Skip to main content

I will go out on a limb here...in the State of Illinois, maybe five, maybe a little less, maybe a little more, could out and clearly out perform their peers (starters) on the varsity level. I believe that number is reduced even further if that player had to compete for a spot on a top or even good high school program.

We only heard a few names thrown around on this topic. Coulda, shoulda, wouldas can't count because it did not happen. Freshman that make varsity at smaller and/or less competitive schools,while having achieved a special honor, need to be viewed within the existing competitive surroundings.

What surprises me is that several months ago, we heard about a large number of 2006 freshman would be pushing the juniors and seniors off the field this year. I did not happen. Good
reality check for the parents who thought otherwise. Yes, exceptions do exist.

What happened is regardless of what you tell yourself, the 2009 class at this is is not better, as tough, as big, as physically developed, strong or as baseball smart as their varsity peers. Thats o.k. they are only freshman. Every incoming class thinks as much to one degree or another.

I do believe however that travel/training has created a new class of high school baseball that will take the game to a new level. The talent gets better every year. If nothing else the rosters are much deeper with talent.
Karl...I agree with your perspective. For every 5'10", 175# freshman, playing on his varsity baseball team, there are 8,251 that are freshmen 5'5"-5'11", 135-155# and are happy to be playing freshman ball.

Fully 95% of the kids that play varsity as freshmen starters, have to be playing in programs that aren't necessarily competitive or go to smallish schools. Too, they are already mature and have facial hair and hair on their legs. No or very little projection.

Dads...What is the rush?
I've seen a couple of players go up either part time or for the second part of the season go up to varsity as Frosh. adn do well. One was Major Leaguer Dan Wilson and the other, who is now a Minor League Pitcher was 3-4 years ahead of his peers physically.

I've also seen a couple others who were brought up early and it hurt them. One even quit before his senior year. Unless your son is a man-child, don't sweat it.

JMO
While most people in the state don't know our program and would never consider us "elite," we do have one Freshman battling for a starting spot on our varsity. He will have to beat out a senior and junior but is holding his own. I do agree that most of the time, this is seldom achieved at the larger schools. We aren't a very big school and so...
Last edited by CoachB25
CoachB25,

I won't say this too loud, lest the rest of the state finds out the truth about your program. You have achieve much success within your organization and I would ask you if you would share how rare or special is it to find a student-athlete capable of playing varsity as a freshman. Other than baseball skills, what other traits must they possess. By the way and not by me I might add, I think the words getting out.
Well, this young man stood out because his confidence factor demonstrated that he belonged. When he was given a chance to hit in front of the coaching staff, he showed excellent bat speed but also could keep his bat back when we threw off speed stuff. When I went to throw him curves and sliders to "get after him," I gave him more than he could handle. However, was very "business-like" and kept his emotions in check. I liked that. He listens and does everything he is told. He does so as quickly as possible. Therefore, I'd say that the hustle factor was important. When we put him out in the outfield his speed was apparent. He also possess a nice throwing arm. Presently, he will get a chance to win a starting position in left field and has alreay won a postion on the pitching staff. If I could mention one other trait that I really like, he is humble. His Dad posts on this site and goes by Just_Learning. Interesting that I'd post how humble the kid is and then take note of what the Dad chose to call himself. I think there might be a correlation. This young man will do very well in life.
My hope is that we factor into the equation that this is HS Baseball and that means we are concerned about all kids involved not only those who may have the ability to go to the next level. To that end I believe that an underclassman should be distinctly better than the older kid before he takes the job. A kid who has put two or three years into the program should not be pushed aside unless as I said, the younger kid is much better. Potential and projectablity are not enough to displace the older kid. Making the team better in a year or two should not have a higher importance than the baseball experience of the kids who are Juniors and Seniors. Again this is HS Baseball, not Professional or College Baseball. JMO
Most freshman that end up playing varsity are most likely doing it in positions that are thin, such as catcher. This is the case in the two young men spoken of here earlier. I would agree that in most other cases where freshmen play varsity it is due to fact that the varsity team is not very strong. Some varsity coaches won't even bring a freshman up even if he is a better player.
Obviously, all different scenarios can be involved when talking about a freshman playing varsity ball. At our school, we had a freshman play varsity a few years ago. Not common for this coach. This kid was a catcher, but DH'd his freshman year because of the quality catcher in front of him. That was on a team that finished with a 30-7 record. He's now playing at Purdue.
When Bret entered high school baseball tryouts as a freshman, he was told that he would be brought up to the soph. level. When uniforms were passed out, he was given a Varsity uniform.
We called the coach and told him that we would prefer him to stay down at the lower level if he was not going to play, the coach assured us that he would be a contributing factor to the team and would start. He did and enjoyed the experience. He "fit in" with the 17 and 18 year olds on the team. They accepted him as a team mate that could hold his own. He didn't socialize with them on weekends, he hung out with his freshman friends.

I think we all agree that if a player has the ability, he should be challenged. Travel ball
has progressed so much that freshman ball is like the Pinto league to some. That is why most of us put our kids into travel ball. At 10 years of age, during a rec league game, Bret was told he shouldn't throw so hard to first from third, cause he could hurt the boy!!!
We knew it was time to leave!!! As I'm sure was the way it was with most of you's!!!

High school programs want to win....if a freshman can contribute ... Why not?
quote:
Originally posted by Ratboy:
Something else to keep in mind is that there are Freshman players in many schools that could play varsity, but that doesn't also mean that they should.

Scott Sexton at Oak Lawn started there as a frosh, and maybe he could've started at any number of other schools -- but he probably wouldn't have.
In that area alone:
* Richards had Whitney and Kyle something (signed with St. Joseph).
* Reavis had Mueller starting as a soph - and he lost out on varsity time as a frosh because they had 3 capable SS (the older Mueller, Lucas, and a kid named Joy).
* St. Laurence had a kid playing that might have been all-league
* Marist had a handful of kids on that side of the infield that were all-conference
* Brother Rice had a kid from the Berwyn Bulldogs

My point is that he had the talent (at least offensively) to play for all of those schools, but wouldn't have been the varsity starter because they didn't need him to be.

what kid from the bulldogs?
I run the Chicago Clubbers ...... The Clubbers are coached by Ted Krga, Ray Ramos, Dave Rosene and Joe Dunnigan Sr.. Our catcher Jon Dorsey is a Freshman and is in the same skill category as Niko Gomez (St. Ignatius); he will be the varsity catcher for Simeon High School in 2006.

The following other Freshman players from the Clubbers are playing on the Sophomore team for Whitney Young Magnet High School in Chicago; Dai Bowden (EH), Frank Gowder (RHP, SS, 3B, Catcher) and Jason Ormond (RHP, 1B)........also playing for the Clubbers in 2006 is Pedro Rosa (CF, OF) another Freshman who is also attending Whitney Young and is playing at the Sophomore level is Gabe Henriques (RHP, 2B, SS and a switch hitter).

Rosa played for the Arlington Longshots in 2005 and Gabe Henriques played for the Westlawn Wildcats in 2005; both will be with the 15-U Clubbers in 2006.
Last edited by mark ormond
Jack Havey- A very talented LHP is presently up with the Loyola varsity as they are in St. Louis this weekend. I am sure he will bounce up and down from the Soph to Var level all year to get some PT at 1st base. He is not only outstanding for a Freshman, he is outstanding at any level! 6'3 1/2" can PITCH between 80 to 84 mph with great command of all of his pitches. Being an Honor Student does not hurt either.... He will be recruited very heavily in the future.
Last edited by TT41
Appears to be a few gem frosh down south Springfield area (Central State 8)...at least off to hot starts anway. Best of lot probably Tommy Jennings of Sacred Heart Griffin hitting well over .400 with lots of pop. And two freshmen in Jacksonville, cousins I think, a slick fielding shortstop Chaser Todd who's also well over .400 at plate and 1B Buddy Sexton with some good power numbers. I think there's couple more in conference but that's all we've seen thus far.
Jordan Coffey is the real deal; I have watched him play for several years in various tournaments.

Another real deal player is Josh Levy a Freshman playing Varsity for Niles North. I have been watching Levy since 2002; he is a prolific hitter with a power swing and speed who went 4-for-5 with 2 runs scored, double, HR 5 RBI's in a April 21 game versus Gordon Tech. When playing for Clubbers Travel Team had several multiple home run games with balls hit over the wall at UIC and also at Cubs Care Park located at Clyborn and Halsted in Chicago.

Final score: Niles North over Gordon Tech 14-3.
Last edited by mark ormond

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.