Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not a lot of news in this - more facts supporting what we see.  The most interesting aspect of this article was that it hits on the building sentiment for rules changes.  There have been increasing numbers of strings here on the intersection of K's, contact, shifts and the Homer. 

But seeing the dullards that write about sports for a living catching onto the idea that rules changes might be in order may mean that we are closer to that than I have thought up until now.  These numbskulls are the ultimate lead from behind people so if they are talking about it - then someone has put the idea their noggin.

Once in the open air - the chances of change increase significantly.  With any luck someone will ask Manfred next week and he will answer.  If he does it should be an interesting topic here.

luv baseball posted:

Not a lot of news in this - more facts supporting what we see.  The most interesting aspect of this article was that it hits on the building sentiment for rules changes.  There have been increasing numbers of strings here on the intersection of K's, contact, shifts and the Homer. 

But seeing the dullards that write about sports for a living catching onto the idea that rules changes might be in order may mean that we are closer to that than I have thought up until now.  These numbskulls are the ultimate lead from behind people so if they are talking about it - then someone has put the idea their noggin.

Once in the open air - the chances of change increase significantly.  With any luck someone will ask Manfred next week and he will answer.  If he does it should be an interesting topic here.

I was more interested in the velocity per year chart than the article. On an iPad it was too much hassle to break out the chart from the article.

2019Dad posted:

AT the 17U WWBA this year, almost 300 pitchers touched 90 or higher (out of 392 teams):

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ev...ault.aspx?event=5898

Five years ago the number was 110 pitchers (out of 256 teams) in the 2013 WWBA. That's  a pretty drastic increase.

I know I shouldn't say this , But I will:

Could this be similar to the PG All American Classic  at Petco last year where all the speeds seemed "inflated by a few MPH here and there.."

It just seems out of line based on everything I have seen on the West Coast those figures seem a bit high. 

Probably a topic for another thread.

Do you go to the PG event with the inflated guns or to a normal event? 

Last edited by fishnsail
fishnsail posted:
2019Dad posted:

AT the 17U WWBA this year, almost 300 pitchers touched 90 or higher (out of 392 teams):

https://www.perfectgame.org/Ev...ault.aspx?event=5898

Five years ago the number was 110 pitchers (out of 256 teams) in the 2013 WWBA. That's  a pretty drastic increase.

I know I shouldn't say this , But I will:

Could this be similar to the PG All American Classic  at Petco last year where all the speeds seemed "inflated by a few MPH here and there.."

It just seems out of line based on everything I have seen on the West Coast those figures seem a bit high. 

Probably a topic for another thread.

Do you go to the PG event with the inflated guns or to a normal event? 

I don't see this with my kid or the kids on our team.  Most of them have been verified by alternate sources and were similar at PG events. It isn't hard to see a gun at Lakepoint with all the coaches and they all seem pretty much the same as what is flashing on the screen.

My favorite anecdote was a couple of parents discussing the Lakepoint radar when my son was pitching -- guy argued that their team's pitcher was throwing faster than that radar and my son was throwing slower. Not sure how the same radar could be deflating one kid's numbers and inflating the other's.   While my kid hit a personal high, it was a couple of MPHs harder, not 5+.

Initech posted:

My favorite anecdote was a couple of parents discussing the Lakepoint radar when my son was pitching -- guy argued that their team's pitcher was throwing faster than that radar and my son was throwing slower. Not sure how the same radar could be deflating one kid's numbers and inflating the other's.   While my kid hit a personal high, it was a couple of MPHs harder, not 5+.

Velocities posted on the scoreboard at Lakepoint are with the hand held Stalker (or more appropriately, leaned against a box of baseballs).  The official velocities recorded for the tournament, daily leaders, top velocities etc are from Trackman.  Their is often a slight difference, some due to rounding.

Signed,

Ghost of PGSTAFF

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.