Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Teaching Elder:
Originally Posted by SomeBaseballDad:
It's really rather confusing. There are dead times, quite times, etc. But basically they can't contact you. Coaches would call my son's TB coach and tell them to have the kid call.

Simply do a search on 2019 baseball commits.

Edited to add,  if your son has the talent to play at the next level the travel ball team he chooses can make a big difference. The whole process is a lot easier when a program has your coaches number on speed dial.

Ah.  LOL.  The old "Work around."  I think I've heard of that in football.

Thanks for the information guys.  Interesting how there's always a loop-hole or work around to everything, huh? 

Can the coach actually make an offer...if the player does the calling?

It's a work around, sure, but the real intent of the contact rules is to protect the athlete.  Before they had these restrictions, there were horror stories of blue chip prospects receiving texts non-stop from coaches 24/7.  This was in the days before unlimited texting and it was actually driving up some pretty wild overage charges for the kids.  Since the kid only calls when he wants and who he wants, it does reduce some of the overwhelming pressure inflicted on these kids that aren't even HS Jr's yet.

And as SomeBaseballDad stated, plenty of offers made and accepted well long before a school is allowed to call or text.  My son committed early and received a couple of texts from the RC and HC on the first day they were allowed just to say hello.

Originally Posted by Igotnothing:

Injury potential in football is much higher and could effect both sports.  Doesn't mean it should drive your answer, but it has to be taken into account.  

Most importantly, your son needs to do what he wants to do. If you know the Mike Freeze story that's a perfect example of a kid who played football because he was good at it and he could get a bigger scholarship.  He lasted one week of the season.  He was a great baseball player too.  That was his passion.  When he got to college on a full ride and was a starter as a Frosh, it just didn't matter.   Either sport will be hard work, you better want to be there or you've made a mistake. http://www.foxsports.com/colle...ithout-answer-091615

He recently showed up on the radar again.  https://www.tcu360.com/2015/10...llege-baseball-team/

Yeah.  LOL   I remember reading stories about that years ago.  Football players were getting it night and day.   Seems like Urban Myer was the first major offender.  Nick Saban gets credit for the bump rule. Harbaugh the off campus camp ban.

Can you imagine being in high school about to go to bed and you get,"hey, just put the kids to bed. Wanna chat?"  What about getting a late night message from Sarkesian.

I posted in this thread because of a couple of the replies that inferred you had until you JR year. And people who don't understand the process as it is these days have told us the same thing. Even his HS coach has told us not to get in a hurry, "can't sign till your JR year, you got time".

I guess if you're a stud you can wait. Someone will take an offer away and give it to you. But if you are the average player good enough to play collage ball the longer you go into the process the more you are going to find your options limited. We've heard, more than once, "I can't leave money floating around".

Originally Posted by Teaching Elder:
This leaves me a bit confused. Colleges can't contact kids until Sept. 1 of their Jr year.  Correct?   How can a freshman commit to a school?

Local kid had to commit as a rising 10th grader. He was accosted at the movies, at the park, at baseball practice, even at school by well meaning people who just HAD to share about Coach X's program....at the direction of Coach X and his current and former players.  The boys parents and younger siblings were also approached. The boy was afraid to leave his house and freaked out that his 6th grade sister was being talked to about which college the kid would go to.  He committed to the closest program so all the insanity would stop. It is hard to say "That poor kid" when dealing with a 9th grader that threw 90+, but it was both a blessing and a curse for him. The coaches can't call direct, but you better believe they can make contact if they want to.

I guess if you're a stud you can wait. Someone will take an offer away and give it to you. But if you are the average player good enough to play collage ball the longer you go into the process the more you are going to find your options limited. 

It seems just the opposite where we are.  The average players good enough to play college ball wait for the studs to decide where they are going - and then they are offered spots late in the game.  It also seems like only the studs are offered spots to commit early.  Not a lot of average players around here committing early. 

Originally Posted by MKbaseballdad:

I guess if you're a stud you can wait. Someone will take an offer away and give it to you. But if you are the average player good enough to play collage ball the longer you go into the process the more you are going to find your options limited. 

It seems just the opposite where we are.  The average players good enough to play college ball wait for the studs to decide where they are going - and then they are offered spots late in the game.  It also seems like only the studs are offered spots to commit early.  Not a lot of average players around here committing early. 

I didn't do a good job of explaining myself.

What I meant was if you're, lets say, a LHP throwing 95, or that five tool SS, you can sit on an offer. Teams will wait for an answer hoping it's the one they want to hear. Or you can wait to test the waters because you know teams will make room for you.

The rest, teams are only going to wait so long then move on to the next guy. And if you wait to long to start the process you might find your options limited. So these people who say "don't get in a hurry" while they may mean well, don't understand the process as it stands today.

Jumping in on this thread as I too have found myself with a dual sport 2018. It's been baseball all the way since tee ball. This year he decided to change it up and joined the JV football team. Probably because puberty kicked in and he had the size and testosterone going for him. Well, the kid blew up!  Played receiver and just dominated the competition. Every game had 1-2 highlight reel catches usually for touchdowns and all caught on video with HUDL, mentioned earlier in this post. The boy just fell in love with the sport and all of a sudden has thoughts of college football in his mind. Baseball still very much in the picture but wants to keep all options open. My question after reading earlier posts saying to start sending HUDL videos to recruiters is, do they want to see a JV video?  There are some pretty nice plays on there but will that just get dismissed. Do you explain that he just picked up the sport? Or do I just wait it out until next year?
Played varsity baseball as a freshmen so hoping for a big sophomore campaign there. That dream is still alive as well.
By the way, if it helps. Son is 6' 160 sophomore.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Originally Posted by Nybaseballdad:
Jumping in on this thread as I too have found myself with a dual sport 2018. It's been baseball all the way since tee ball. This year he decided to change it up and joined the JV football team. Probably because puberty kicked in and he had the size and testosterone going for him. Well, the kid blew up!  Played receiver and just dominated the competition. Every game had 1-2 highlight reel catches usually for touchdowns and all caught on video with HUDL, mentioned earlier in this post. The boy just fell in love with the sport and all of a sudden has thoughts of college football in his mind. Baseball still very much in the picture but wants to keep all options open. My question after reading earlier posts saying to start sending HUDL videos to recruiters is, do they want to see a JV video?  There are some pretty nice plays on there but will that just get dismissed. Do you explain that he just picked up the sport? Or do I just wait it out until next year?
Played varsity baseball as a freshmen so hoping for a big sophomore campaign there. That dream is still alive as well.
By the way, if it helps. Son is 6' 160 sophomore.
Thanks for any thoughts.

I wouldn't sent the film because until you can prove what you can do against varsity players.  Football is similar in baseball in that they have combines where they get the measurable numbers on kids.  Find combines and college camps then he can be seen by those who might start getting interested.

Totally get it lionbaseball. I was afraid that I sounded a little off my rocker. This is a unique situation in that this is the first year my son played football since 5th grade. They weren't pulling that kid up after just a few games and by the time they would have thought of bringing him up, varsity was already in trouble and his JV team was on their way to an undefeated season so they let him finish it out. I played college football myself so I'm not coming from left field in my assessment.
Just like baseball, I still have no clue at what level he can play but I do know if he chooses to, he can play either sport in college. Thank god for athleticism. It will just depend on how hard he chooses to work on either as to where he may end up.
Back to the original idea of this subject, it is going to very hard to juggle both if he doesn't make a decision one way or the other.
Come summer, is it really feasible to do a perfect game showcase one week and a football showcase the next all while juggling a travel baseball team and preparing for fall school football?  Ahhhhhhhhh

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.