Skip to main content

I know this has been said so many times on this forum but it cannot be repeated enough. 

My son's old college team had their home opener last night. I went because I know many of the players and parents. I have watched many of the young men over the last three years, and heck it was baseball.

I know quite a few young men on both teams, and there parents. My youngest played with or against them growing up. I stopped and talked to some of them and the stark reality of baseball at the college level (even D3) was sinking in. I attempted to make the usual small talk, ask how there player was doing, and how he was enjoying college. Most parents were clearly unprepared to how little playing time there Freshman players might get. many were clearly unhappy. You could tell by there body language. Arms crossed. Shoulders hunched. 

Both these teams are pretty senior laden and have done pretty well the last couple of years. Your son is going to have a tough time displacing that senior shortstop, who has started for the last 2 or 3 years. All these freshmen are very good players. But so are the upper class men. They all started at least 3 or four years for their HS team and played every game in travel ball.  Yes that first baseman is struggling at the plate, But did you see his stats last year after a slow start. All it took was one good game and he was one of the better hitters on the team from their on out. 

Well let me tell you this. My sons career is OVER. He is probably dealing with it better than I am. I really miss the anticipation of the season. It is not the same if your son is not playing. I would give quite a bit to be in your shoes. Even if My son was the last guy on the bench and had little chance of playing. At least he would have a chance. I might get to see him throw out a pitch or swing the bat. I would get to see him with his friends with a smile on his face, hanging out with his friends. Warming up the outfielders.Shagging foul balls, He would still be part of the game he loves so much. He may coach and that may bring on other satisfaction, and  rewards, but that is still not quite the same as playing.

Please enjoy this time, enjoy the team, the players, being at the ball park, rejoice with them when the team wins and commiserate when they lose. Make it about the team and not your son. It will be over before you know it. This will be some of the most rewarding of your sons life on and off the field. Being a young man on a college campus can be very rewarding.   

Four years and it is gone. 

Just my 2 cents. It is over entirely too quickly, to waste a moment of it being unhappy. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well said Bishop! 

My son hung up his cleats last summer after the D2 university he was at did not renew his scholarship (grades slipped).  This year he is back at the JuCo he previously played for.  This time as a student assistant (volunteer coach) while finishes up his AA degree.  You're right - it's not the same.  I know he misses being in the lineup, swinging the bat and taking warm ups.

So, yes, you freshman parents enjoy the team, the players and being at the ball park - it all ends one day - you just don't know for sure when.

We enjoyed every minute of his post-HS baseball career. He was fortunate to start nearly every game, was recognized as all conference (1st team), and all region (2nd team) and won a conference title (D2).

Well said Bishop!  Here's the real deal: go to as many games as humanly possible, take a lot of pictures, if your kid plays, great, if not, enjoy the game anyway, don't be one of THOSE PARENTS that gripe to anyone who will listen about Junior's playing time (nobody else really cares) , go out to eat after the game and talk about what Junior wants to talk about, then make the long drive home, delighted that you got to spend time with your boy. The four years will fly by incredibly quickly. And slip Junior a few bucks when momma isn't watching-they always need money.   

Thanks BLD for putting it all in perspective. I am in the unusual situation for me of watching my son watch this year due to an injury.  I did miss the first game possible due to feeling kind of bummed about my son not getting to play . I came to realize that all those parents came to support their kid who got little playing time who were not injured, so who was I to pout.

My intention is to be at every game possible The same games I would have gone to if my son was playing. I will be there to support him supporting his team (As I will). It was kind of weird the first 2 games back, lots of parents and fans wanted to talk about sons injury. But on 3rd game I was just a Dad cheering on my son's team. Always great to be at a baseball game.

BLD thank you for reminding me how short the time is for me and others to enjoy watching my son do what he loves.

I remember reading a few weeks ago in one of the topics that we are constantly reminding some of the folks of younger players to worry less and enjoy more, and got they feeling that they don't often care for that advice.

To each his own.

I appreciate BLD taking the time, once again to remind folks to take it all in before its gone. While my sons playing days are over, we are enjoying him being part of a team again, in another capacity and we listen to the games like our son was next in line to bat or relieve.

FWIW, if  your son moves on to professional ball, you will never find it as enjoyable or satisfying as college baseball. JMO

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

I know this has been said so many times on this forum but it cannot be repeated enough. 

My son's old college team had their home opener last night. I went because I know many of the players and parents. I have watched many of the young men over the last three years, and heck it was baseball.

I know quite a few young men on both teams, and there parents. My youngest played with or against them growing up. I stopped and talked to some of them and the stark reality of baseball at the college level (even D3) was sinking in. I attempted to make the usual small talk, ask how there player was doing, and how he was enjoying college. Most parents were clearly unprepared to how little playing time there Freshman players might get. many were clearly unhappy. You could tell by there body language. Arms crossed. Shoulders hunched. 

Both these teams are pretty senior laden and have done pretty well the last couple of years. Your son is going to have a tough time displacing that senior shortstop, who has started for the last 2 or 3 years. All these freshmen are very good players. But so are the upper class men. They all started at least 3 or four years for their HS team and played every game in travel ball.  Yes that first baseman is struggling at the plate, But did you see his stats last year after a slow start. All it took was one good game and he was one of the better hitters on the team from their on out. 

Well let me tell you this. My sons career is OVER. He is probably dealing with it better than I am. I really miss the anticipation of the season. It is not the same if your son is not playing. I would give quite a bit to be in your shoes. Even if My son was the last guy on the bench and had little chance of playing. At least he would have a chance. I might get to see him throw out a pitch or swing the bat. I would get to see him with his friends with a smile on his face, hanging out with his friends. Warming up the outfielders.Shagging foul balls, He would still be part of the game he loves so much. He may coach and that may bring on other satisfaction, and  rewards, but that is still not quite the same as playing.

Please enjoy this time, enjoy the team, the players, being at the ball park, rejoice with them when the team wins and commiserate when they lose. Make it about the team and not your son. It will be over before you know it. This will be some of the most rewarding of your sons life on and off the field. Being a young man on a college campus can be very rewarding.   

Four years and it is gone. 

Just my 2 cents. It is over entirely too quickly, to waste a moment of it being unhappy. 

That was a beautiful post!  Thanks for sharing!  It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and not see the big picture.  This is a great reminder to remember to stop and smell the roses.

hokieone posted:

Well said Bishop!  Here's the real deal: go to as many games as humanly possible, take a lot of pictures, if your kid plays, great, if not, enjoy the game anyway, don't be one of THOSE PARENTS that gripe to anyone who will listen about Junior's playing time (nobody else really cares) , go out to eat after the game and talk about what Junior wants to talk about, then make the long drive home, delighted that you got to spend time with your boy. The four years will fly by incredibly quickly. And slip Junior a few bucks when momma isn't watching-they always need money.   

Hokieone - You make a great point.  Going to watch the boys play doesn't always have to be about baseball.  On a recent visit to watch Ryno play, we took him and a teammate out to dinner afterwards and had a great time.  On the drive home my wife said, "that's how I always thought it would be."  She wasn't talking about the game, but the visit overall.  It was truly a great trip, and it proves that the baseball part isn't everything.  Enjoy the moments whether your kid is playing or not.  No matter what his role is.  Speak positive to him and don't be a negative Nelly.  It's your son's job to find his place now. You've done what you can to raise a good boy. Now let him navigate his way and watch as he grows.

Great timing BLD. My son is a D3 freshman. Earned a few opportunities, but wasn't able to convert them into more playing time. I'd love for him to be on the field more, but I'm also just loving the whole experience. Yesterday I rushed to get out of work early, drove 2 hours to an away game, arrived late, only to have the game rained out after 2 innings. At one point they started warming up after the rain. The whole trip was worth it just to see him throwing a baseball with his college teammates. Heck, it was worth it just to see him.

In the past I've said kids would have more fun if their parents would stop telling him they aren't having fun because they're getting screwed. It applies to college ball too. Keep in mind a freshman is in a transition period academically and socially. Don't add to the pressure with baseball.

Also, college baseball provides an opportunity for parents. If you don't annoy people complaining about your son's situation there's an entirely new group of people to become friends. If your son goes "away" to college it can be a cultural experience.

If my son were still playing this year had he had a game yesterday all he would have wanted to talk about at dinner is the Yale-Baylor basketball game. Life doesn't have to be completely about baseball.

RJM posted:

In the past I've said kids would have more fun if their parents would stop telling him they aren't having fun because they're getting screwed. It applies to college ball too. Keep in mind a freshman is in a transition period academically and socially. Don't add to the pressure with baseball.

Also, college baseball provides an opportunity for parents. If you don't annoy people complaining about your son's situation there's an entirely new group of people to become friends. If your son goes "away" to college it can be a cultural experience.

If my son were still playing this year had he had a game yesterday all he would have wanted to talk about at dinner is the Yale-Baylor basketball game. Life doesn't have to be completely about baseball.

RJM, That is an excellent point. Parents can help improve the whole college experience by supporting their son adn the team. Do not ruin their experience by telling them they are getting jobbed. 

If they come to you, first, Talk to them and be a sounding board. Be sympathetic. But help them be positive, do not feed into any negativity. You can help make it a good experience or feed into their negativity. Do you really think the coach is going to support a kid who is negative.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.