Skip to main content

I am looking at getting a good infield dirt mix (60% sand, 20% clay, 20% silt, screened) to bring the dirt level up even with the grass. Then hopefully top it off with Diamond Pro.

Here's my question: What are the best steps?

Spread the mix, then nail drag it in, the roll it? Spread the mix, mat drag it to level it, then roll it? When you the spread the topping (Diamond Pro), do you want to roll it again?

Not sure if there is a preferred way.

Thanks for any input

"Swing hard in case you hit something" Gary Ward

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi TCB1

I'm certain that you will get some other methods/opinions on here, but heres what I do.

How much material are you adding? What the drainage of the current infield? If your going to spwend all this money on a good infield mix and diamond pro, make certain that your starting with the best base that you can.

First of all, turn over your existing surface and remove any weeds, overgrowth, stones etc. that exist. This will allow the overlayer that your adding to bind with the lower layer.

Same thing when you get to adding the diamond pro....after you get the surface up to the height you want, loosen the top couple of inches and work the diamond pro into the entire top layer. Don't just lay it on top of the surface, you will have a much more playable surface if you have the calcined clay mixed in. It will take more product that way, but you will be much more satisfied with the result over a longer period of time because as the surface blows away, and it does, there will still be D pro in the surface to keep it dry and true.

Hope this helps, Mike
quote:
Originally posted by TCB1:
I am looking at getting a good infield dirt mix (60% sand, 20% clay, 20% silt, screened) to bring the dirt level up even with the grass. Then hopefully top it off with Diamond Pro.

Here's my question: What are the best steps?

Spread the mix, then nail drag it in, the roll it? Spread the mix, mat drag it to level it, then roll it? When you the spread the topping (Diamond Pro), do you want to roll it again?

Not sure if there is a preferred way.

Thanks for any input

Bringing in good infield dirt may be a misnomer.
Check to make sure, then check again, then verify.
In GOD we trust, all others, we verify.

Diamond Pro is great stuff, yet works much better if already been worked into the soil. The initial rake in, is entirely dependent on the quality of the dirt being brought in.

At a below miniscule budget, it took about
a decent 1 1/2 seasons to get the infield dirt and Diamond Pro decent for amateur play. (It was not the big leagues though). Also fixing low spots are major headaches.
Last edited by Bear
When I have seen infields rebuilt, the first step is to nail drag the existing infield then carefully remove all extra material (e.g. weeds, rocks etc.).

Then add about two inches of new material and nail drag that again so as to mix with the layer below.

Drag it to make it level, shooting with a laser level.

Roll it (ideally with a steam roller type machine)

Add another inch and nail drag to mix, drag, level and repeat until you are up to the proper level.

What you want to avoid is having layers built up where there is a hard division between layers - this will give you all kinds of drainage problems in the future.
Last edited by 08Dad
Thanks for all the input. I am getting a screened mixture of sand/clay/silt that is (or should be) pretty "rock Free".

I plan on nail dragging and tillng the exisiting base, then spreading about 20 tons of the new mix. Then tilling and or nail dragging that. Then putting the Diamond Pro I have and spreading it on the field. Then nail dragging that in.

I think laying the Diamond Pro on top makes it look prettier (nice and deep red), but I agree, it washes away more. And I'd rather have good drainage than the good look.

The only part I'm going to have to skip is the laser grading. I've checked around and it is just too expensive for me to afford. I'm going to have to trust in repeated dragging to get it level.

I should be able to rent or borrow a roller to pack it down.

Thanks again for everyone's input...

Actually, I have another question: Where we need grass (1b cutout, 3b cutout and in front of the Mound and home plate), would you put sod down, or would you till, put down good soil and plant seed? I kind of want to try the seed and use this new "high traffic" seed and see if it stays intact any better. Any thoughts? Yes, we do have water availability to keep sod OR seed moist.

Thanks again,
Mike
Re getting a laser level - ask your league parents - someone has to be a contractor. These days nearly all general contractors have a laser level. I know our local high school talked a dad into helping out with this over two weekends (when the work was being done) in exchange for a free advertising sign in the outfield.

Another option would be a local college if they have a surveying / engineering program. The students are usually out measuring the quad twelve ways to sunday - they should be able to shoot a baseball field instead. Talk to the department chair and he can point you to the right professor.

Re the grass, how long will you be able to keep people off of it? You will need probably a good 6-8 weeks before roots are established enough to take cleats.
Last edited by 08Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.