Skip to main content

The time is near for what the player has done before...But this time it is different. Hlgh school baseball is all these players have been talking and hearing about the past couple of years.

Preparation is the first word that comes to mind when you are talking about an upcoming season. The player is either ready or is not, and the results always display themselves. With that being said, many players have been working and playing hard. Those are the players that will find themselves in situations of opportunity. Impact players are the players who grind. They are the hungry type of player that has been waiting for this time. Is the player in shape? Responsibility to one's personal workout regimen should be something every player should be doing. Are they working on their flaws? There are many more questions that a freshman baseball player will have to answer to his coach and himself. Trusting in the process is for real and really all a player can control. The process, is the grind!

A freshman that wants to move up quickly in the program has to produce. The competitiveness in the player will help during the rigors of the season. But it's the stats that never lie, just ask Scott Boras. Freshmen should know they are always being evaluated. How a player wants to be rewarded is only how much they are willing to sacrifice. No pain no gain. Playing up to and beyond a player's capability is their daily task. A freshman has to learn what winning is all about. They have to realize it is more than just a game. To appreciate the position they are in and to give everything they have to the game instead of expecting something in return, good things will happen.

What it comes down to in thee end is maturity. They are at the age where accountability is tantamount to current and future success. Standards and expectations should be set high along with patience and support. Freshmen need to know it shouldn't take a Knute Rockne speech to get them motivated. These players need to be inspired by what they want to achieve in this grand game of baseball. Playing high school baseball is a privilege and should be treated in that regard. It's OK if a freshman is learning because that's part of growing up. They are better off to realize the higher the level they go in baseball, the more it becomes like a job. A job many players dream of having...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hitting4dudes posted:

The time is near for what the player has done before...But this time it is different. Hlgh school baseball is all these players have been talking and hearing about the past couple of years.

Preparation is the first word that comes to mind when you are talking about an upcoming season. The player is either ready or is not, and the results always display themselves. With that being said, many players have been working and playing hard. Those are the players that will find themselves in situations of opportunity. Impact players are the players who grind. They are the hungry type of player that has been waiting for this time. Is the player in shape? Responsibility to one's personal workout regimen should be something every player should be doing. Are they working on their flaws? There are many more questions that a freshman baseball player will have to answer to his coach and himself. Trusting in the process is for real and really all a player can control. The process, is the grind!

A freshman that wants to move up quickly in the program has to produce. The competitiveness in the player will help during the rigors of the season. But it's the stats that never lie, just ask Scott Boras. Freshmen should know they are always being evaluated. How a player wants to be rewarded is only how much they are willing to sacrifice. No pain no gain. Playing up to and beyond a player's capability is their daily task. A freshman has to learn what winning is all about. They have to realize it is more than just a game. To appreciate the position they are in and to give everything they have to the game instead of expecting something in return, good things will happen.

What it comes down to in thee end is maturity. They are at the age where accountability is tantamount to current and future success. Standards and expectations should be set high along with patience and support. Freshmen need to know it shouldn't take a Knute Rockne speech to get them motivated. These players need to be inspired by what they want to achieve in this grand game of baseball. Playing high school baseball is a privilege and should be treated in that regard. It's OK if a freshman is learning because that's part of growing up. They are better off to realize the higher the level they go in baseball, the more it becomes like a job. A job many players dream of having...

Pretty serious about your Freshman baseball

ALL replies are appreciated. Would like to contribute more if I had more time, but always at a field or facility almost everyday living the dream. RJM anytime you would like to come out to our facilities or games, I encourage you to do so. You are more than welcome. We would be so greatful if you bestowed your knowledge upon us...definitely going to make the time to post more. 

I recall HS tryouts and son's freshman year. Hate to sound cocky but we new he would make the team, his goal was varsity. He did make the team and played primarily on JV (was considered 1 of 3 JV players who could play JV and varsity) but carved through everyone he faced with a sub 1 era for the season. Called up to play a few games on varsity at year end and i distinctly recall him hanging a change up that ended up in the stratosphere somewhere. Try to enjoy these times, they are fleeting...i miss them.

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I recall HS tryouts and son's freshman year. Hate to sound cocky but we new he would make the team, his goal was varsity. He did make the team and played primarily on JV (was considered 1 of 3 JV players who could play JV and varsity) but carved through everyone he faced with a sub 1 era for the season. Called up to play a few games on varsity at year end and i distinctly recall him hanging a change up that ended up in the stratosphere somewhere. Try to enjoy these times, they are fleeting...i miss them.

My son has tryouts in two weeks and I have talked to so many folks that have gone through it before and I am trying to just enjoy it all. I can definitely now see how you can miss it if you're not careful. 

Shu, I get the feeling you're going to enjoy the ride as much as anyone possibly can, and not just because your kid is a good player.  Your head and heart are in the right place.

My third kid is trying out for his intermediate team for the first time.  Even with two sons having successfully gone before and even though I'm confident in his abilities, I'll be stressed out more than usual: he's a pitcher as well as a field player.  Every pitch he throws is a nail biter.

I hope there's a special place in heaven for the parents of pitchers.

hitting4dudes posted:

ALL replies are appreciated. Would like to contribute more if I had more time, but always at a field or facility almost everyday living the dream. RJM anytime you would like to come out to our facilities or games, I encourage you to do so. You are more than welcome. We would be so greatful if you bestowed your knowledge upon us...definitely going to make the time to post more. 

I was a little put off by someone coming on so strongly with the assumption he has all the answers for a board full of know nothings.

I've already been through the process with two kids. I played college ball. I've coached 16u and 18u teams. There are plenty of people on this board with equal, equivilant or more experience. 

Know your audience.

smokeminside posted:

Shu, I get the feeling you're going to enjoy the ride as much as anyone possibly can, and not just because your kid is a good player.  Your head and heart are in the right place.

My third kid is trying out for his intermediate team for the first time.  Even with two sons having successfully gone before and even though I'm confident in his abilities, I'll be stressed out more than usual: he's a pitcher as well as a field player.  Every pitch he throws is a nail biter.

Appreciate the kind words, Smoke! 

I will say that when my son occasionally pitches, it's definitely more stressful. 

hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:

I will say that when my son occasionally pitches, it's definitely more stressful. 

I couldn't stand it, if my kid was a pitcher. Too much stress on the heart, and then throw in the stuff that is outside of your control (officiating)...I could not deal with that! Hats off to all parents of pitchers! 

smokeminside posted:

Hey Smoke (and all the other pitcher parents out there),

Really envy you guys that have kids still pitching, miss those days a lot!

Use to love the days the boy would take the mound and the more pressure on the outcome the better (lol). He wouldn't ever blow anyone away, was just really crafty at setting kids up and getting them out. He seemed to perform better when something was on the line. His Mom would wear holes in the pavement behind the diamond pacing back and forth, chewing on her fingernails and covering her eyes on almost every pitch. She was a complete basket-case. Hated every minute of it. She would always come ask me if they could just take him out and put him somewhere in the field (haha).

He and I used to talk pitching philosophy all the time. What pitch to throw when based on the situation, hitter tendencies, count and who was in the box. I remember telling him to watch the kid take practice swings before he stepped up to the plate, notice the 'plane' of his swing and never throw it where that kid seemed to want it. The boy was a master and I could almost see the competitive ice water flowing through his veins. He would always look over at me after striking out their slugger, or after closing out a really important inning with a little 'glassy smile' on his face.

Wish we could go back to little league and start it all over again.

Enjoy the times as much as you can, you might end up missing them as much as me when they are over!

-DD

OK....Hijack over-back to your regular scheduled programming

Last edited by DesertDuck

RSM crossing the line when you start insulting members and telling me what I should know...I'm just like you and so is everybody else in here. Chill out big dog. Not trying to block you. Someone might think in a community of baseball that we would have a ☺ supportive mentality towards one another. Instead of bashing. I'm through with you RSM...for your criticism and outright disrespect. You don't dig the way I write then kick rocks barefooted.

I've already been through the process with two kids. I played college ball. I've coached 16u and 18u teams. There are plenty of people on this board with equal, equivilant or more experience. 

Know your audience.

_---------

I did this.  I know that. I was put off by that.   Blah blah. How is any of that helpful to anyone?  OP had an inspirational post and you have responded childishly.

Use some of your experiences to contribute something useful.

SMH

Last edited by bandera

"I've already been through the process with two kids. I played college ball. I've coached 16u and 18u teams. There are plenty of people on this board with equal, equivilant or more experience. 

Know your audience."

If you aren’t a freshman in high school, or the parent of one, you were not the audience.

DesertDuck posted:

Maybe we shouldn't go back to the regularly scheduled programing?

Anyone else got any good kid pitching, parent stressing stories?

lol

BTW....go kick rocks barefooted was pretty funny!

Wow! This is just getting good, no need to change the channel. In my opinion, I think RJM was just trying to tell H4D that we all know our kids need to be internally motivated, etc, and his motivational speech was playing to an audience of pretty experience baseball people. I don't think he was trying to brag on his credentials, just trying to share that many of the posters on this board like RJM, who has more post than I can even calculate, have walked many miles in his shoes already. People come to these boards to learn from those who have walked this path already and to share what they have learned with people just starting their journeys. In my short time on this forum I have learned a great deal, and definitely read and absorb 100 times more than I try to share.

I was the starting pitcher in the second game of a dbl header (two 7-inning games) for the very poor college baseball team I was on against the always powerful Lewis-Clark State.  Was down 4-0 in the first inning before I'd even warmed up. L-C State had scored 10 (!) runs in the top of the 7th in the first game, so they were probably exhausted. Anyway, we scratched our way back into the game and tied it in the bottom of the 6th.  I go out in the top of the seventh and the first guy up hits this towering fly ball to left.  Our Left fielder goes back to the fence (one of those chicken wire deals with dark green balsa wood slats.  We unrolled it out in the spring, and then rolled it right back up again in May.)  reaches high as he can and leans back as far as he can and snags the ball.   One out. Next guy up hits this screaming line drive to left center that our centerfielder, who was freaky fast, catches at the fence at full speed and then literally breaks THROUGH the fence, sprawling to the ground.  The ball stayed in his mitt!  It took a few minutes to patch up the fence and then I turned to face this Paul Bunyan-esque guy.  He smacks a double  to right center.  Three pitches, three rockets.  Coach comes out and says, "You've about had it, haven't you?" "Nah, I can get this guy. No problem."  "Really?" "Yeah. I'm keeping the ball."  All the while I'm thinking, "Take the FREAKING BALL.  Get me outta here!"  But he couldn't read my mind, and he left me in.  I needed just one more out to give us a fighting chance to win in the bottom of the 7th.  I decide to throw the guy nothing but changeups.  Catcher comes out after the third one got me to a 2-1 count.  "What the hell are you doing?"  "I'm not gonna throw a fastball. You saw what happened to the last three fastballs?"  "Ok, well, you got nothing to lose except the damn game."  "No fastballs." 

Next pitch was the slowest I could throw and still have the ball reach the plate. Guy took this swing like he was trying to chop down a tree and completely missed it.  Now he was very unhappy and all thirty people in the crowd were going wild.  Then I did throw a fastball and miraculously tied up his swing. He popped out to first for the third out.  We got up, our leadoff guy hit a triple, and the next guy hit a sac fly walk off.  It's the only game I won in college that  I really remember.  Remember the losses much more clearly.

Last edited by smokeminside
hitting4dudes posted:

RSM crossing the line when you start insulting members and telling me what I should know...I'm just like you and so is everybody else in here. Chill out big dog. Not trying to block you. Someone might think in a community of baseball that we would have a ☺ supportive mentality towards one another. Instead of bashing. I'm through with you RSM...for your criticism and outright disrespect. You don't dig the way I write then kick rocks barefooted.

I didn't tell you what you should know. I respect what anyone knows and what they can add.. I didn't care for how your post came off that no one on this board knows anything and you're the savior. I have nothing more to say. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by RJM
smokeminside posted:

I was the starting pitcher in the second game of a dbl header (two 7-inning games) for the very poor college baseball team I was on against the always powerful Lewis-Clark State.  Was down 4-0 in the first inning before I'd even warmed up. L-C State had scored 10 (!) runs in the top of the 7th in the first game, so they were probably exhausted. Anyway, we scratched our way back into the game and tied it in the bottom of the 6th.  I go out in the top of the seventh and the first guy up hits this towering fly ball to left.  Our Left fielder goes back to the fence (one of those chicken wire deals with dark green balsa wood slats.  We unrolled it out in the spring, and then rolled it right back up again in May.)  reaches high as he can and leans back as far as he can and snags the ball.   One out. Next guy up hits this screaming line drive to left center that our centerfielder, who was freaky fast, catches at the fence at full speed and then literally breaks THROUGH the fence, sprawling to the ground.  The ball stayed in his mitt!  It took a few minutes to patch up the fence and then I turned to face this Paul Bunyan-esque guy.  He smacks a double  to right center.  Three pitches, three rockets.  Coach comes out and says, "You've about had it, haven't you?" "Nah, I can get this guy. No problem."  "Really?" "Yeah. I'm keeping the ball."  All the while I'm thinking, "Take the FREAKING BALL.  Get me outta here!"  But he couldn't read my mind, and he left me in.  I needed just one more out to give us a fighting chance to win in the bottom of the 7th.  I decide to throw the guy nothing but changeups.  Catcher comes out after the third one got me to a 2-1 count.  "What the hell are you doing?"  "I'm not gonna throw a fastball. You saw what happened to the last three fastballs?"  "Ok, well, you got nothing to lose except the damn game."  "No fastballs." 

Next pitch was the slowest I could throw and still have the ball reach the plate. Guy took this swing like he was trying to chop down a tree and completely missed it.  Now he was very unhappy and all thirty people in the crowd were going wild.  Then I did throw a fastball and miraculously tied up his swing. He poppled out to first for the third out.  We got up, our leadoff guy hit a triple, and the next guy hit a sac fly walk off.  It's the only game I won in college that  I really remember.  Remember the losses much more clearly.

Love that story, Smoke, but it needs to be in the "strangest, funniest things that happened.." thread.   As a LHP, there were a couple guys in Legion ball that just had my number every time.  Didn't matter where I threw it, what kind of pitch, they CRUSHED me.  I was a competitive SOB and HATED getting beat or getting hit hard.  But these two... 

One of them hit a ball that looked like it was still climbing when it went over the full-height light tower beyond the fence in left center.  I can still see that hit clear as day almost 40 years later.  It was so impressive, I couldn't even get myself to be mad.  It was a first for me.  Not the "getting crushed" part but the "couldn't get mad" part.  BTW, if you are waiting for the story to finish with my redemption, sorry.  That never happened.  If you're waiting for the ending where they ended up making it in the bigs...  nope.  That didn't happen either.  They were just put on this earth to completely P!$$ me off.  But I'm not bitter.... 

Last edited by cabbagedad

While it's gone a bit sideways, I do like the idea of this thread.  We don't spend enough time on this HS baseball website talking about HS baseball, and the OP is correct - the future is now.

The first day of tryouts for real spring baseball is coming up here in CA very soon, and for a lot of Freshman (and their parents) it truly is a day that they have been anticipating and preparing for over past several years.  I know that when my 2017 was getting ready he was really chomping at the bit.  And I was highly stoked.

Other than grinding, attitude, effort -- all that good stuff - are there any pointers for players or parents just starting out their HS baseball journey that we vets can offer?

Here's a few:

For players, get your sh*t together - I mean that literally, not figuratively.  Don't be the guy who always forgets his belt or his cleats or his glove. Coaches will start thinking of you as that guy right away. Clean out your equipment bag now, wash your practice gear, make sure you've got it together and know where you're going to keep it  during class. And take an inventory after practice every day. Don't be the guy who leaves his glove in the field and has to embarrass himself by asking the coaches if they found it.

For parents, you can't and should not do the above for your kid, but you can give him the prompts to get it done. What you can do is fuel the kid properly. Make sure he's hydrated and has not only a good lunch, but something else to eat before practice.

For players, you can establish your qualities as a leader off the field first by taking pride in your field and equipment. Be the first guy to grab a rake from the shed, and the last guy to put one away.  Never let a coach carry a bucket of balls.

For parents, you need to understand that you're doing it for the team, not your kid, but find out what needs to be done. Does coach need help re-building a dugout, raising funds, running the snackbar?  He lost many of his volunteers since last season, and he needs help.

Also for parents, stay the heck away from practice. Literally nobody wants you there.

JCG posted:

Also for parents, stay the heck away from practice. Literally nobody wants you there.

The parents who hung around practices during my son's freshman year stuck out like sore thumbs, and not for good reasons. They are either viewed as trying to win favor with coaches or just unable to let go from Little League. My philosophy is help is asked, otherwise cheer for ALL players when it's game day.

Parents do need to stay away from practice as best they can. Your kids need some time away from your critical eye. When my kids were younger high school players I picked them up after practice. If practice was still going on I walked near the field.

Being a travel coach the high school coaches would engage me in conversation. It was general baseball/softball conversation. I wouldn't talk about my kids or other players. My kids asked me to stay in the car and wait. Rumors had started I was working the coaches. My daughter started as a freshman. My son was the first soph opening day starter six years. It wasn't about talent to some parents. They believed I was manipulating the situation.

CaCO3Girl posted:

HOWEVER, when little Timmy says the coach isn't playing him due to politics you might want to attend a practice before you believe that line.

When my daughter was a freshman five freshman started. The previous year the team went 4-18 which included a part of a thirty four game losing streak. Mothers of upperclassmen replaced starters started attending practices and filming them. They were looking for ammunition to get the coach fired for giving preferential treatment to freshmen.

The mothers never got their evidence. The team went from last to first. They won more games than the previous four years combined. The five freshmen all ended up playing D1 softball. The following year came three more future college players. Then a ninth future college player the following year. For two years every starter was a future college player. Given the pitcher was one of the top studs in the state (top pitching dominates softball)  my daughter may be one of the few whose high school team could beat her travel team. They won four straight conference titles. They lost two conference games in four years. So much for the mother's argument.

hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:

Amen to that fellas. I pace and go far away when he pitches. Funny thing is he had such a great year last year I started to relax and stay with everybody else by the end of the season!  With the nee season I am sure I will be back to pacing - at least in the beginning!

SanDiegoRealist posted:
DesertDuck posted:

lol

Wow! This is just getting good, no need to change the channel. In my opinion, I think RJM was just trying to tell H4D that we all know our kids need to be internally motivated, etc, and his motivational speech was playing to an audience of pretty experience baseball people. I don't think he was trying to brag on his credentials, just trying to share that many of the posters on this board like RJM, who has more post than I can even calculate, have walked many miles in his shoes already. People come to these boards to learn from those who have walked this path already and to share what they have learned with people just starting their journeys. In my short time on this forum I have learned a great deal, and definitely read and absorb 100 times more than I try to share.

No dog in this fight and don't want one!  Just throwing it out there that not all of us come here to learn something. As I have said before, just a hobby for me. Just fun to talk baseball. Now if one of our resident experts (not sarcasm, the real ones like Kyle or PG etc) start talking about significant issues I certainly tune in. But not really the purpose I am here. You guys do have to realize some of us are just here to have a good time. 

2020dad posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:
DesertDuck posted:

lol

No dog in this fight and don't want one!  Just throwing it out there that not all of us come here to learn something. As I have said before, just a hobby for me. Just fun to talk baseball. Now if one of our resident experts (not sarcasm, the real ones like Kyle or PG etc) start talking about significant issues I certainly tune in. But not really the purpose I am here. You guys do have to realize some of us are just here to have a good time. 

A guy with a screen name "2020dad" on a baseball forum but for no reason but entertainment value? Now I've heard everything.

I thought I said that pretty nicely...  but ok I will bite.  What does the name 2020dad have to do with anything?  I came on as jolietboy. I noticed every graduation year had a 'dad'. My son is a 2020 and that hadnt been taken yet so I made the change. Still no idea what choosing that handle has to do with anything at all but there you go. As for having fun you will be hard pressed to find me making posts asking for advice on here. Maybe once or twice but basically it's almost fair to say never. I am here to talk baseball and pass time. I am not here to be educated. And if I was it would be about data and mechanics etc.  Not somebody else's journey as that really has nothing to do with our own.   But if I really need advice I will seek it privately from some really nice people on here I talk to regularly. And that I have done. And that turns out well 99.9% of the time. Ok really 100%!  

2020dad posted:

I thought I said that pretty nicely...  but ok I will bite.  What does the name 2020dad have to do with anything?  I came on as jolietboy. I noticed every graduation year had a 'dad'. My son is a 2020 and that hadnt been taken yet so I made the change. Still no idea what choosing that handle has to do with anything at all but there you go. As for having fun you will be hard pressed to find me making posts asking for advice on here. Maybe once or twice but basically it's almost fair to say never. I am here to talk baseball and pass time. I am not here to be educated. And if I was it would be about data and mechanics etc.  Not somebody else's journey as that really has nothing to do with our own.   But if I really need advice I will seek it privately from some really nice people on here I talk to regularly. And that I have done. And that turns out well 99.9% of the time. Ok really 100%!  

2020, all I am saying is that if you are a regular reader or contributor to this forum, you are going to learn things about the journey, whether it is solicited or not. To say someone who is not an "active" participant does not learn anything from the posts here would be pretty amazing.

Asking questions about what others experienced is prudent, even if the path the players are taking is different. Again, this is my opinion, I have learned a ton from other people's post, and their players are usually older than mine and don't play his position.

The way I look at it is, there are no bad post or replies. Respect for one another is the foundation for that. If that is breached there is a problem. I love the game, but the game doesn't love me back. Do you get it?

The post is about freshman baseball. My contributions to hs baseball web are predicated on my undying love, respect and passion for our national past time. I'm an author to my inner thoughts.  Sometimes I like to share my baseball journey. Solicitations, approval, validation, criticism, etc I do not seek nor is my purpose on here. I'm about the game, and the young people who want to put in the time and effort to getting better everyday. HS baseball is competitive and I'll be darned if I don't provide the resources and baseball environment my freshman son needs to thrive in this hard game.

I learn everyday. HS baseball web is definitely another resource to do just that. Not enough chalk talk coach, that's what I"m talking bout. My next post will be in that arena. I do appreciate replies because a lot of them are segways to new threads. Like the parents at practice...that's a good one. But like I said, chalk talk is the real deal for me. That's a big part of learning more and more about baseball for me.

To come in and close it up on this post, I ask for more freshman baseball experiences. Your replies would be helpful to my self and others. After all, I'm just like you. Thank you for your time.

2020dad posted:
hshuler posted:
smokeminside posted:

Amen to that fellas. I pace and go far away when he pitches. Funny thing is he had such a great year last year I started to relax and stay with everybody else by the end of the season!  With the nee season I am sure I will be back to pacing - at least in the beginning!

I think it's interesting that people pace or go far away. Many years ago, my son was pitching and a kid fouled one off. It hit a light pole, then bounced over and hit me in the arm. Big bruise, but no real damage. A little later, coach came over to find me and asked me to talk to my son. He was pissed and crying in the dugout because the batter had hurt his mom. Lesson learned--when son pitches, bats or plays, I sit in my seat, dig in my fingernails and keep my mouth shut. My job is to be wallpaper, to allow him to focus on his job, not look at me for approval or to see that I got up and started pacing. As he would say "mom, when you get nervous it makes me feel like you don't have confidence in me."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.