Skip to main content

If you were diagnosed today and Spring break is two months away, not sure why you would wait. In my opinion the sooner the better. Pre-planning with all involved, teachers, coaches, trainers etc...will make the process much more manageable. Son had the surgery on a Friday and was back in class Monday morning with one arm in a sling/brace (lefty thrower and writer) and the other arm bandaged. First day or two he had classmates help him with notes until he could start taking them on his laptop, and then got pretty good at writing right handed. As far as rehab, this was strictly set up by the Doctor, Coaches and trainers so they were able to set his schedules around his school.
I realize everyone is different and the approach could be different as well. This is just how our situation worked best.

Good luck!
OH BBmom,

Sorry to hear it was a complete tear but at least you now know and can take the steps necessary to get back on the field. I would think that the Indians surgeon would be an excellent doctor to perform the surgery. Personally I wouldn't wait for break to have the surgery for two reasons. My son is only 15 and had the surgery on a Thursday, that Friday (Christmas eve of all days) he was hurting a bit but by that Saturday (Christmas)he was back to his old self. He did have the next week off but could have gone to school if he had to. He had the tendon out of the wrist on the same arm he throws with and he was able to write with it easily when he got back to school. I think your son would likely handle it well as well. Schedule it on a wed or Thursday if possible and he can have the weekend at home to recoup. The second reason while not as important, is that it takes 10-12 months to get back to game readiness. You'll want everyday possible between now and then to rehab and be ready for next season. I know the "politically correct" answer would be to miss as little of school as possible and in a perfect world that is what you'd shoot for. But your son is already missing a year of ball and I'm sure he doesn't want to miss a chunk of next season as well rehabbing because he took 6-8 weeks to have the surgery over spring break which pushed his rehab schedule well into the season. I know that isn't the supposed "right way" to look at it but I think as a student athlete it is a realistic way to look at it. Just my opinion is all.

I hope it all works out well for your son!!! I would think touching base with the coach and his staff would be a good idea. Rehab starts within the first couple of weeks so the training staff there at the school should be able to assist with that. I would think an email to the coach asking if he thinks a sit down meeting would be a good idea or not would not be a bad idea. Mind you son is only in high school but we've kept him on the loop since day 1. And the school trainer is assisting my son with his limited rehab each day after school. so the school is involved with the process.
Redsox,

Thank you for the good wishes. I too would like to have the surgery as soon as possible. His appointment with the surgeon is on the 13th. We won't know until then how soon the surgery can be scheduled. I guess we are at the mercy of the doctor's schedule. My son is adamant that he will only miss one season. He is determined to be back for next season.

I did email the coach after son told him about the injury. He had been texting the coaches to keep them informed, so it wasn't a total shock to them.

Please keep up the posts with your son's progress. I wish the best for him and hope he has a successful recovery.
I made the suggestion regarding surgery spring break, because I thought that most are returning to school and isn't going to classes what it is all about, in the end, their education? This can also be a great opportunity to take summer classes and concentrate on school.
He won't have to miss another season, but chances are next season regardless he will NOT have a full load. I am not sure that people understand that this is a very long process, and even after surgery, it takes a LONG time to recover accuracy on the mound. Plus it will be his first season of college pitching. Summer 12 should be the goal for getting on the mound and really grinding it out, but then he can have lots of credits under his belt and paid for (depending on the scholarship).
JMO, true it has to be done, I would think that you would discuss the option with the coaches as to when they feel it would be best, depending classes, etc.
I would be surprised if it "heals itself." Ligament has a very small healing chance. And with it being a "complete tear" I would all but rule out it healing itself. On the other hand, the surgeon may be waiting for the bone bruise and tendon damage to possibly heal first...

I would say at this point you have two choices: follow this surgeon's plan or get another surgeon to take a look.

Good luck.
we were told that a significant or full tear would more than likely not ever heal enough to pitch, but being that he was 18 the doctor said he would understand and do what ever he could if we wanted to try 6 months rest and rehab first...also mentioned PRP therapy but said he had not really had any success with it on the UCL. We decided on surgery and after surgery was finished he told us we made the right choice because it was completley torn and never would have healed enough on its on for him to pitch competitively in college.
OHBBmom

We went through that with my son. Surgeon wanted to see if rehab would help before doing the surgery. This is when we found out how weak his shoulder really was and that it likely helped lead to his breakdown. The 6 weeks of rehab did strengthen his shoulder but did nothing for his UCL. After the surgery it was apparent that all the rehab in the world wouldn't have helped as it was torn in two places. The only good is the shoulder was stronger going into the surgery then it would have been.
Red,
It's funny you mention the weakness in the shoulder. My son is a college senior. Because of where he's at school, he is very, very strong and in great shape. When the Mets team Dr. saw him, he said the decelerator muscles in his back, behind his shoulder, were exceptionally weak for a person of his size and velocity and quite likely contributed significantly to his problem.

So, even as a senior, with three years of hard work underneath his belt, there can be deficiencies in training and preparation.
Last edited by CPLZ
quote:
Originally posted by OH BBMom:
So it's a moot point at this time. Doctor does not want to operate until he rehabs for six weeks, says there's a 50/50 chance it will heal on its own. Anyone out there have success with this method?

Who is assuming responsibility for injury? School?
If this is under your private insurance it could be a protocol they require to consider operation, as TJS may not be considered necessary. If the school were handling it, they's get it done.

Just a thought as to why he wants to rehab other than what bulldog has suggested.
quote:
Who is assuming responsibility for injury? School?
If this is under your private insurance it could be a protocol they require to consider operation, as TJS may not be considered necessary. If the school were handling it, they's get it done.

Just a thought as to why he wants to rehab other than what bulldog has suggested.

That's something to think about too TPM! I hadn't really, but it's possible that your personal insurance won't cover it. If the injury occurred during a school practice, it's possible that the athletic department's insurance may cover it. The thing is that at least where I went to school, the athletic department's insurance was secondary. It did not kick in until the athlete's personal insurance made payment.

If this is the case, have the kid talk to the team's athletic trainer. S/he would know how to go through that whole process...
Sorry I haven't responded in a while, I've been a little under the weather.

I also misunderstood what we had been told about our son's elbow. (I hear good pain meds will do that.) Evidently, the plan is to rehab for 6 weeks. Because the doc will be at spring training in 6 weeks, and son's team will be in Fla., they are going to go a little longer with the rehab. If the rehab goes OK, son will start a throwing program, possibly leading to pitching this season. My first reaction was, "What?!?" My son latched on to this right away, because in his mind it gives him a chance to play this year. Doctor said that dozens and dozens of ML pitchers pitch without a UCL. Anyone else ever heard of this?

BTW, whenever we got back to school, son found out that he had made the 25 man roster for the #1 ranked DIII. Not too bad for a freshman.
Interesting thread. My 15 year old son goes under the knife wednesday morning for his torn UCL. The UCL is all but totally gone and the previous two orthopedists both diagnosed "tendonitis". He is a sophomore so he will miss this season and the summer but it would have been worse had it torn next year.

His problem was lack of development in the shoulder muscles, tiring out and dropping his arm, etc. Number of innings and pitch counts were never an issue. He is 6'4" and still growing so I wonder if that had anything to do with it as well.

Anyway best of luck to all the players undergoing this procedure and parents, be sure to get multiple opinions!
I took my son to his physical therapy appointment yesterday. It was a month and a day (32 days) after his surgery. He has nearly full range of motion in his arm with very little pain left. All the steri-strips have fallen off and the incision is almost totally healed over. He had the deep tissue massage with ultra sound for the first time. They also added 2lb weights to some of the exercises and added bands to some as well. The head therapist was quite pleased with his progress and told him he must be a fast healer...lol. I told him he's had a lot of practice healing over the years Razz. He goes back in two weeks and likely will lose the brace at that time if all goes well. I know it is extremely early in the whole rehab schedule but it is nice to see he is right on schedule!!
Here is an update on my son's treatment.

His rehab was going so well that the trainer called the doctor and said that son would be able to throw sooner than expected. He has had no pain at all with rehab. He will be allowed to begin a throwing program on 2/11. If all goes well, he will be able to pitch by the end of the program. Not sure yet how long that will be. I guess we will know in a few weeks what will happen this year.
Redsox and OH BBmom,

It's very good hearing about the fast recovery for both your sons. I know inside the emotions and hope that you have for your sons, and the roller coaster you all have been on during this time.

I suppose the one thing that has always been said on here about post-TJS is to not rush getting back. It could be detrimental. I'm sure you both already know this.

Best wishes to you and your sons over these next few weeks and months.

YGD
Well I took my son to see the Physical Therapist yesterday. He is at 6 1/2 weeks post-op. Therapist was impressed with son's recovery to date. The brace is gone now, no need for it. son has full range of motion with just a hint of discomfort when he bends the arm to touch the back of his shoulder. This is common and due to the slight swelling still in the elbow. We are now in the first "boring stage" (PT's words) as it is another 8 weeks or so of doing light rehab (bands, 1 and 2 lb weights on some exercises)before considering the throwing program. We knew that was the schedule and that even if the wound is healing well outside it will still take some time for the inside to heal well. Now it is time to get the arm, shoulder, wrist etc... prepared to support the elbow when it is time for the throwing program. Son was happy to lose the brace and looks forward to putting in the work to be ready for the next phase in two months. We don't go back for another 4 weeks now. Tomorrow is the follow up with the surgeon and hopefully he too will be pleased with the progress. so far so good Smile

One good thing has come from all this it seems. School coaches are pushing proper arm care. Son went to the team workout over the weekend at the indoor facility and before anyone could take time on the mound they had to warm up using the bands and doing several of the throwers 10 exercises to properly warm up. Made son feel good that maybe his set back will be used to make sure others don't follow in his footsteps! In prior years there was no set warm up procedures..you did your own thing if anything more then throwing the ball around some before taking the mound. Nice to see that the coaches are being more proactive.
Last edited by redsox8191
My son is now nearing the 7 month mark post TJ surgery. So far other than alittle feeling of weakness he says his arm feels good and better each time he throws and is now throwing from 110 to 150ft. He is justabout ready to throw off the mound at 1/2 to 3/4 speed at 45 and 60 ft. 1st week says 30 throws at 45 ft then 10 throw at 60 ft. Does anyone have any advice or experience they would like to share about this stage of the rehab?
To the TJ patients,

After 10 months and 15 days, son was able to jog back out to the mound and get an inning in against the Houston Cougars. While I would love to report a three up three down all on K's, in reality, he has a lot more work to do to get back to where he was, but just seeing him out there able to compete after all the hard work was a blessing. At this point (coaches might disagree Smile), results are irrelevant, progression and remaining healthy are the goals for the foreseeable future. While son admitted that it was/is a bit awkward, and location was probably the most difficult part, he was thrilled to be able to get back out there. Today son states arm is sore, but nothing unusual. Hopefully with continued hard work and some good luck along the way, the progression and health will continue. Good luck to all who are or will be going through the process.
As for the results:
1 inning
1 hit
1 walk
1 K
1 run

It was a fantastic feeling! Wink
Last edited by Danny Boydston
Danny,

That is awesome news!! 10 1/2 months is pretty good time in getting back on the mound. Hopefully the feel for pitching comes back to him. Just getting back out there must have been a scary yet awesome feeling for him...and you too!

You hear of many who have....did he pick up any velocity after the surgery?

son is a long way away from taking a mound again...he is doing well but is only 8 1/2 weeks post surgery. Just doing the rehab till he can touch a ball again likely in April or early May.

I hope Adam has a great season..we will be watching from afar here in NH.
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Boydston:
To the TJ patients,

After 10 months and 15 days, son was able to jog back out to the mound and get an inning in against the Houston Cougars. While I would love to report a three up three down all on K's, in reality, he has a lot more work to do to get back to where he was, but just seeing him out there able to compete after all the hard work was a blessing. At this point (coaches might disagree Smile), results are irrelevant, progression and remaining healthy are the goals for the foreseeable future. While son admitted that it was/is a bit awkward, and location was probably the most difficult part, he was thrilled to be able to get back out there. Today son states arm is sore, but nothing unusual. Hopefully with continued hard work and some good luck along the way, the progression and health will continue. Good luck to all who are or will be going through the process.
As for the results:
1 inning
1 hit
1 walk
1 K
1 run

It was a fantastic feeling! Wink

Congratulations. Heres to continued succuss and good health. Keep us posted.
Thanks redsox and hisbiggest.

As you know, it's a long and hard journey for both the parents and the player. We have been fortunate to have a smooth rehab (knock on wood), and hopefully with more encouraging news right around the corner, the excitement and fun has returned for us and the lefty.

Again, thank you both for your comments and well wishes!!

Danny
son is at 7 months post op now and worked off the mound for the 1st time yesterday....stretched out with some long toss to warm up and then threw off the mound 30 pitches at 45ft and 10 at 60ft at 50% or so. Told me today no soreness at alland he will get another session in tomorrow before the pitching coach leaves with the team for their weekend games. Was wondering if anyone at this point got a biomachanical evaluation when they started to throw again or have any other tips or suggestions for this stage?
Fan,

finally throwing off the mound...even for 10 pitches he must have been pumped! glad to hear no pain from it!!

I wonder about the bio mechanical evaluation as well. As no one really noticed a problem with son's mechanics last year prior to the injury, it makes me leery to go right back to those mechanics without having them checked out. Does one coming back from TJ usually have his mechanics looked at by a 3rd party if you will to look for issues..obviously the surgeon or Physical therapist won't have the answers. I'm interested in others opinions.
Son is 3 months post-op as of yesterday. Still doing his rehab as instructed. We head back down to Boston for the visit with the Physical Therapist on the 4th. Hoping to find out when the throwing program starts up at that time.

Baseball season started on Monday (tryouts) up here in NH. Son went to all three for Varsity as if he was healthy. While he obviously could not participate he assisted in shagging balls, doing soft toss with his right (off) hand and other things to just help out. He will now do his rehab during practice time with the team and sit close to the coaches on the bench during games and get to learn the game from a different perspective. It is killing him not being able to participate though...lol. He can't wait for March 2012!!
To all,

Long time stalker of this site, 1st time contributor. My son had TJ on 1/21, and I have been following all the comments here about different stages of recovery etc. Want to thank you all for your comments. Parallelling my son's recovery with others described here is making me feel a bit better about the whole ordeal. Slow at first, the monotony of rehab, dealing with the starting of a season without them playing....it is frustrating, but part of the process if our kids want to continue playing. My son is a hs soph, so better this year than the next 2, but is there ever a good time? Anyways, I want to personally thank all the contributors on here, for giving me an insight i might not have otherwise had. It is much appreciated!
bigmacsx4,

Welcome to the boards! Too bad your first post had to include your son having had TJ. But you are correct that if you had to lose a season in high school the sophomore season is probably the best. At least that is what my son and I like to say..lol.

Son is in his 14th week post-op and we go back to the physical therapist on Monday. Hoping we can see that start of the throwing program in the not too distant future. All depends on his strength test for his shoulder. Not sure about your case but the more we reflect the more it seems to have been a combination of a very weak shoulder and trying to impress too much by throwing too often at max effort. Live and learn I guess.

Did they re-route the ulnar nerve when they did the surgery? Just curious as I had read that in the East that is normal to do it while in there but out west it was not the norm.

Hope everyone who is in the different stages of rehab from Tommy John are doing well and on the road to coming back stronger then ever!!
I have one of my athletes who is currently in the beginning stages here. She heard/felt a "pop" while stretching about 10 days ago. She is a high school softball player. I evaluated her the day after the incident I believe and my evaluation concluded that she had sprained her ulnar collateral ligament. We won't really know the extent of the damage until the results from the MRI come back. She got the MRI done on Tuesday.

I realize it's quite nerve-wracking for parents waiting on the results of their kid's MRIs and such. I didn't realize it'd be nerve-wracking for me as a healthcare professional to wait on these kinds of things. But I am anxious to find out the results just as much as others would be. Part of that is that I have a certain amount of credibility riding on these results. It was my evaluation that has led to the MRI and I would be upset if I was completely wrong. But I guess that's why we have the technology-- to confirm or rule out the results a clinician is able to get using his/her hands...
Went to the physical therapist yesterday for a check up. The good news is the elbow is doing fantastic and the nerve seems to be settling in nicely. His shoulder is still a bit weak and seeing that he really won't be competing again till next March he decided it was best to do another month of just rehab to strengthen that shoulder even more before starting the throwing program. He said that if we didn't know about the shoulder weakness coming in that he would have cleared him no problem to start the throwing but where we do know how weak his shoulder was and that it likely played a big part in the injury in the first place it was better to err on the side of caution and really get it strong prior to starting throwing. Son was a bit bummed but understood he had the time to do so and he certainly doesn't want to go through this again or worse a shoulder injury. So another 4 weeks of rehab and we go back on the 29th at which time he should be cleared to throw.
Redsox8191, yes, a weak shoulder, according to the surgeon, was definitley a major contributing factor in the elbow injury. I noticed during that game he had "dropped down" a bit, and was probably throwing harder than he ever had right before the injury.

He is now almost 3 months from surgery. Dr appt 2 days ago, now he starts working on shoulder and core strength. These parameters must be met before he starts soft toss, hopefully in a couple more weeks. That would put him on week 14, which from what I have been told is normal.

One comment I do have, get a 2nd opinion! We went to two highly recommended surgeons... see my comments:

Surgeon#1---After looking at the MRI, torn UCL on the back side (no percentage, full or partial?). What caused the problem? No ivestigation. No other testing. Let's get surgery scheduled, pull a tendon from the hamstring and get it done.

Surgeon# 2---After looking at the MRI, torn UCL on the back side. 100% tear. What caused this problem? Time for a shoulder test......weak right shoulder (big, strong kid, also qb for football team), but, we need to rehab the shoulder, get it right, shoulder and elbow mechanics, along with core strength. 1st part, repair UCL with tendon from same arm....less down time, if tendon available, than rehabbing 2 different body parts. 2nd part, what caused the stress on the elbow in the first place, and how do we remedy that defect? 3rd part, how do we tie surgery, rehab, and expectations together?

My personal thanks to Dr Trey Green, University of Washington Sports Medicine, for the surgery and aftercare you are providing to my youngest son. Also thank you for the diagnostics for my 2nd son, who, after 2 years of D-1 college ball, decided against TJ surgery and will now work towards his degree. Your professionalism, understanding and compassion are to be commended.

Thank you, and I hope this helps anyone who needs some info.

If anyone in my neck of the woods, should, God forbid, know of anyone needing this type of surgery, I would personally recommend Dr Green.
son saw doctor today he is 10 and a half months post TJ surgery and after a little setback is now clear to start throwing all breaking pitches. Doc also said to start cranking up the fast ball and wants him to start breaking pitches at low effort and progress to normal effort as he gets the feel for each pitch. Says he should be pitching to live batters in 4-6 weeks. Smile Crossing my fingers for no more set backs!
hisbiggestfan,

That is awesome news!!! hope the setbacks are behind him and he keeps progressing!!

Son is STILL in a holding pattern...working on his shoulder strength. Still not at an optimum level and they don't want to proceed forward till it is 100% ready to go. As far as the elbow goes the surgery was excellent and it seems to be in great shape. Goes back next week and praying we get to start the throwing program! Been 5 1/2 months post surgery so really itching to get going...lol. His HS team is in the semi finals and it is killing him not being able to compete with his teammates!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.