Skip to main content

If I could take the knowledge I have today back to last August I would have pushed my son to start at his college in August of 2021 vs last August.   Kudo's to the parents on this board that had the foresight to do just that!  Having kids learn predominantly remotely from dorm rooms (few hybrid classes) was not ideal.  Covid also created an environment of limited social interactions which was a mental strain as well.  Baseball wise, depending on the school, you had graduate students and transfers swelling the numbers of kids on the rosters (as expected) and not just any kids but excellent players.   If you were in a northeast D3 they also required masks at practice and during games, limited games to the conference only, no fans (crazy, there are 100 fans at our HS games at that team is 1-6) and only games on the weekends.  So the season ends up only being 12 games and all but one weekend with only 2 games.  Just think about what that means for pitching rotation.... It has to be short and the coach has to (a good coach would) pitch the top guys as much as possible.   Also limited opportunities for those in the field too.

Through all of that my son's experience was still very good (season not over, conference championships to come too).  He has great teammates/friends, great coaches, a great college for his education and things should be normal in the fall.  He also grew an inch and put on 10 pounds of muscle and prob 10 more from beer....  I tend to never look back but perhaps it might have been better to have kept him home but we move forward!

Also, it is so easy to understand why the D1 portal is so active and in my opinion will remain so for the next 2-3 years.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hindsight is 2020, right?  Look at kids who started college in fall of 2017 (my older son's year).  The Ivy kids got 2 seasons and a handful of games last year and nothing this year.  Seniors are graduating having played 2 seasons and they are done!  I imagine some of these kids would give anything to have started college in 2020.

I know it is different but I don't think it will be much different baseball wise next year maybe even worse.  Mine would be the opposite.  Son was a 2020 so I know it is different from OP.  My son, I think, had a distinct advantage over the incoming freshmen this year.  He had last fall to gain classes and experience on the field.  He got to play in some early games last spring before Covid hit and was scheduled to be a significant part of last year's team.

For those who came in this year, they were behind the 8 ball in every area.  I think it also depends on classes or goals of college.  I think the online classes are easier in some areas and harder in others.

We only have 2 incoming freshmen who are competing at all and only 1 who starts.  I think next year will be even worse unless you are truly a stud.  The one time transfer rule will allow a lot of guys to go to other schools to compete.  Son is playing at a top 5 P5 right now and I expect us to gain a lot of one time transfer guys who are at non-competitive schools but who are very good.  I think if I was the coaching staff I would go after those guys to fill voids rather than counting on HS guys and guys who have not proved themselves in SEC play.  There are rumblings that a few big time guys at the bottom of the P5 schools will do the transfer thing this summer to go with schools that are at the top.  I think this plays out at all levels not just the P5 schools in D1.

If son had not had last year to prove himself, I don't think he would be where he is today and I think that will be the case for the 2020 guys.  Some of them have had a year to prove themselves and their worth whereas the next class will come in with fully loaded teams again and no experience.  Many of them will not be at their schools next spring.  When you only have fall to prove yourself and the team is full of older guys it will be hard to do.

@Smitty28 posted:

Hindsight is 2020, right?  Look at kids who started college in fall of 2017 (my older son's year).  The Ivy kids got 2 seasons and a handful of games last year and nothing this year.  Seniors are graduating having played 2 seasons and they are done!  I imagine some of these kids would give anything to have started college in 2020.

What a great perspective!  I clearly have a narrow view..... I feel bad for those kids too.  Rough all around.

@Smitty28 posted:

My son is one of those. Fortunately, he’s looking forward not back. I think it’s harder on the parents than it is on their kids.

My son is also one of the 2017s, but thankfully we at least got a season this year.  Yes limited to conference but they are playing 25 games and will have a conference championship.  Feel for a lot of the parents here whose found the kids at a school that implemented some really bizarre rules and requirements.  

No matter where you are at right now with you kids and their journey -- Covid threw a huge curveball to us all.  

Gunner, this has been a tough year for everyone, school admins, conference admins, teachers, profs, players, coaches. I am sorry that your son didnt have the year as expected. Our team hasnt either. We have played a lot of games, but trust me 4 conference games per weekend has been exhausting on everyone.

However, your son will have this year to grow on and be ready to be a part of the starting team next year, I would bet on it. He will have learned a lot this year about himself, his teammates, coaches and expectations, etc.

For those who say they feel badly for last years freshman and this years freshman, well we have last years freshman (who are redshirts) and true freshman playing and not sitting the bench. It's been a tough year but they will be more than ready for next year.

So will your player!

TPM

The bad part of the deal is the whole "do your homework" went out the window.  No one got what they signed up for.  When NLIs were signed last year, no one knew there would be all the guys coming back who should have been gone between graduation and the draft.  You can't even plan for next year, because the transfer portal throws it all out the window.  Really hard to make any educated choices.

From what I understand, even at some D3’s, there are current Seniors planning on coming back next year for one more year of Baseball (and getting started on graduate school work and/or taking advantage of internship opportunities through the college)

this is accurate, more grad students this year then and next then I have ever seen. Mine is one of them, he has a job lined up, grad school in the fall and baseball in the spring....with 2 grad class.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.