Skip to main content

Next year a former player of mine will compete his second (and final) year at a JUCO.

He wants to begin the process of promoting himself to D3 programs.  I couldn't tell him what NCAA rules govern the process.

Can anyone direct me to "JUCO to D3 For Dummies"?  For example, the timeline.  Rules governing contact.  Etc.

I comprehend HS-to-college.  But not college-to-college.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Assuming he went straight to Juco out of HS and competed two years with no lengthy breaks, I don't think he'll find much difficulty from an athletic regulation/qualification standpoint - others can speak to this in more detail (although I do believe there are timing elements with regard to contacting other schools).  However, I would suggest he also open up his target scope to include NAIA schools.  I say this for a few reasons... 

- a majority of D3 schools are less inclined to look to Juco transfers, while quite a few NAIA's thrive on bringing them in (yes, there are several exceptions to both).

- NAIA has athletic scholarship $.  D3 does not.

-NAIA regulations are bit more loose with transfers than NCAA.

-Generally, the range of competition is similar to D3, so he will be fishing in a similar pond.

Also, the bigger concern, regardless of level, will be whether his JC classes transfer and how many.  This varies from school to school.  Many JC's have preferred partner schools but this is usually tied to the nearest state schools.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Thanks cabbagedad.

Especially this statement of yours:  "a majority of D3 schools are less inclined to look to Juco transfers,"  which confirms a similar impression that I had.

However, at this point, he's dead-set on D3.  He's hoping for the academic challenge and diploma-cred of a "second-tier academically-strong D3", to coin a term.  Maybe NAIIA is a better choice. But neither he nor his parents are currently interested in that.  On the other hand, the factor you mentioned above might be the deciding factor.

You also said,

"Assuming he went straight to Juco out of HS and competed two years with no lengthy breaks, I don't think he'll find much difficulty from an athletic regulation/qualification standpoint - others can speak to this in more detail (although I do believe there are timing elements with regard to contacting other schools)."

He did in fact go JUCO straight out of HS and I assume he'll complete his second year without any breaks. 

If anybody knows about the athletic regulation/qualification/timing-elements of JUCO to D3, please weigh in.  Thanks! 

Last edited by game7
game7 posted:

Thanks cabbagedad.

Especially this statement of yours:  "a majority of D3 schools are less inclined to look to Juco transfers,"  which confirms a similar impression that I had.

However, at this point, he's dead-set on D3.  He's hoping for the academic challenge and diploma-cred of a "second-tier academically-strong D3", to coin a term.  Maybe NAIIA is a better choice. But neither he nor his parents are currently interested in that.  On the other hand, the factor you mentioned above might be the deciding factor.

You also said,

"Assuming he went straight to Juco out of HS and competed two years with no lengthy breaks, I don't think he'll find much difficulty from an athletic regulation/qualification standpoint - others can speak to this in more detail (although I do believe there are timing elements with regard to contacting other schools)."

He did in fact go JUCO straight out of HS and I assume he'll complete his second year without any breaks. 

If anybody knows about the athletic regulation/qualification/timing-elements of JUCO to D3, please weigh in.  Thanks! 

Sounds like he has some specific D3 schools in mind... that will make it easier to research and figure out feasibility as a JC transfer. 

I believe some of the timing elements are similar to the HS recruiting process... the player can contact 4 yr schools but the 4 yr schools must have clearance from current school to contact the player up to a certain point in time.  This applies particularly to a player as you describe who still has another year of JC.  His JC coach will know and will be able to initiate the clearance, I believe.  It should be just a formality, since JC's are the vehicle to 4-yr.   Sorry so vague on this... take Fenway's lead and call that # or have player call.

Last edited by cabbagedad

a majority of D3 schools are less inclined to look to Juco transfers,

I could see this with privates. But what about D3’s that are part of a state university system? I’m not sure how it correlates with baseball. But the general population of the lower level state university system tends to have lower than usual graduation rates. Which means students not returning. 

Last edited by RJM

Should be no problem to transfer assuming D3 will accept the transfer. Having all of his class transfer will be another matter. Timing he may have a little leeway compared to HS. Younger son went 2 yr JUCO and was recruited by some  D3's towards and after school end. (He chose NAIA closer to home) If he has a school in mind contact the coach. There is no manditory sitting out from juco to 4 yr schools as long as he maintains eligibilty. Consider contacting Rick from informed athlete

cabbagedad posted:

RJM, good point.  I know there is a pocket closer to your neck of the woods, the SUNY's, Mass., PA., and also Wisconsin that have some state D3's but very few that I am aware of out West or elsewhere.  Game7 lists USA as location so that doesn't help 

Dare I even say it but the NCSA database lists 76 public D3 colleges in the US that have baseball. There are 320 private.

There are no NCAA restrictions on 4 yr schools contacting JuCo players - to the best of my knowledge. However, early contact is usually initiated by the JuCo player as 4 yr schools often don’t want to piss off the JuCo HC by contacting his players prematurely. So it’s more a courtesy than a restriction. My son just completed his freshman year of JuCo ball. He is going back for his Soph year but he has been contacted by 4 yr schools that have expressed interest in him. Sometimes contact goes thru the JuCo HC and sometimes it doesn’t. But trust me on this, you want to leave a JuCo in good standing w/ the JuCo HC. I have heard way too many stories of JuCo HCs trying to bury players that leave on terms that haven’t been blessed. 

There are some minor restrictions in the D3 manual about contact at the student athlete’s school (see below), but I agree with adbono that this is mostly a matter of protocol with his juco coach. Each coach has his own way he likes to do things, and if the player wants the coach's help, he should try to play by the coach’s rules. I would suggest that he talks to the coach soon and gets his blessing (and advice) about contacting D3 coaches. That should just be a formality, then he can start making direct contact or the juco coach may want to initiate the contact. As far as timeline… he can start now, with the goal of getting schools to evaluate him during the fall season. D3s will be trying to lock up high school kids in the fall, so he needs to be on their radar before they fill those spots.

13.1.4 Contact Restrictions at Specified Sites.

13.1.4.1 Prospective Student-Athlete’s Educational Institution. Any staff member and any representative of the institution’s athletics interests desiring to contact a prospective student-athlete at the prospective student-athlete’s high school, college preparatory school or two-year college first shall obtain permission for such contact from that institution’s executive officer (or designee). Contact may be made only when such permission is granted. Permission for such contact is not required if the contact with the prospective student-athlete is made after official school hours. Member institutions also are bound by this provision when recruiting international athletes. [D] (Revised: 7/21/09)

13.1.4.2 Practice or Competition Site. Recruiting contact may not be made with a prospective student athlete before any athletics competition in which the prospective student-athlete is a participant on that day of competition until the prospective student-athlete is released for that day by the appropriate institutional authority(e.g., prospective student-athlete’s coach or comparable authority). Further, telephone calls or electronic communications may not be made with a prospective student-athlete at the site of organized competition involving the prospective student-athlete by athletics personnel who are attending the competition or who are aware of the competition. [D] (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/10/91, 1/11/94, 1/9/96 effective 7/1/96, 12/19/13, 1/17/15, 1/21/15, 1/16/16)

13.1.4.2.1 Exception—Official/Unofficial Visit—Contact on Institution’s Campus on Day of Competition Prior to Competition. Athletics staff members are permitted to have on campus contact prior to competition with a prospective student-athlete, provided the prospective student-athlete is not scheduled to compete on that day on the institution’s campus. (Adopted: 1/16/16)

13.1.4.2.2 Contact with Prospective Student-Athlete’s Relatives or Guardians at Practice or Competition Site. Recruiting contact may be made with the relatives, guardian(s) or individual of a comparable relationship of a contactable prospective student-athlete (see Bylaw 13.1.1) at the site of the prospective student-athlete’s practice or competition, including during the conduct of a competition. (Adopted: 7/21/09)

13.1.5 Evaluations. There are no restrictions on the number or timing of evaluations (see Bylaw 13.02.4). (Adopted: 4/20/09)

Important is which hours will transfer...

Kind of depends on his academic focus/ degree program. Where are you located?

I can only speak for Texas Colleges/Univ...Schools like UTSA, Tx A & M Corpus Christi are great mid level D-1's that have lots of JUCO transfers. UT Dallas has a few & has a heavy emphasis on Business & Technology. They also offer Honors programs for high academic achievers...All 3 of these have pretty strong Alumni Assoc, as well. Good for job connections!

Last edited by baseballmom

When I was playing Juco the head coach made it clear that if you completed your time in good standing he would do anything within his power to help you find a spot.  It was as simple as just telling him where you wanted to go and he made some calls.  A lot of guys got placed like that.  ***Caveat- this was the mid 80's which is a much different time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.