Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi! I live about 15 minutes from Flolrida Southern and it is a neat school. It is in Lakeland, which is decent size, with plenty to do. It is also home to Southeastern Bible University. It is located on a small Lake with a popular 3 mile running path around it. Many of the school buildings were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and I think they just renovated the dorms also. It's about 10 minutes from "downtown" Lakeland which has been re-done with pubs and antique shops and a park that hosts art shows, music etc. You are 45 minutes from Tampa and an hour from Orlando. Lakeland is turning into a decent size city, but has a small town atmosphere. There is alot of"old" money from phosphate and citrus. Southeastern Bible University is here too as well as a USF campus and Polk Community College.
That's just Lakeland in a nut shell. We have ALL the major shopping and restaurants ...Outback, Macc.Grill, Longhorn, (2)Chilis, Mimis, Moes, Carrabbas, Bennigans, Red Lobster, Applebees, (2) Hooters, Winghouse, TGI Fridays,BT Bones...
Florida SOuthern has a great reputation in itself and is a very highly recognized for its sports programs. The baseball coach took over for Coach Anderson who was the winningest Division 2 Baseball Coach that let go of the reins to his assistant when he was disabled with cancer a few years ago. Under the current coach, they have won a national championship and are always in the running. They range in national ranking from 20th to the top five. As does the softball team and they are also competitive in basketball, so sports is definately important in the grand scheme of things.
Did that about cover it? If not, just ask. The only downside is the price-being a private school.
I'm an FSC grad(hence Moc1 Smile). puma1 did an excellent job with his post. Chuck Anderson was actually my
coach in 66/67 as acting head coach when Hal Smeltzley took a year off to coach the Holland National team.
Chuck honored me by naming his first son after me(very humbling). He passed away from cancer a few years ago
but left a legacy(along with Smeltzley and Joe Arnold and now Pete Myer) that will be difficult to surpass-9
NCAA DII Championships. My brother and brother-in-law played on the first and second NC teams in '71 and '72.

Numerous pro players from a small school-1800 students. Methodist affilliated. Largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Play majority of their games at Henley Field which is owned by the City of Lakeland and formerly Detroit Tigers spring training facility. Well-maintained.

Great choice for a college sports or not. JMHO.
UNF lost some key players last year to the Pros, Pitchers Dixon,Incinelli,Jeremy and Josh
Papelbon(twin brothers of of the Red Sox closer), SS Oxendine. But they have an excellent lefty
returning and probably their best hitter as well. Coach Rhodes knows how to develop players and to get the best out of them-unlike a lot of coaches whose philosophy is to recruit the best "name" players they can and hope they will produce. Look for this team to be at least as competitive as last year-maybe better.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.