Skip to main content

I thought I would share an interview I did with an assistant director of financial aid at a large Division 1 University recently. The interview was very recent and I stated to them I would keep it anonymous until they had a chance to review and sign-off on the content.

http://www.varsityedge.com/nei/varsity.nsf/main/financial+aid+interview

My friend also met a director of admissions at another D1 school recently and they started talking about recruiting and admissions.

The consensus was that high school athletes would be better served investing more time, effort, and money in raising their academic record in order to qualify for more grants and merit-based aid, rather than hoping for a partial athletic scholarship which will probably be much lower.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We told son at the age of 8 when he first started playing baseball that school would come first. He tested us once, in 6th grade, and we kept our promise....we told him he would not be playing Spring Little League, we told everyone...to include the coaches....well...that was the first and last time he tested the waters of academic achievement. He has had straight A's since 7th grade.....he decided not to take any chances after the Little League scare....he has always worked to get the highest grades possibe...he calls it "insurance". To the heart of this story: The college acceptances are all coming in accompanied by fantastic academic money. There is no way athletic scholarships could match these awards....and....we are so very thankful that we set the standard 10 years ago, and he cared enough about baseball to do what he had to in school.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.