Skip to main content

Hi all,

I'm here in the northeast buried in snow and of course thinking about baseball. This summer I would like to get my 2018 his first exposure to what a showcase is. I'd like to stay in the New York area but am willing to travel for the right experience. I really think next year and the year after is when we will kick it into gear and get to a perfect game showcase but for this year Id just like to get him exposed to the process so when he attends the more important ones following his Soph and junior year he will be prepared. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best showcase to introduce him to the format. I'm not sure which colleges attending will be a big factor as I'm just not sure at this point where his true talent level is (or will be - a few years down the road). Extremely athletic kid that still has a lot of filling out to do. Presently 5'10 140.
I appreciate any input 

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Nybaseballdad:
NYBBDad: The geographic area you are in should give you many options. You are taking a sound approach as I got my son involved in showcases early on so he too could know "what to expect" when things mattered more.(He is very systematic, and would always like to arrive to events early enough to see the lay of the land, e.g).  By his junior year he came into camps/showcases feeling more confident and prepared. From your Post, your son would benefit more from a showcase rather than a camp at a college. Regardless of which you select, make sure that your son receives "measurables"- 60 yard dash time, arm strength, and evaluations on his hitting and fielding. Getting these baseline numbers early on in recruiting highlights areas that he needs to work on, along with where his strengths are. Then your next move is to take the steps needed to improve on a specific area. I'll leave naming specific showcase recommendations to more of the expert members here. Good luck!

Nybaseballdad, PBR NY just held one on Long Island today for mostly 2016's and 2017's.  They have grown quite a bit over their first year in NY.  My suggestion would be to keep an eye out for their events this summer.  They will have events on Long Island and Southern Westchester (so I have been told) this year.  Moderately priced events as well.

Ripkenfan -exactly!
Shane52- just thinking my 2018 should have a showcase experience before sending him to a PG event and getting graded. that event looks perfect for next year. Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong and PG is the way to go this year but he's never run a competitive 60 or been clocked on throw speed before. I think seeing others do it and learning from that experience (to know what to do when it really matters) would be the best road to take. Although, I defer to all the experts on this site. There is an event run at baseball heaven called the Diamond series. 2 day event held at ducks stadium and baseball heaven. Seems like a good option but then I saw the price of $400. Pretty steep for what equates to a trial run for him.
I also found an under armour top 96 event?  $300 , more reasonable.
Any other thoughts?  Thanks all!!!!
Originally Posted by Nybaseballdad:
Ripkenfan -exactly!
Shane52- just thinking my 2018 should have a showcase experience before sending him to a PG event and getting graded. that event looks perfect for next year. Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong and PG is the way to go this year but he's never run a competitive 60 or been clocked on throw speed before. I think seeing others do it and learning from that experience (to know what to do when it really matters) would be the best road to take. Although, I defer to all the experts on this site. There is an event run at baseball heaven called the Diamond series. 2 day event held at ducks stadium and baseball heaven. Seems like a good option but then I saw the price of $400. Pretty steep for what equates to a trial run for him.
I also found an under armour top 96 event?  $300 , more reasonable.
Any other thoughts?  Thanks all!!!!

My 2015 son was a late bloomer. He made Varsity and attended his 1st showcase 'ShowBall Showcase Camp' the summer after his sophomore year. It's pricey. I wanted to get him evaluated as a PO. They have a east coast showcase in Long Island.  He attended the 'Junior Fall Classic" in AZ with his travel team the fall of his junior year.  A PG scout saw him at this event. He got an invite to a PG showcase they were running in December, in AZ. He attended another PG showcase the summer after his junior year and did well. The recruiting process started then. He was going to do 'Top 96' in August that summer. He committed early and decided to shut down for 3 weeks instead. He wanted to attend the 2014 WWBA. Have fun watching your son.

Thanks Shane 52. I hope your boy ended up somewhere where you will be able to continue watching him. I love watching my son play. Yes he's good but the passion he plays with is what I love.
Looked at that showball event...wow that's expensive. I better start saving my pennies. I will consider that for next year along with the PG sunshine. They seem perfect for after sophomore year. I'm going to keep looking around for something for this summer.
Ne lefty- that pbr event looks like a good starter event. I will look into that to see if they have others over the summer. Son just finished up basketball. Gotta get his baseball legs back before a showcase. Thanks for the input.

Nybaseballdad,

the Steel Academy seems to be a new academy out of Baseball Heaven so this is a new showcase. i looked and didn't see a price or who is running it. 

Summer after my son's freshman year he attended the NY Baseball Academy 3 day camp program which was excellent. It was $475 and you are working with college and varsity coaches. they gave an extensive written evaluation and also provided video. Check it out here: 

https://www.hofstra.edu/Academ...fm?offeringid=354092

i hope the link is formatted correctly. Otherwise Google ny baseball academy Hofstra 

ETA: My son also picked up a fielding tip which he had not been taught before...improved his transfer quite a bit!

Last edited by JAM3

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.