Skip to main content

Nothing negative about football, but I just got a new job at a pretty good little baseball place and loe and behold my best two players have both tore their ACL's. One has surgery today and one next week. Both had 20+ stolen bases last year..Out the window. One is my Ace..#3 and #4 hitters. I know kids rehab quicker these days and have played kids who are coming off fall surgerys. ..We have a small district and don't start district until the end of March, but may get murdered in a tough schedule pre-district. How long is it taking for kids to get back with ACL tears?
"Well your the best i've ever had, and the best **** hitter I ever saw".
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wonder how the football coach would feel if his QB tore his ACL sliding into home for you next spring?

Fact of life...move on and live with it. Don't be one of those coaches who tells kids they can't play this sport or that sport, and they have to work year around on your sport.

In this area, we have a couple football coaches who snow the kids into not playing basketball or baseball so they can concentrate on football. It helps the coach win regional and state titles, but not alot of players from Howard County, MD are being seen playing football on ABC on Saturday afternoons. The coaches say it is best for the team...when in reality, it is best for the coaches' winning percentage and ego.

Good Luck!
Havent had a kid with a knee injury, but did have a kid break his ankle and have some ligament damage in it, he had pins in it and all. He was back by the spring and played CF, hit leadoff, stole a ton of bases and was a regional qualifier in track. We were lucky he came back like he did. Dont know about knee injuries. On your ace which knee is it, his back knee or his plant knee?
I had my best player tear his ACL about 5 years ago and he made it back for the start of the season. You could not really tell he had any problems - except he wore a knee brace under his pants.

I think it comes down to the doctor. A rival we play had their best player tear his ACL and he never made it back to 100%. He played but he was a pale imitation of the dominant player he was.
Okay, I can speak from experience on this one. First of all my son played both football and baseball. Never hurt playing football, ruptured spleen and tore acl in baseball. The recovery time for the ACL is amazing. They used his HamString for the surgery. It has been 10 weeks since surgery and he called and says he can start light running next Tuesday. He has worked hard and probably will be back by mid November. Surgery was August 10th. We also had two football players injured last year in late September, early October and were 100% by the start of baseball which started late February. It is important to follow the Doctors orders though
injuries....
lets see last season:
1. our # 4 pitcher/shortstop/leadoff hitter broke both legs in a car wreck before the season started
2. our #1 pitcher/new shortstop/3 hole hitter had a season ending shoulder injury week 2.
3. our #2 pitcher/catcher/4 hole hitter didnt throw after week 2 and had knee surgery
4. our #3 pitcher/5 hole hitter turns to the darkside and quits.
after the second week of the season we'd lost our 1-4 pitchers, 2 shortstops, catcher, and 4 of our first five hitters in the lineup.
so i understand injuries and your concerns very well. it seems with acls the return time varies. ive seen some quick, some slow. i hope the best for you. i know how you feel.
Last edited by raiderbb
we either have some karma built up - which i hope is the case.
or we used it all up by being really successful the 3 previous years.
we struggled. played good teams tough all year but got beat. we got a few wins against decent teams late. but it was a struggle and frustrating.
but the kids kept showing up everyday ready to go to work. and then they showed up this summer ready to get better.
Last edited by raiderbb
I understand about the Karma - I am also the asst. football coach at my school and we had an unbelievable year in 2000. 11 - 2 and regional runner up (both school records) but the seasons after that the most we have won were 2 games and this year we will probably lose every game. In fact we had to forfeit this past weeks game.

That is great that your guys kept fighting and is a great attribute to your leadership skills.

If you can do stuff like that then you will be successful more times than naught.
I had one of my best young pitchers (9th grader) tear his ACL the week after our season was over toward the end of school in April. He won't be cleared fully until next week (early December). He has been cleared to do long toss, but no hitting, lower body workout, or fielding because we don't want any twisting action to reinjure. So a total of about 7 months from time of injury to full release by doctor.
We have not had any kids hurt, but it has cut into our fall time since most of our baseball players play football. We played football last year until we were out for Christmas break, and it looks like we will be doing the same this year. So, it is off for Christmas and then we start practice after we get back in Jan.
quote:
Originally posted by Roy Hobbs:
Nothing negative about football, but I just got a new job at a pretty good little baseball place and loe and behold my best two players have both tore their ACL's. One has surgery today and one next week. Both had 20+ stolen bases last year..Out the window. One is my Ace..#3 and #4 hitters. I know kids rehab quicker these days and have played kids who are coming off fall surgerys. ..We have a small district and don't start district until the end of March, but may get murdered in a tough schedule pre-district. How long is it taking for kids to get back with ACL tears?

Coach,

Challenge the rest of your kids to step up. A couple of years back my #1 had Tommy John surgery in August and not only did we make the playoffs, we finished higher in our district than any team had in school history (and this is the high school that produced the great Vernon Wells...whom I did not get to coach).

I basically told them we can cry about it and feel sorry for ourselves and give up in August, or we can do something about it. I made sure that I always made sure the kids knew that I knew we could pull it off!
The kids will surprise you!!!
Last edited by funneldrill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.