Skip to main content

I don't have a story like nhmonty's, and I have no idea whether my son is ranked. I did want to chime in, though, that when I read marketing materials by PG saying that 75% of drafted players did a PG showcase, I take that to mean that the best of the best think doing PG is worthwhile -- not that PG is taking credit for discovering these kids.
JSParek,

I’m not sure you want to hear the truth. I believe, at this time, there are two high school players from Maryland ranked among the top 500 in the nation for the 2010 class. One of the two (50%) has never attended a PG event. If he gets drafted, we will not say he went to a PG event. This "ranked" player has never paid PG a dime, unless he has subscribed to pgcrosschecker.

If you truly have a young player, do whatever you want. If he’s good enough, we will find out about him whether he attends a PG event or not.

I would estimate that nearly half of those who attend a PG event, were ranked before attending the event. Wouldn’t it make sense that we would try to get those players to an event.

I doubt if most people have any idea how much is spent to do what we do. We don’t simply attend our own events and wait for players to show up. The secret for talented players is to get to the better events. Then we will see the player and the player hasn’t spent a dime on PG.

We have gone on record, many times, saying that we take no credit for any players accomplishments. That doesn’t change what has happened. Don’t you find it odd that nearly 80% of an entire draft attended certain events? Truth is, closer to 99% have been “ranked” by that same organization.

I’m starting to think you might have an agenda and don’t want to hear the truth. With some research you can easily find answers. You could simply ask questions, but it appears you’re more in an attack mode. Yet, you claim you’re a parent that is simply looking for answers because your son is not yet old enough.

It seems if your son is your major interest here, you would contact us directly rather than post what pretty much looks like accusations on a public message board. You're not really asking, you are claiming things as though they are facts! That is what is so confusing. How can you know all of these things when you have not experienced any of it? Just what is your agenda?

You can contact the coach that this thread is about. That would be a good place to start your research.

Searching the archives on the PG site you will see this posted in many different places. I will copy and paste it here.

Note: Often the PG naysayers get upset when we release these figures. However, they are a very important part of our business. We ask, if anyone else could claim these numbers, would they keep it confidential? Please everyone, understand that we are not laying claim for these players getting drafted. Our job is to identify talented players, not to develop them, draft them or recruit them. That is why we use the term "attended PG events" rather than "PG Player". We don't deserve any credit for the vast majority of talented players who attend our events and go on to get College Scholarships or become draft picks. We understand that Justin Upton would have been what he is, with or without PG.

The credit should go to the many coaches, teams, teammates, instructors, parents and most of all, to the individual players themselves. Many of these players play in excellent summer and fall programs. Without those programs PG would miss a lot of talented players.

Last, but not least, people should really appreciate those who are involved in scouting for Major League Clubs and the many college coaches who scout and recruit hard. Without these people, we would all be wasting our time.

MLB Scouts and College Coaches are the most important people in this whole process. They are the people who make the most important decisions! Lucky for us is that they follow what we do very closely.
Last edited by PGStaff
JSParek - I feel the agenda as well and these get old frankly.

I don't feel some people appreciate that PG (Jerry Ford) is one of the largest content/information providers to our site. I am talking about freely providing highly-valued information and insight gained from years of direct experience with every college program out there, pro scouts, and on to the very highest levels of professional baseball. The value of our site would diminish to almost nill if it were not for his personal contributions and expertise. He also does much work behind the scenes here answering what I am sure are dozens and dozens of PM's per month. Make no mistake, he does all this because he loves the game and loves to interact with like-minded people on the site.

In addition to his content contribution, he is the largest financial contributor to our site and never ever draws attention to himself. The number of kids that have either directly attended one of his events or benefited by being noticed by his organization is something to be proud of and he has earned the right to freely discuss those facts as they may come up here from time to time. He is also a stand-up guy who is willing to publicy take the heat when perhaps one of their thousands of evaluations turned out lower in hindsight than maybe it ought to be.

A few years back we lost bbscout (Doug McMillan) and I am not sure our site has ever fully recovered from his loss. Lets not drive away our very best resources that we have here at the hsbbweb.
All,

I have no agenda.

What you ALL fail to understand (from my perspective) is that EVERY year a couple of million kids enter HS and that means a couple of million parents enter the realm of how to get their kids recruited and where best to spend their money for maximum exposure. We all think our kids are good. Some think their kids are great. If I have these questions, others have these questions.

I've spent late last evening and most of the day today reading all I could about PG. I called a couple of old friends who went through this in the past with their kids. One of the guys said it wasn't that important to be a part of the PG showcase process as his son was recruited anyway. One said to get involved as early as possible because it will maximize exposure. He also told me to do a showcase every year because it would show progress. A couple of guys said they didn't really know if it helped as they were still involved win the process. I was told that there are certain advantages to the PG system like getting a rating that would help when you contact coaches. They could look up their names and get an independent opinion to decide whether a kid is a potential prospect. No one told me that the system is worthless and none said they wish they didn't do it.

Getting back to follow up on my first paragraph, the marketing of the program needs work. PG goes the extra mile to give you all the stats that imply they are the reason for success and point out on another page that they give all credit to the work of the player, coaches, leagues etc. Maybe PG should have a question and answer page that asks these same questions that I have and then answer them to set the record straight. I am still not sold on the PG system but it appears as though I am wrong in my initial beliefs on how the system works. 1, and only 1, parent offered me up that their kid did get ranked having not participated prior to being involved in an event. The question I have for nhmonty is; When did their son get noticed. Was it his freshmen year, sophomore year, junior year etc. and do they think that it would have made a difference in the recruiting process had they got involved with PG sooner.

The following link is the "About PG" link on the PG website. I think they do a decent job here explaining the how to's but they still imply too many things to put me at ease. Past experience from other parents would help me to be at ease. There's another page that should be added!

http://www.perfectgame.org/about_pg/index.aspx
quote:

Originally posted by JSParak:

All,

I have no agenda.

Unfortunately JS, what YOU fail to understand and realize is that those of us who have been on here quite some time can pinpoint someone who has an agenda very easiy and rather quickly. With that end, you DO have an agenda and after reading your posts here on this thread and many of your other posts it's quite obvious that:

1 - You or someone you know either doesn't like PG or competes against them, thus the attacks...or

2 - Your son somewhere or sometime has not received a PG rating to your liking and by golly, someone is going to pay!

What you ALL fail to understand (from my perspective) is that EVERY year a couple of million kids enter HS and that means a couple of million parents enter the realm of how to get their kids recruited and where best to spend their money for maximum exposure. We all think our kids are good. Some think their kids are great. If I have these questions, others have these questions.

DUH! What is there to not understand about this? This doesn't take rocket science to know this year in and year out.

I've spent late last evening and most of the day today reading all I could about PG. I called a couple of old friends who went through this in the past with their kids. One of the guys said it wasn't that important to be a part of the PG showcase process as his son was recruited anyway. One said to get involved as early as possible because it will maximize exposure. He also told me to do a showcase every year because it would show progress. A couple of guys said they didn't really know if it helped as they were still involved win the process. I was told that there are certain advantages to the PG system like getting a rating that would help when you contact coaches. They could look up their names and get an independent opinion to decide whether a kid is a potential prospect. No one told me that the system is worthless and none said they wish they didn't do it.

HELLO MCFLY?! If no one that you know had anything negative or derogatory to say about PG, do you need us to spell it out for you?

Getting back to follow up on my first paragraph, the marketing of the program needs work.

So you're a marketing guru, huh? If you don't like how they are selling it, don't buy it. It's apparent that thousands of other players/parents buy each year, over and over.

PG goes the extra mile to give you all the stats that imply they are the reason for success

Follow the bouncing ball here with me...yes....the reason for success in helping players get noticed and hopefully to the next level. NOT success in the development of talent of these players....

and point out on another page that they give all credit to the work of the player, coaches, leagues etc.

It's good to see that you CAN connect the dots afterall....

Maybe PG should have a question and answer page that asks these same questions that I have and then answer them to set the record straight. I am still not sold on the PG system but it appears as though I am wrong in my initial beliefs on how the system works.

Earth to Major Tom...by golly I think he is actually saying he just MIGHT be wrong...or is it still a bit fuzzy...??

1, and only 1, parent offered me up that their kid did get ranked having not participated prior to being involved in an event. The question I have for nhmonty is; When did their son get noticed. Was it his freshmen year, sophomore year, junior year etc. and do they think that it would have made a difference in the recruiting process had they got involved with PG sooner.

The following link is the "About PG" link on the PG website. I think they do a decent job here explaining the how to's but they still imply too many things to put me at ease.

PG, it hurts my feelings that you guys didn't design and market your organization and website to the liking of this guy. I AM glad that you did a "decent" job as he eloquently puts it....LOL. Maybe you should consult your "at ease" dept from now on!

JSP - every time you touch the keyboard it further convinces this group of knowledgeable people that you either: 1) enjoy playing devils advocate and getting everyone irritated or 2) have a learning disability.

5-6 different people have told you the same thing in response to the same questions that you continue to ask. What do you want for crying out loud? After all your ramblings, accusations and intensive research, it's still not clear to anyone. Think about it for a while and formulate the question before you spew redundant, half-baked complains and questions.

Not withstanding all the great explanations and testimonials from PGstaff and customers that actually USE PGs service, what planet are you from to think that PG should do what it does for free?? I am not sure what line of work you are in but i don't think you would provide a service, especially one that everyone wants, uses and is happy with, for free!! Seriously, what is your real agenda?
Just my 2 cents, because I normally wouldn't chime in on a Maryland Forum, but I was curious.

My son (2011) has received several correspondences from Maryland, through snail and email over the past 6-8 months. He played varsity as a sophomore and had a decent year, but I firmly believe that he started receiving interest from Maryland and several other schools due to the PG events that he's participated in the last year.

On another note; I was torn between sending my kid to a college camp run by a very well respected baseball scout recently, or a local PG event. I ended up sending him to the PG event only after having a great conversation with the scout and a D1 Head Coach here in California. The coach confirmed that he does look at the Profile/Reports on kids that attend certain PG events. He obviously still wants to see the player in person, but the potential recruit would then be put on the Radar for his program. That's why we showcase our kids, to give them a chance to get on the "Radar" and hopefully his talent can take over from there.

BTW, I don't know much about the Terps, but the fact that they're extending the recruiting for the program all over the map means that they are going to be a player in the very near future!
JSParak,

Your posts simply expose an agenda. I don't see how an objective exchange with someone like you would ever be productive. Perfect Game may not be for everyone. There is no gun to your head to have your son utilize Perfect Game's services. You can choose not to send your child to an event. But many of us on here would warn you that your child could very well win the title "Best Player No One Ever Heard Of" down the road. But I guess with the money you save from not going to an event, you could buy your family a trophy or a bowl for your mantle in Maryland.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballguy:
Gee.....what ever happened to our nice little thread about where the Terp baseball program might be headed?

I agree that facilities play a very important role in recruiting, next up is the coach who recruits them. Bakich, very charming and likeable, is a part of Leggett's coaching tree, and most of them have had much success.

BTW, they showed my son those pants at Clemson too, if you do your homework, it's not about fitted white pants but the tradition that it represents, and he was very impressed. Too bad his never "fitted" him as well as his teammates. Smile

nhmonty, great conference and your son definetly has a lot of challenging work cut out for himself, best of luck.
Thanks baseballguy, DK is doing well, hope all is ok on your end as well.

FWIW, as bad as the facilities are, it is tough to play at Maryland if you are not acustomed to it, if they still have the infield astro turf, it's a bummer for the visiting pitcher. Those ground ball singles can turn into ground ball doubles, watch out!
TPM

Thank you for the good luck wish for our son. He thinks he knows what lies ahead - ACC a wee bit different than NH baseball

He got his eyes opened at TOS, Area Code Games and East Coast Pro. He struggle a bit first few days of TOS, but got better at the end and did ok in the other events.

Now he knows what the ACC is like on a daily basis. Lots of work ahead for him if he wants to earn playing time in 2011.

Going to Maryland for official visit week after next
-couldn't go in the fall, kid was playing football.

Looking forward to Terps - Tar Heels Bball game. Also interested in progress of Terps baseball.
Last edited by nhmonty
quote:
The question I have for nhmonty is; When did their son get noticed. Was it his freshmen year, sophomore year, junior year etc. and do they think that it would have made a difference in the recruiting process had they got involved with PG sooner.

---------------------------------------------------

i can't speak FOR nhmonty. but i can speak to this question. i too was very surprised that his son was ranked at pg. not because he wasn't good enough, just there are not that many eye's up here. that showed me that pg really isn't about the money. (i'll go on record that my son's never attended a pg event, never ranked either as far as i know.)

nh monty is a friend of mine, for that reason i won't talk the boy up. but stevie wonder could have found him. Wink

jsparak

you sound like the father of a younger player. you'll come to realize there are many different levels of players, and programs. not every player is good enough to be ranked, but there is a place for him to play. he just needs to find that place, which you may find more difficult than you think.

recruiting has changed in the last 6 yrs, as it probably will in the next 6yrs. i would say that if your son improves at this game, you'll be wanting him to attend a pg event.

before you question motives of money, do some research. i dare say pg top 100 rankings would be the same regardless, even a caveman could do it. Wink

ahh, winter on the bbweb, it can get nasty.
Last edited by 20dad
I won't comment on the PG rant, other than to say Jerry and Jim have been absolute top professionals anytime I've dealt with them.

As far as Maryland Baseball, all I can say is Well Done! Coach Burton and Coach Bakich are legit. My personal experience with Coach Burton has been great. No doubt, Coach Bakich and Burton have a plan centered around recruiting talented, tough, hard-nosed players. They've cast a net that reaches as far south as a Texas, hoping to balance their local talent. If there is any question, just look at their first recruiting class for 2010. If those guys don't get you excited about the future of Terp baseball, well !

The information we received regarding the athletics gift from Bob & Carol Smith will certainly help address the need for facilities upgrades.

We wish them all the best this spring and we are definitley THINKING MARYLAND BASEBALL!

GED10DaD
quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
quote:
The question I have for nhmonty is; When did their son get noticed. Was it his freshmen year, sophomore year, junior year etc. and do they think that it would have made a difference in the recruiting process had they got involved with PG sooner.

---------------------------------------------------

i can't speak FOR nhmonty. but i can speak to this question. i too was very surprised that his son was ranked at pg. not because he wasn't good enough, just there are not that many eye's up here. that showed me that pg really isn't about the money. (i'll go on record that my son's never attended a pg event, never ranked either as far as i know.)

nh monty is a friend of mine, for that reason i won't talk the boy up. but stevie wonder could have found him. Wink

jsparak

you sound like the father of a younger player. you'll come to realize there are many different levels of players, and programs. not every player is good enough to be ranked, but there is a place for him to play. he just needs to find that place, which you may find more difficult than you think.

recruiting has changed in the last 6 yrs, as it probably will in the next 6yrs. i would say that if your son improves at this game, you'll be wanting him to attend a pg event.

ahh, winter on the bbweb, it can get nasty.

Perfect answer form one parent to another. That's all I wanted. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by LHPMom2012:
I don't have a story like nhmonty's, and I have no idea whether my son is ranked. I did want to chime in, though, that when I read marketing materials by PG saying that 75% of drafted players did a PG showcase, I take that to mean that the best of the best think doing PG is worthwhile -- not that PG is taking credit for discovering these kids.

Excellent comment LHPMOM2012 -- Perfect Game is a terrific service for those kids that want to participate in a weekend event that is typically well attended by College Coaches --- The ratings provided for the participants are fair and appear to be graded on the "bell curve" --- I provided my son and others with a terrific way to show case their talents and to provide entry to other showcases held -- i.e., AFLAC, Tournament of Stars, and MLB Pro Weekend- Jerry Ford has a passion for baseball and for the kids that participate at Perfect Game. No one forces a kid to participate and there are other options available - such as Blue/Gray and local camps etc. But from our experience, it is the real deal and well worth the time and money. It just so happens that the cream of the corp High school kids have knowledge of Perfect Game primarily from their High School coaches and more so if they attend a prep high school.
quote:
Originally posted by all322:
quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
Why don't we all give Coach Bakich a year or two and see what he does ???

TR, I just looked through all 4 pages of this post and only Trepfan seems unwilling to do what you suggest. Please PM him whenever you feel the need to scold. Thank you for your support???

No problem -- give him two/three years and then lets talk....and lets see where the top High school players THAT RESIDE IN MARYLAND commit to ----- My position is that if the facilities are upgraded to match the other ACC schools then Maryland's stock will rise.....
quote:
Originally posted by Trepfan:

Oh my goodness, Steve.

1. You have not been around long enough to make any statement re facilities at Terp land.

2. Since you graduated from Maryland, and from the big big bucks you rake in...make a $1 M
and tax-deductable donation to the cause.

3. I don't really believe you will around any baseball diamond in 3-4 years.

4. Do you really know who the good looking 10th graders in area are?

5. The Terps team batting average, team ERA, and team fielding percentage are simply poor and the W/L's reflect that. Maybe they can get 2/3 from Hofsta (who could finish last in the Colonial)

6. I hope Scott gets healthier and gets some air time on the bump as it does not appear he will be swinging it over the next several weeks.

OBTW: If Catonsville HS phenom) Neal Davis went to Maryland, he would have been drafted and signed by now!
Last edited by Bear
I agree with you Bear! Neal has a lot of talent that MANY teams would give significant innings to. The Terps could definitly use him! In terms of Baseball what is the point in being a 4-year long reliever on a good team rather than seing significant playing time being the #1 or #2 on another? Then be much more marketable for future professional options. Although athletes "should" pick the school for academics as well, they should also go where they can play! That is why they are student-athletes.
Would you tell your 10-year old to ride the bench on a better team when he can play on another and improve/showcase his skills?
We all have our own opinions on the matter but in the end, the only person that it matters to is Neal. If he is statisfied with his playing time and UVA degree then all our speculations on "what if" don't really mater.
Many people would have loved to see him showcasing his talent on the mound for the Terps though! I think these feelings by Terp fans hold true for every Maryland HS player who goes out of state to a "bigger name" program and doesn't see the playing time he expected. Sometimes players WANT to be part of the re-building and have the confidence in their abilities/character/coach/program that they will be recognized for their talent, even though the program they commit to isn't a top 50-100 school at the time of their arrival. I think UMD is on track and has direction and a plan. We will see how things progress.
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by Trepfan:

Oh my goodness, Steve.

1. You have not been around long enough to make any statement re facilities at Terp land.

2. Since you graduated from Maryland, and from the big big bucks you rake in...make a $1 M
and tax-deductable donation to the cause.

3. I don't really believe you will around any baseball diamond in 3-4 years.

4. Do you really know who the good looking 10th graders in area are?

5. The Terps team batting average, team ERA, and team fielding percentage are simply poor and the W/L's reflect that. Maybe they can get 2/3 from Hofsta (who could finish last in the Colonial)

6. I hope Scott gets healthier and gets some air time on the bump as it does not appear he will be swinging it over the next several weeks.

OBTW: If Catonsville HS phenom) Neal Davis went to Maryland, he would have been drafted and signed by now!

The trailer still sits behind left field. ---
Trep - You have a lot of bad mojo and it just cant be good for anyone around you. I know you have it out for Erik Bakich but how are you so full of urine and vinegar all the time?? No one really cares about the trailer but you!!! In fact, I would argue that the trailer was a great leadership decision as it has made other funds available to the program. The nicest facilities in the world will not get your kid playing time in the ACC nor will it improve the leadership of a program. I would hate to see you eat all those bitter words you spew....
Last edited by mdbaseballfan2010

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.