Skip to main content

Is it better for my 2016 to play fall travel ball this year, Or should he focus on working out and getting stronger and faster during the fall? He currently has a couple offers from some teams to play for this fall, but his high school team had a team meeting last week and the head coach laid down some expectations for the fall. They will have pitching workouts with the pitching coach twice a week and fall 6 a.m. workouts starting in mid September. Also he has been working out at a facility once a week with the S&C coach for 6 months and has had good results, but he wants to move the workouts up to twice a week. My concerns are that with morning workouts, S&C workouts, pitching workouts, travel practice, and games on the weekend, he will be burned out by the time spring and summer comes. He hasn't really gotten a lot of looks from colleges but multiple sources have told him he could definitely play d2-d3 level baseball in college. Should we also be woried about him not being exposed to coaches this fall as well? Our options right now are to focus on working out and getting strong this fall and winter, or playing travel ball this fall, and getting exposure and getting more reps but not being able to lift as much. What's the best option? Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

These are tough questions that people are dealing with on a regular basis.  Junior year is a tough year with many priorities to juggle and many challenges.  I would look at it from a goal perspective.   What is it that the Fall travel team can do for him to meet his goals?  What is it the high school training program can do to meet his long term goals?   I would suggest your son participate where there is the best chance to provide a stepping stone to the next level in your son's goals.  For some this is the high school program and others it is travel baseball.   Some college's recruit through a pipeline of talent that comes from travel teams.  Other colleges rely on a combination of baseball talent and academics where it wouldn't matter either way if he played Fall baseball or travel team.  Good luck!

PS..Of course all of this is secondary to his academics.  JMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.