Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
Keller Dad,

Do you think a more demanding coaching approach would help the underachieving Indians this spring?

The same coaching philosophy took arguably a less talented Indian team within one game of the State Semi Finals last year. I'll take Coach Stramp over the guy from Marcus any day.

(And if you think the Indian Coaching staff is laid back and permissive, you need to be around them a little more)

We'll see how far Marcus goes this year....and how many kids move out of the district because he wants to be a little Napoleon.
And Ken, what do you mean by more demanding? Throwing coolers in the dugout? Yelling at pitchers in front of the whole crowd? (when the pitcher was winning and doing a good job) Throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old?

I've only seen Marcus play 2 times this year, and I personally saw all of the above. Both times Marcus won the game. Both times the coach made an arse out of himself in my opinion.

Just glad that he's in the LISD and not the KISD.

And, who said the Indians were underachieving? Heck, our number one pitcher is still fighting his way back from an injury. And it's not like the boys are playing in an easy district.
quote:
Originally posted by KellerDad:
And Ken, what do you mean by more demanding? Throwing coolers in the dugout? Yelling at pitchers in front of the whole crowd? (when the pitcher was winning and doing a good job) Throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old?

I've only seen Marcus play 2 times this year, and I personally saw all of the above. Both times Marcus won the game. Both times the coach made an arse out of himself in my opinion.

Just glad that he's in the LISD and not the KISD.

And, who said the Indians were underachieving? Heck, our number one pitcher is still fighting his way back from an injury. And it's not like the boys are playing in an easy district.

Well, Keller Dad, I will agree with you that sometimes the actions I have seen are a little "over the top" to say the least. But, what words are actually spoken as compared to body language is something that I can not be sure about. For all I know, positive things may be said with bad body language, doubt it, but I won't speculate until I know the facts.

My point is this, I personally would love for my potential son to play for a "Bob Knight" versus the common alternative in amatuer baseball. I can appreciate someone who demands respect for the game. I can appreciate the process of teaching to play the game with a purpose.

I do not know many high school coaches personally. I can only judge teams and players by the way they go about their business. I can tell you this, I am very impressed with how FM Marcus players go about their business. They play with a purpose and discipline.

And last but not least, in my humble opinion, I do not agree with your statement concerning your tough district. I have seen between 35-40 spring games this year and personally think the Keller, Denton Ryan, Southlake, ect. district is one of the weaker ones I have witnessed. But this is only my opinion.

I personally hope that FM Marcus has much success. I believe that players that play hard with desire deserve success. From what I see, they are doing that, and thats from whoever is coaching them.......body language and all.
Ken -- OH MY GOSH!! I feel honored to have you agree with me .... not only agree, but 100% at that!! Are you ready to hire a female select baseball coach?? I'll be satisfied with an assistant's job. Think about it..... history would be made in the Dallas Fort Worth area and SI would probably come out for pictures & a party!
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:

Well, Keller Dad, I will agree with you that sometimes the actions I have seen are a little "over the top" to say the least. But, what words are actually spoken as compared to body language is something that I can not be sure about. For all I know, positive things may be said with bad body language, doubt it, but I won't speculate until I know the facts.

Please, do you actually mean what you just typed. When you can read the coaches lips and he's telling his pitcher that walked a guy with 2 outs and nobody on that he's pitching like a "f'in idiot" I guess he was saying vacuum.

quote:

My point is this, I personally would love for my potential son to play for a "Bob Knight" versus the common alternative in amatuer baseball. I can appreciate someone who demands respect for the game. I can appreciate the process of teaching to play the game with a purpose.

That is where you and I differ

quote:

I do not know many high school coaches personally. I can only judge teams and players by the way they go about their business. I can tell you this, I am very impressed with how FM Marcus players go about their business. They play with a purpose and discipline.

I agree there. But at what cost? That type of coach is admired until he starts losing. Then everyone, and I mean EVERYONE will turn on him. Even the ones complimenting him now.

quote:

And last but not least, in my humble opinion, I do not agree with your statement concerning your tough district. I have seen between 35-40 spring games this year and personally think the Keller, Denton Ryan, Southlake, ect. district is one of the weaker ones I have witnessed. But this is only my opinion.

It is not as strong as it was projected to be, but it by no means is weak.

quote:

I personally hope that FM Marcus has much success. I believe that players that play hard with desire deserve success. From what I see, they are doing that, and thats from whoever is coaching them.......body language and all.

I believe that a coach can both demand respect and be respectful of his players. These are High School kids, not college or pro. Some of them as young as 15 years old. What is this coach teaching his younger players? That you can throw a temper tantrum and get away with it? That kicking coolers around in the dugout is OK? By dropping the F bomb during a game so loud that the guys in the stands can hear it?

You are still young Ken, and have yet to raise your own family. Maybe in 20 years when you have a couple of kids in High School, you will see another side of life. Until then, I will respectfully disagree with you.
Keller Dad,

I may be young in age, but not in morals or baseball sense. I can't speak for what you have seen or heard or what lips you have read.

You ask at what costs should disciple and purpose be taught. My answer is, at all costs. I do not promote obscene jestures or words, although I myself hold myself guilty at times. Example.....well everyone who was at the MMWS can tell you.

It is my belief that ethics, morals, and disciple are disregarded in todays amatuer baseball in fear of disappointing a player or parent. Welcome to the real world people, it happens. Does it take disgusting actions or language, no, but sometimes a little force may do the trick.

You mention people will turn on him when the loss column increases. I say when the players turn on him, then there is a problem and only then. Until then, God bless the coaches that demand respect for the game and responsiblity for their players actions.

Oh, Keller Dad, care to place a small wager on which district will play further in the playoffs?
quote:
Originally posted by Melynda:
Ken -- OH MY GOSH!! I feel honored to have you agree with me .... not only agree, but 100% at that!! Are you ready to hire a female select baseball coach?? I'll be satisfied with an assistant's job. Think about it..... history would be made in the Dallas Fort Worth area and SI would probably come out for pictures & a party!

Your hired. As long as you cuss, spit, and chew.
Ok, heres my list, I got them off your website I dont know if its updated or not;

I'm not familiar with Gallegos, if you like my rotation I can be your asst. I also have a couple of pretty good ballplayers I'll throw in on the deal Smile

#1 Tolleson
#2 Kershaw
#3 Walden
#4 Cahoon
#5 McMillan
#6 Poynter
#7 Slakey
#8 McCool
#9 Holaday
?? Gallegos
quote:
Originally posted by DP2005:
Ok, heres my list, I got them off your website I dont know if its updated or not;

I'm not familiar with Gallegos, if you like my rotation I can be your asst. I also have a couple of pretty good ballplayers I'll throw in on the deal Smile

#1 Tolleson
#2 Kershaw
#3 Walden
#4 Cahoon
#5 McMillan
#6 Poynter
#7 Slakey
#8 McCool
#9 Holaday
?? Gallegos

Your list is good but I think you may have under estimated Walden and McMillan. Walden is a big righty from Mansfield who projects well in next years draft. McMillan may not be with us this summer due to the draft. Who knows, either way I will let the kids decide the rotation.

Oh, Gallagos. I found little Roberto 3 years ago in Austin. We were playing in a tournament and getting ready for Steamboat. I asked the coach of Albeqerque (Roberto is from El Paso) if Roberto would like to go with us. He did. To make a long story short, Roberto and I have a special relationship. He is all of 5'5'' 160 lbs and plays shortstop at Navarro now. He is the first in his family to go to college. He has a late birthday and is still eligible for AABC. He wanted to continue playing with me and living with me in the summer. I love Roberto like a son. We talk daily about the ups and downs of life and college baseball. He is the son I don't have.

Oh, by the way, that's why I coach in case some think its for the wins and loses.
The topic of "respecting" the game is an intersting one. So, is that what the new coach at Marcus is doing - teaching his kids to respect the game? Hmmm. I'd like to know how that quality is measured. If they win, the kids respect the game more? If they lose, they don't? I have watched FM Marcus play for 5 years now (my kids are '00, '03, and '08 grads) -- and I don't recall ever leaving their field thinking, "that team has no respect for the game or their coach". I suppose that could have been the case behind the scenes, but I think connecting their win-loss record (or whether they "under-achieved") to their level of "respect for the game" may be a stretch.

If you are referring to playing hard, fundamentally sound baseball, with good approaches at the plate and positive team attitudes throughout.....and if this coach is instilling those qualites where they were lacking, then his popularity among the kids should eventually win over the parents.

I've never met the guy, but -- for all coaches -- positive ends (wins) don't necessarily justify the means. At our second meeting, which they won on a walk-off HR in the 7th -- he was heard telling a player, "if you want to hit at all -- for the rest of the year -- you'd better get this bunt down! -- and if you think I'm kidding, just try me!" *shrug* -- one form of motivation, I guess.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think many of our kids need "tougher" coaches. But kids learn respect when their mentors are consistent, fair, and carry themselves with integrity. And most of us agree that there are a few basics in the way the game should be played.

-PD
Great Post Panther Dad,

Hopefully you have not misread my posts. I don't know the coach at Marcus. I don't know what he says to his players. I don't know what people think of him nor care.

I do know his players play the game right. With a purpose showing respect for the game. Period.

I try not to judge people until I have personally had a chance to meet them and learn what they stand for. In this case, I cannot judge the Marcus coach. I can only commend his players on how they approach the game.

Next topic please.
Good idea Ken for us to move on from this topic, it has been beat to death. And there is so much more to talk about with the season (district play) coming to a close. What started out as a simple post about the FM Marcus vs FMHS game last week has turned into an evaluation/critique of the new FM Marcus Coach.

I personally believe that the only people that need to be concerned with or accepting of his style are the players that he selects to be on his team and those that choose to stay on his team, and my son just happens to be one of the one's in his current program.

My son has been lucky/unlucky to have had a myriad of coaches in the past. Over the years I have come to understand that it really doesn't matter what I want, what I think is best for him or what I can handle it is "what HE wants".

Because in the end it is my son going through the hours of practices, my son standing on the mound or at the plate and my son that plays game after game and sometimes sits game after game. Now that he is in High School it is not up to me to "find him a place to play". I need to be the one supporting and encouraging him and letting him make some of these decisions because only he knows what motivates him and what serves his game.

Sometimes he has chosen to play for teams or coaches that I am not so sure I would be able to handle let alone perform for/under, but I have already had my days on the field/in the arena/on the course and in the pool, it is now his time. And I hope he enjoys the ride as much as I enjoy watching it.

Like you said, Next Topic Please.

And lets see how this all shakes out come post season play. And even then, let's see how the ballplayers come out of this season as players.
Last edited by oldbat-never
Link copied to your clipboard.