Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The main observation is that FIU recruited Transfer Portal and JUCO vs High School recruit.

Will future classes be heavily transfer.

FWIW, my son was a teammate of Rich for three years at Coastal.  He was a good teammate and player.  Rich has accelerated rapidly to become a D1 coach at age 34.  On the transfer portal and JUCO thing, I would suspect to turn the program around, he would prefer experienced guys at first.  If they can establish a track record, you may see them adding more pure freshmen in the future.  That is only a guess and I have no insider knowledge.  Huge congrats to Rich and his program in the future.

The main observation is that FIU recruited Transfer Portal and JUCO vs High School recruit.

Will future classes be heavily transfer.

The 2 transfers from Florida came a few years ago.

IMO it's a tough sell due to location. Competing against so many good state programs UF, UM, FSU, UCF, USF, Stetson and top D2s Tampa, Florida Southern, etc. isn't easy.  Transfers and JUCOs have been successful for the smaller programs in FL.

ClevelandDad,

I remember Witten from Coastal. Dave told me he was a great hire for the program.

Jeroloman was Dave's travel team catcher when they played in HS. His brother is assistant at Florida with DK.

Really small baseball world.

Last edited by TPM

FWIW, my son was a teammate of Rich for three years at Coastal.  He was a good teammate and player.  Rich has accelerated rapidly to become a D1 coach at age 34.  On the transfer portal and JUCO thing, I would suspect to turn the program around, he would prefer experienced guys at first.  If they can establish a track record, you may see them adding more pure freshmen in the future.  That is only a guess and I have no insider knowledge.  Huge congrats to Rich and his program in the future.

Again, it goes to the simple point of where recruiting may be trending.  Investing $$$ and time to freshman recruits may not have tangible benefits.

D1 Sourcing model

4 YR Transfers

JUCO  Transfers

Post Grads (New programs are popping up around the country)

Note, it doesn't say how many Freshman were on the fall roster redshirted

Note currently transfer portal has 4 players

https://d1baseball.com/transfe...ll-transfer-tracker/

It should be interesting

https://keepplayingbaseball.or...s-early-commitments/

Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights
@TPM posted:

The 2 transfers from Florida came a few years ago.

IMO it's a tough sell due to location. Competing against so many good state programs UF, UM, FSU, UCF, USF, Stetson and top D2s Tampa, Florida Southern, etc. isn't easy.  Transfers and JUCOs have been successful for the smaller programs in FL.

ClevelandDad,

I remember Witten from Coastal. Dave told me he was a great hire for the program.

Jeroloman was Dave's travel team catcher when they played in HS. His brother is assistant at Florida with DK.

Really small baseball world.

@TPM comments are based on Incoming Recruiting class, note of the winter transfer portal, only Christian Bosque was a freshman, other were on 2022 team

Florida Int'l_2023_Player_attrition_Incoming_Players[1)

Florida Int'l_2023_Player_attrition_Incoming_Players_by_position[1)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Florida Int'l_2023_Player_attrition_Incoming_Players_by_position(1)
  • Florida Int'l_2023_Player_attrition_Incoming_Players(1)

Again, it goes to the simple point of where recruiting may be trending.  Investing $$$ and time to freshman recruits may not have tangible benefits.

D1 Sourcing model

4 YR Transfers

JUCO  Transfers

Post Grads (New programs are popping up around the country)

Obviously big changes had to occur and needed a reset. I was surprised they waited so long.

I am confident that the new baseball staff will help FIU to be the program they once were.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.