Skip to main content

@PTWood posted:

@Momball11 we had that situation at my son’s first high school. Kid was nephew  of the head coach and his Dad joined the JV coaching staff when kid was on JV and the V coaching staff when the kid made varsity. Oh, and grandpa was the coach before the uncle and the field was named after the family. DEFINITION OF A RED FLAG…!!!

@Around_The_Horn sounds like you handled it perfectly! Can’t wait to hear the final outcome.

@PTWood Thank you, and yes he made it.

Update: First of all -thx for all the great advice and experiences. I've related all these to my son, and I hope many others are reading and learning from them also.

As we at the batting cage, the night before try-outs, my son received a text from the Highschool baseball coach saying" Tommy, don't miss any swim practices to attend the try-out. You've already made the team". I believe that the Swim coach reached out to the baseball coach as District Swim Meet is only a week away. I had mixed emotions , but let my son decide what to do( he chose to follow the coach's instructions and go to swim practice).  I was disappointed that my son didn't get to have the experience of his first highschool try-out, but was happy to hear that he made the team. Now, which team he'll be on ,is the question. Last year the coach would not let any Freshman play on any team except the Freshman team, but we have a new Head Coach this year-so we'll see. The Baseball coach has seen him extensively during Baseball P.E., so he knows his skill level ( and has had him Pitching, FirstBase and catching, which are his strengths).

Turns out, the coach says there will be another try-out (smaller) on Monday, so he'll get some of the feel of a Highschool try-out. And No, I won't be attending the try-out ( but my heart will be there!!!)

Thx again Folks for all the info. Very helpful and we will try to follow it on Monday and during all future try-outs.

Update: First of all -thx for all the great advice and experiences. I've related all these to my son, and I hope many others are reading and learning from them also.

As we at the batting cage, the night before try-outs, my son received a text from the Highschool baseball coach saying" Tommy, don't miss any swim practices to attend the try-out. You've already made the team". I believe that the Swim coach reached out to the baseball coach as District Swim Meet is only a week away. I had mixed emotions , but let my son decide what to do( he chose to follow the coach's instructions and go to swim practice).  I was disappointed that my son didn't get to have the experience of his first highschool try-out, but was happy to hear that he made the team. Now, which team he'll be on ,is the question. Last year the coach would not let any Freshman play on any team except the Freshman team, but we have a new Head Coach this year-so we'll see. The Baseball coach has seen him extensively during Baseball P.E., so he knows his skill level ( and has had him Pitching, FirstBase and catching, which are his strengths).

Turns out, the coach says there will be another try-out (smaller) on Monday, so he'll get some of the feel of a Highschool try-out. And No, I won't be attending the try-out ( but my heart will be there!!!)

Thx again Folks for all the info. Very helpful and we will try to follow it on Monday and during all future try-outs.

Chances are the new coach will run a quality program. He knew about your son. He’s likely on top of who has talent in his town.

Our high school had seventeen losing season in twenty years before the new coach arrived. He was a rising star assistant from a top program. He started following kids in LL and 12u travel. Part of his strategy was knowing the talent early and selling talented kids and their parents on not leaving the high school for Catholics and privates.

Both my sons were/are state level swimmers.  They never had to go to a HS baseball tryout.  I think that hurt them for making varsity early.  2020 was pulled up from JV team to varsity his sophomore year.  2022 lost his sophomore year to COVID but became a varsity starter junior year.

In Georgia, the state swim season ends the week before games start.  You need to have him get some batting and fielding reps in to get him ready to compete with the kids practicing every day.

It may take a minute, longer than you want, but he will get a chance and he'll need to be ready to compete when he gets his shot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.