Skip to main content

So I manage a team with a terrible all dirt infield. Hard as a rock. Was looking for any quick easy advice as to how we can break it up and/or add dirt or clay to soften it up. Long term we’re hoping to go astroturf but I’m looking for something in the interim to just make it a little more playable, and quite frankly, safe.

Thanks in advance!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Back when my kids were LL/CR age - we had a field like that which the middle school softball team used too.  The roto-tiller is great to get started, but what really helped was periodic scraping with a heavy metal drag (using google try "DR Drag Harrow" - pic below). With teeth down it scrapes 1-2" off and keeps things soft. With teeth up it smooths things out. The other thing to keep close eye on is the build up at bases and not run the drag in the same direction every time.  If/when budget allows getting some sort of dirt field conditioner (we used a product from Turface) added will help with being able to get games in when [heavy] rains come.  The stuff wasn't cheap for our league, it sucked putting it down, but we got games in for years that prior to adding the product we'd have to cancel before.

DR Drag Harrow

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.