyal to your respective clubs that aren't invited?
4. Isn't it easy to find places for all these "studs"?
5. Who is going to benefit from this "Super Team" in the summer?
6. What will they be called?
7. If you have "Studs" on each of your club teams, wouldn't it benefit the kids on your summer teams to have those guys go with them during the fall so the scouts can see the "other guys" play and possibly recieve a scholarship?
ballboy,
Instead of trying to stir stuff up, go back to the original post that reads:

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the following league directors:

Cade Griffis at 972 387 3228

Sam Carpenter at 214 707 3680

Shayne Currin at 214 551 9546

And pick up your phone and call one of them and ask your questions directly to the men putting on the league. If you are too scared to call, PM me with your cell number and I will ask one of them to call you.
Posted August 17, 2007 08:42 PM Hide Post
I have a few questions.
1. Shayne, Sam and or Cade, can you please inform all of us where the $70,000 is going?
2. If this is about rounding up the best talent, why aren't the the Tigers, Patriots, Blackhawks, Panthers and FW Cats involved?
3. What happens to the kids that have been loyal to your respective clubs that aren't invited?
7. If you have "Studs" on each of your club teams, wouldn't it benefit the kids on your summer teams to have those guys go with them during the fall so the scouts can see the "other guys" play and possibly recieve a scholarship?

Ballboy,

I have no problem answering your questions.

1. First off it is not $70,000. But we have over $28,000 in bills to pay from the league. The rest of the money is going into a new website company Shayne is buying called [URL=http://www.noneofyourbuckingbusnes.com]

2.They were not involved with starting the league or running but we have players in the league from all teams named. Before the league started we invited 4 of the 5 teams above to be involved in some way or another. They said No.

3. If they played for DBAT last year all were invited. Not sure about the others but I think so.

4.Not really it is very hard. So many good players so little room.

5.Hopefully Me

6.Super Stud Momma’s Boys

7.I before E except after C (receive). Don’t understand this question.
Last edited by KCR
quote:
Originally posted by KCR:
Posted August 17, 2007 08:42 PM Hide Post
I have a few questions.

Ballboy,

I have no problem answering your questions.

1. First off it is not $70,000. But we have over $28,000 in bills to pay from the league. The rest of the money is going into a new website company Shayne is buying called [URL=http://www.noneofyourbuckingbusnes.com]

2.They were not involved with starting the league or running but we have players in the league from all teams named. Before the league started we invited 4 of the 5 teams above to be involved in some way or another. They said No.

3. If they played for DBAT last year all were invited. Not sure about the others but I think so.

4.Not really it is very hard. So many good players so little room.

5.Hopefully Me

6.Super Stud Momma’s Boys

7.I before E except after C (receive). Don’t understand this question.

108 x $650 = $70,200 checks payable to DBAT.
($28,000) in bills to pay from the league.
$42,200 Profit.
Nice work if you can get it.

Don’t let ballboy get under your skin like that Cade.
Knowitall I can tell you do not know me very well. No one gets under my skin. I am a very easy going person. This is really a lot of fun. Just answering some very good questions. But I am more of a face to face type of person. So I do invite with open arms for ballboy to come in my office and ask me these questions and any others he may have. I do not like the hide behind email thing. I do have one question for ball boy. What is your name?
Last edited by KCR
quote:
Originally posted by KCR:
You do not know me very well. No one gets under my skin. I am a very easy going person. This is really a lot of fun. Just answering some very good questions. But I am more of a face to face type of person. So I do invite with open arms for ballboy to come in my office and ask me these questions and any others he may have. I do not like the hide behind email thing. I do have one question for ball boy. What is your name?

Come on [URL=http://www.noneofyourbuckingbusnes.com].
He got you a little.
It's ok we're all human.
1. All profits when all bills are paid will go to us. I beleive all of us have historically charged $500-650 for fall ball. This is the first time we have invited this many kids. 80 kids have signed up and paid and they must think this is a neat idea.

2. I personally phoned the Tigers, Patriots, Panthers and FW Cats and each team declined to join us.

3. Each member of our 16 and 17u marshals team was invited. i can not speak for Sam and Cade.

4. It is very hard to find a place for each of these kids. We will do our best to utilize all of our college contacts.

5. The Marshals, DBAT, and Mustangs will all stay the same next summer.

6. Marshals, DBAT, and Mustangs

7. I am not sure about your question

Ballboy, these are fair questions. Keep them coming. I dont have a problem with what you ask. I will bet you a dollar that the money "made" will never, ever, ever make up for the money that the three of us have spent out of our own pockets to help kids play baseball in DFW...meals, travel, uniform, fees...I personally will never break even...
So, how is the invited coaches / scout list coming?

Really guys lets play nice....maybe ballboy could agree to have his team play a couple of the Scout Teams in a Showcase and then all the STUDS could get seen.

It is OK that the Tigers and other didn't want to play in a new sandbox...maybe next year they will....or next year we all go back to Showcase travel....I hope by then it won't matter for my boy....but he will still play and I will still pay.

My hope is that this things works...it would beat the heck out of traveling...but $650 is a lot of money..it better work....with all the money we are spending on summer ball and fall ball my kid better get a 33% ride.

No, really I understand all the questions and the intent. I am glad their are men like Cade, Shayne, and Sam out there as well as Tommy and Logan. You guys are all doing a good job, lets keep focused on helping the boys to the next level.

Tim Malone
Last edited by ACowboyFan
quote:
108 x $650 = $70,200 checks payable to DBAT.
($28,000) in bills to pay from the league.
$42,200 Profit.
Nice work if you can get it.

I normally just read these posts and go about my business. But this one has me curious.

if the above figures are correct how was the final figure of $650 per player decided. $42,000 is a lot of money for 2 months work !
I can't speak for Sam or Shayne -- and I would never speak for Cade, even if I could....but....

In discussing the economics of summer baseball, DBAT does not make money (directly). Each team has their own budget, manager, expenses, etc. Ours does not include "fee to Griffis". At least one of the dads digs into his pocket to help -- we don't ask DBAT for money and they don't ask us for money. Our team fee is at or near the DFW "standard". Our group does not have multiple teams in each age group (not a criticism).....each team acts independently.

I guess my point is.....is it wrong for these groups to turn a profit in the fall? From my perspective, the price is set by the market. If the league does not deliver, it will not last long.

JMO.
To All,

A good friend David Pair just told me he thought my post last night was funny but his wife thought it was a little strong. I had no idea that many people do not know my since of humor. For all of you that thought it was strong I apologize. To Ballboy if you have any other questions please call me and I will tell you straight up. Or you can refer to my new website www.noseypeople .com Seriously just call me.

Please anymore more questions call me at 972-387-3228
When my kid looked into the D-bat fall team last year was told the cost was around $300 per player. Team was going to Texas, Baylor, A&M and others to play on the campus. Got that and a shirt & cap. He was not chosen to play. No sour grapes. We found another team. But I do have questions about this fall.

1) So why so much more now and they DON'T get to go to those schools?

2) Also what is the purpose of saying the big team kids will be on the team? We all know that the kids that were studs this past year for the top D-bat, Mustang and Marshal teams have graduated or committed and probly wont play fall. So in reality is this a league of this past summers 16 yearolds and the average 17s that are not being looked at hard by the schools?

So why do it? You guys have good reputations but this all seems kinda suspect.
Last edited by 10-4 good buddy
10-4 good buddy I'm not speaking for Shayne, Cade or Sam but I offer the following comments. Playing a showcase schedule in the fall takes a toll on the players and parents traveling every weekend, especially since many of the players maybe multiple sport participants. It makes sense to me rather than loading up and traveling to Austin, Waco, Lubbock, College Station, etc. different colleges and universities can come to Dallas on Saturday/Sunday and get a first hand look at more players. This is all a new concept and it may not be for everyone. However, let's give it a chance as opposed to questioning the motive. And I believe you make a good point because the recruiters will get a early peek of the 09 players and also some 08 players that opted for a JC may have a better fall season and get a chance for a Division I program.
Last edited by SWAC
SWAC. Once again, we all would like to here it from the 3 guys in charge, not you. Are you saying if someone calls all the Big 12 and SEC head coaches, not assistants and tell them that I can take 4 teams with at least 20 guys that they have all recruited to them, they're going to come here? I promise you that the head coach, head asst., head asst. asst., will stay home and they will send there camp directors on the road.
We don't live in the Dallas area and thus our son won't be a part of the league. But I know that this summer, there have been very few scouts at Sunday games -- much less than Thursday-Saturday. My guess is that they want to spend Sunday at homes with their families. I'll be interested to hear what the turnout is like this fall.
Speaking from the outside looking in and having no affiliation with any of this. I would like to provide thoughts. This is my OPINON I barely know anyone involved

1.First off regarding money... it sounds like a big profit but trust me from running tournaments, camps, showcases, indoor facilities, and fall leagues. There are expenses that no of us no about. They proably will make some money but not as much as you think.

2. Colleges, MLB, agents, crosscheckers come to where talent is. I can call every single school first hand and talk to every school and the response you get is send me rosters or team names. What kids are there? College coaches and scouts no so many more kids than any of us could ever imagine knowing and if they don't know, they know someone who does know. That is why you should always play for someone that has a good reputation and someone you trust.

If I was making a descision I would ask myself how good is that talent? If the talent level is good schools will be there. if you want a school in particular contact them. Have the kid contact them via a phone call or email. It goes a long way. If they don't show up odds are they don't feel as if your son is a right fit for his program(not saying he is not good enough. i.e. positional, money needs). Every program is different and there is a place for everyone.

I hope the league is successful and if it is not right for you. It is not right for you. There is always some where else to play.
Sounds very similar to what Steve Adair and Sam Carpenter did years ago. All games were played at TCA and there were 20-30 scouts in the stands every weekend. Kids drove from all over to play, some from 4-5 hours away.

The best I remember, players could use wood or aluminum. If a batter received 4 balls, he could choose not to take first. The count reverted to 2-2. Umpires called balls, strikes, safes, and outs. Nothing else was called or enforced.

It was like watching a pickup game of the best players in the area. Really fun.
I didnt read much of this thoroughly but I do want to educate people who think they know a lot. A majority of head coaches in major d1 do not go out recruiting on a regular basis. All asst. Coaches do the recruiting, with the volunteer/ops guys still having more input than many peopl know in some cases. I just want to clear tis up because I ve heard many people in the stands acting like they know whats going on and if the head coach isnt recruiting their kid then the school is not interested. NOT TRUE people, quit trying to figure things out and jsut go with the flow. sorry I had to put this up some place.
I am also an outside observer of all the drama taking place and just wanted to add my half a cent (It probably doesn't count for a complete two cents).

#1-Even though I have my own training center and coach my own 16U (now 17U) team, I have sent a lot of my players to the tryouts in order to give them as many options as possible. I don't pretend to be the "all-knowing" baseball resource for North Texas. I know that each organization in this area has different strengths that will help aid these kids and get them the opportunity to play baseball beyond HS. Why not take advantage of their strengths as well. Sam, Shayne, and Cade all three have tremendous track records regarding successful leagues and of course have numerous connections in the college baseball world. What more can you ask for in putting together a fall league?

#2 I am more impressed by the combined effort to work together for the area's players in a time where so many "individuals" make helping these players too much of a business with no regard to helping the kids out. I applaud you guys for getting together and thinking of this great idea.

#3 The cost of the league does sound high at first, but I will guarantee you that you will not find a better opportunity for your son to take advantage of at a cheaper rate and have the quaility assurance you have with the three organizations running this thing. You have to take into account when looking at that price: a)Cade, Shayne, and Sam aren't out there for their sons!!! (I am willing to pay someone more when I know they out there for my son and taking time away from their own families)b)Professional coaches bringing quality college scouts in to watch your son (Sandy made a good point about cutting out travel expenses from parents' pockets with this league) without having to leave the metroplex c)Opportunity!!! It is a huge opportunity for so many kids that haven't gotten the attention they deserve.

I have used up way too space on this thread to share my opinion, but I think we spend way too much time trying to shed negative light on so many positive things. Shayne, Cade, and Sam are all in some form or fashion one of my "competitors" business-wise, but when it comes to helping out the kids in this area, there aren't too many better!

Chris Anderson
Link copied to your clipboard.