Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by Wagoneer:
My comments from the weekend series with UVa … Maryland has a long way to go.

The center-fielder tried to show up the UVa team when he spiked the ball on the mound after catching a line drive with the bases loaded, to keep the Maryland lead at 2-1. The only problem is he came in to pitch and after two quick outs, the defense gave the game away with 2 errors and then 3 hits. The team needs to learn how to win.

In addition:
- Players complaining to the umps on calls (and the coach letting it happen) is not the way to play the game.
- On 3-0 counts the batter would fake bunt (just like Little League), pretty pathetic.
- Dropped third strike and the batter just walks to the dugout, never even attempted to run to first.
- Extra hard slaps on pick-off moves to first
- The entire attitude of the team, very cocky and immature. Win first, and then show some confidence.
- Lack of respect for the game.

That is coaching and in my opinion this shows a team without character and class. That starts at the top. The coach is new, learning and maybe he ought to look at some of the other class programs like UNC, FSU, and UVa. They know how to win and respect the game.

Wagoneer,

The expression 'keeps p^issin the Baseball Gods off' is what we are trying to say regarding the Terp players actions (or reactions) on the field.

And I might add, the players are being directed
to perform this way including spiking the ball, fake bunt, slaps at pickoff's at 1b, 'enthusiasm',
and the one that I have raised my eyes brows several times, 'jumping into a pile for the pre-game dance while on the field' after the Umpires/Coaches swap line-ups and discuss ground rules!

And for what it is worth....... I think your opinion of what class is and the colleges is
a bit niave!

Trep........ I know I am getting more thin skinned reading your five year again story, and for the 100th time! Turn the page! Smile

Prep: Good Copy

BTW UVA Baseball Ranked #1 In the USA
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Virginia baseball team moved to No. 1 in a pair of national polls on Monday, marking the second straight season the program has claimed a No. 1 national ranking. Virginia earned the top spot in the Collegiate Baseball and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls this week.

Virginia also is ranked No. 2 nationally by Baseball America and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) this week; Vanderbilt is No. 1 in each of those polls.

Virginia owns a Division I-high 24 wins this year and stands 24-2 after recording a three-game sweep over ACC rival Maryland last weekend at Davenport Field. UVa also improved to 8-1 in conference play with its three wins over the Terrapins.

The Cavaliers were ranked No. 1 nationally for 14 weeks last season. The 2010 season also marked the first time in program history that Virginia Baseball had earned the top spot in the polls.

Virginia has leaned on its pitching and defense thus far. UVa leads the ACC with an even 2.00 team ERA and also is tops in the conference with a .986 fielding percentage. The Cavaliers are allowing just 2.4 runs per game - second fewest nationally. The offense has been solid as well, with UVa boasting a .297 team batting average.
Congratulations to U Virginia for their ranking.

Alot of bashing of Maryland and some of it deserved but looking on the bright side in Virgina series.

The first game was a horrible, and Maryland probably didn't have a chance from the start with the Hultzen (sp). But the last two games.

Maryland led first game for six innings until errors took away their chance to win.

Maryland didn't fold in game two.

Maryland pitchers held the #1 team in country to 5 earned runs in the last 18 innings for 2.50 ERA.

Virginia only had two more hits than Maryland in the last 18 innings.

Close but no cigar is not what you are looking for but at least the team is competing relatively well against the best (I know their record is bad).
Last edited by nhmonty
quote:
BTW UVA Baseball Ranked #1 In the USA
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Virginia baseball team moved to No. 1 in a pair of national polls on Monday, marking the second straight season the program has claimed a No. 1 national ranking. Virginia earned the top spot in the Collegiate Baseball and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls this week.

Virginia also is ranked No. 2 nationally by Baseball America and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) this week; Vanderbilt is No. 1 in each of those polls.

Did I miss the memo that this is the Virginia forum?
Virginia owns a Division I-high 24 wins this year and stands 24-2 after recording a three-game sweep over ACC rival Maryland last weekend at Davenport Field. UVa also improved to 8-1 in conference play with its three wins over the Terrapins.

The Cavaliers were ranked No. 1 nationally for 14 weeks last season. The 2010 season also marked the first time in program history that Virginia Baseball had earned the top spot in the polls.

Virginia has leaned on its pitching and defense thus far. UVa leads the ACC with an even 2.00 team ERA and also is tops in the conference with a .986 fielding percentage. The Cavaliers are allowing just 2.4 runs per game - second fewest nationally. The offense has been solid as well, with UVa boasting a .297 team batting average.

Did I miss the memo that this is now the Virginia forum?
Last edited by hocobaseballfan
Oh my goodness.

Anybody who knows anything, must realize for umpteen years, after a weekend series with the Terps, the opponent will have received:

- Player of the Week
- Pitcher of the Week
- Move up in the ACC Standings
- Move up in the Baseball Rankings.

Where have you been? dah! Smile

I am heading out to the St. Johns @ Our Lady of Good Counsel HS baseball game today.

Won't be rooting for any team particular, yet will be acknowldging several of the coaches and players on each side?

Any body else watch HS baseball locally today? Smile
Last edited by Bear
One of the 'quietest' HS baseball games that I have seen considering the come from behind St John's victory (Howard show) over a poor Good Counsel defense.

But that was not the buzz around the stands at the ball park. It appears Tori Finucane (and her Dad) have left GC and are enrolled at O'Connell. GC admin and AD would not meet the demands of Mr. Finucane (he wanted to call his soon to be 16 y/o daughter's (Soph) pitches..... from the dugout!)!

And Dad knows there is a 365 day 'penalty' for any WCAC transfer! Good luck Tommy O.

I am not a betting man, but hometown product and Missouri Softball Coach may rethink Finucane verbal to Missouri!

Amazing

postscript: Mr. Finucane, since he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, probably did not realize (or even think about) that calling pitches from the bleachers behind the dish (and in fastpitch) is rather elementary!
Last edited by Bear
quote:
Originally posted by Wagoneer:
My comments from the weekend series with UVa … Maryland has a long way to go.

The center-fielder tried to show up the UVa team when he spiked the ball on the mound after catching a line drive with the bases loaded, to keep the Maryland lead at 2-1. The only problem is he came in to pitch and after two quick outs, the defense gave the game away with 2 errors and then 3 hits. The team needs to learn how to win.

In addition:
- Players complaining to the umps on calls (and the coach letting it happen) is not the way to play the game.
- On 3-0 counts the batter would fake bunt (just like Little League), pretty pathetic.
- Dropped third strike and the batter just walks to the dugout, never even attempted to run to first.
- Extra hard slaps on pick-off moves to first
- The entire attitude of the team, very cocky and immature. Win first, and then show some confidence.
- Lack of respect for the game.

That is coaching and in my opinion this shows a team without character and class. That starts at the top. The coach is new, learning and maybe he ought to look at some of the other class programs like UNC, FSU, and UVa. They know how to win and respect the game.

Totally agree.....extremely disappointing that the U of M Baseball Program would turn into a circus -- Take for example the U of M center fielder that caught the ball and then ran in and drilled it into the pitching mound. He got hammered when he came into pitch the next inning........or the constant arguing between the U of M first baseman and the umpire.....bad form and representation of college baseball.......or the coach running into a "dog pile" right before the game started.....embarrassing. Is this what was envisioned when Eric B. was hired??????????Surprised not to hear any voices out there about their apparent cocky attitude although not sure why since they have not won a ACC series yet this year.
Here's why they haven't won many ACC games.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/sc...cumulative-stats.pdf

The coaches can't hit it,pitch it or catch it for the players. I think its safe to say they are having a collectively poor statistical year to date. Other than the BC series (they should have won at least two games -that was disappointing) they have played the #1,#5 and #32 in RPI standings.

I know you are a Virginia guy and you have a beef with the head coach but other than Friday night I didn't think Virginia pounded the snot out of this really bad team as you insinuate they are!

To me some of the stuff is over the top but who cares about my opinion. I believe the coaching staff is trying to build a blue collar, hard nose attitude. As time goes by I am sure the staff will adjust to what makes sense and what doesn't make sense regarding on field demeanor.

This is a young staff with young players. They are working together to find their way. They will make mistakes but who doesn't.

I read your post about your experience with the head coach. As I see it he just lost a recruiting battle and was emotional. If he said something wrong ok, but haven't you ever made a mistake? When you did, do you want the people affected by your mistake to pound on you for years?

Let it go and go back and read your post about what a great experience your son is having at Virginia including how they have taken care of him during his injury. Forget posting about Bakich and use your post to sing the phases of Virginia.

Jezz, your son is not only playing in a great baseball program he is getting a world class education - focus on the positive and let us Maryland parents focus on the team by supporting the players and coaches.

Enough!
Last edited by nhmonty
Trepfan the least you can do is be honest with your information regarding Maryland. The pitcher got hammered?

Virginia 8th - Taylor, C. grounded out to 3b (0-0). Barr, J. grounded out to 3b (2-0 BB). Hicks, J. reached on a fielding error by ss (0-0). Levine, R. reached on a fielding error by 3b (0-0); Hicks, J. advanced to second. Proscia, S. singled to left field, RBI (1-0 B); Levine, R. advanced to second; Hicks, J. scored, unearned. Shifflett, M pinch ran for Levine, R.. Swab, K. singled to pitcher, RBI (1-0 B); Proscia, S. advanced to second; Shifflett,
M scored, unearned. King, J. pinch hit for Coleman, D.. King, J. singled up the middle, RBI (1-1 KB); Swab, K. advanced to second; Proscia, S. scored, unearned. Gragnani, R. struck out swinging (0-2 KFS). 3 runs, 3 hits, 2 errors, 2 LOB.

Let me see, four ground balls, two of them for errors that would have taken Maryland out of the inning. Then three singles, one of the infield variety. That's what you call getting hammered.

Sir, I pitched in college from 1970 to 1973 and believe me I know what getting hammered is. This isn't it.

Your making yourself look childish with your anger toward the head coach.
quote:
Originally posted by nhmonty:
Trepfan the least you can do is be honest with your information regarding Maryland. The pitcher got hammered?

Virginia 8th - Taylor, C. grounded out to 3b (0-0). Barr, J. grounded out to 3b (2-0 BB). Hicks, J. reached on a fielding error by ss (0-0). Levine, R. reached on a fielding error by 3b (0-0); Hicks, J. advanced to second. Proscia, S. singled to left field, RBI (1-0 B); Levine, R. advanced to second; Hicks, J. scored, unearned. Shifflett, M pinch ran for Levine, R.. Swab, K. singled to pitcher, RBI (1-0 B); Proscia, S. advanced to second; Shifflett,
M scored, unearned. King, J. pinch hit for Coleman, D.. King, J. singled up the middle, RBI (1-1 KB); Swab, K. advanced to second; Proscia, S. scored, unearned. Gragnani, R. struck out swinging (0-2 KFS). 3 runs, 3 hits, 2 errors, 2 LOB.

Let me see, four ground balls, two of them for errors that would have taken Maryland out of the inning. Then three singles, one of the infield variety. That's what you call getting hammered.

Sir, I pitched in college from 1970 to 1973 and believe me I know what getting hammered is. This isn't it.

Let's stay on topic -- U of M Baseball Team did not act with any degree of class and were an embarrassment -- Period.....that is fact. I am a U of M alumni and I have a child that attends U of M. I would like nothing more than the Baseball program to do well. That said -- as other in attendance have stated on this site --- the overall tone of the team from the top down was an embarrassment in terms of how they carried themselves ----
quote:
Originally posted by Trepfan:
Let's stay on topic..

As an unbiased observer, nhmonty was on topic. He was simply refuting what you stated - that the pitcher was shelled, by using facts.

I don't think anyone disagrees that UMd conducted themselves poorly. Nhmonty actually addressed it and asked to move on in one of the more reasonable posts in this thread.
Last edited by redbird5
quote:

No kidding. Even worse behavior, going on for years now, than some overly-amped UMD players trying to take down the ACC Goliath, and losing sight of sportsmanship in the process. And you're the adult, huh?

Seriously, DUDE. Get a life and some perspective. We all GET that you hate Bakich. NOBODY wants to read your comments anymore. I can virtually guarantee that nothing you say impacts Bakick in the least.

And your son has to be so proud---Daddy ripping on Bakich going on 3 years now, over some perceived slight from the 2008 recruiting cycle? You don't think the UVA players know this site, and roll their eyes at your posts?
Last comment for Trepfan and those concerned with Maryland player's on field attitude.

I didn't see last week but I was watching on TV, I did see the first baseman spike the ball toward the mound, didn't see the other stuff.

I was at the Texas and Army series. The only thing I saw that concerned me was some of the Maryland players stood on the Texas logo before the last game (that worked well for them - they got crushed). I have not seen any other cocky, disrepectful behavior - out of the ordinary stuff.

I will tell you (without detail) that some of the things that happened last weekend were addressed by the coaching staff - enough said.

Over the year's I preached to my son, do it on the field not with your mouth. No fist pumping, no watching HR's followed by the HR trot. Play hard and clean and respect the game. I see a player with their cap turned sideways I want to jump on the field or thru the TV and knock it off their head. Its a great game - respect it.
quote:
Originally posted by stepupandplay:
quote:

No kidding. Even worse behavior, going on for years now, than some overly-amped UMD players trying to take down the ACC Goliath, and losing sight of sportsmanship in the process. And you're the adult, huh?

Seriously, DUDE. Get a life and some perspective. We all GET that you hate Bakich. NOBODY wants to read your comments anymore. I can virtually guarantee that nothing you say impacts Bakick in the least.

And your son has to be so proud---Daddy ripping on Bakich going on 3 years now, over some perceived slight from the 2008 recruiting cycle? You don't think the UVA players know this site, and roll their eyes at your posts?

Last thing we need is affirmation of inappropriate behavior stemming from the top down.....stop making excuses for a systemic problem noted by many of the climate of the University of Maryland Baseball Team -
quote:
Originally posted by stepupandplay:
quote:

I agree with the above, you have made a fool out of yourself carrying on about something that happened with a coach years sgo, you should think about how this may affect your son.

I think we all know that Maryland has some issues. I think it's inappropriate to carry on especially when parents of that team are present here, you wouldn't like it if someone was here dogging your son's team or his coach or your player.

Your concern should be about YOUR player, not what others are doing or not doing. BTW, I sent you a pm regarding something that occurred a few years back an inappropriate behavior from a UVA player with the HC looking the other way while it happened. All coaches have some type of tricks going on, it's just that when they are our son's coaches and the team is winning, we tend to look the other way as whether it is good sportsmanship or not.

Keep in mind that while you don't care for Coach E, there are plenty of players out there that don't like O'Conner, or Martin, or Morris, or Leggett, or Hall and these are all ACC coaches that are truely some of the best in college baseball.

The above said is correct, whatever you say is NOT going to affect EB, but it might affect your player (more that you may realize).

I agree with Bear Eek, time to turn the page, also time to start acting like an ACC parent (before that time ends which could be at anytime).
Most have a bit more class than you have shown here.
Last edited by TPM
Somebody please jump up to let all know you were in attendance at Terpville on Saturday's shutout, and I might add it's been nearly 18 years since I witnessed a Terp W over FSU at Shipley.

Let simply say it marks the day that FSU Mike Martin is going to retire. (For those who remember!) Smile

As an omen, it must have been the hail at Terpville. I did not see any hail at Shipley on Sunday. Smile

Also got my picture taken on Rt 1 Sunday morning.
(I am hoping I was going 39 mph in a 30 speed limit trying to get to the ball park. *^&((%^% if 41 and an $80 College Park donation.
Last edited by Bear
quote:
IP

My son and I attended the game on Sunday. We both really enjoy college baseball. We also go to Navy games, and have gone to the college world series twice. I wish we could go to Omaha every year. It is a great time regardless of who is playing. Sunday was our first Terps game. We had a good time and met up with other hs players we new. I think we will be going to more Terps games in the future.
Welcome Polish...to the HSBBW!

Glad you enjoyed the game in College Park. I give the Terps credit, they may not win as much as everyone would like, but they are exciting to watch. My be my imagination, but it seems like they are reachng out more now to high school and youth programs than in the past. That might be Bernie's involvment, not sure.

Attending a Navy baseball game is a great afternoon also. A little more relaxed than Terp-ville, but a great after noon just the same.

Again, welcome!
First of all, you and your son are doing a very right thing...going to actually watch a college game. You would be surprised how many high school players (and their dads) automatically assume junior will play college ball without ever having even seen a game at that level. And...if they have seen a college game, it's only a D1 level game.

I would tell any high school player who has visions of playing at the next level to go see some games....D1, D3, JUCO, all levels. I think most will be surprised at how much bigger, faster, and stronger college players are - at all levels - than high school.

These days, to be a contributor to your high school varsity program is quite an athletic achievement. The number of HS players that go on to play in college (again, any level) is very, very small. And, its not always a skill issue....oftentimes, its a committment issue.

If you go to college and play a sport, you have two full-time jobs - 1) as a college student to get good grades; and 2) to develop your sport's skills to be a contributor to your team. It's a tough thing to manage.

Having said all that....it's a terrific dream. Playing at the college level is a great goal to have and, with the proper work and dedication...it can happen. Again....best of luck to you and your son - and welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by Trepfan:
Agree...it is "tone-at-the-top" Sort of reminds me when a recruit that was planning to visit Vandy for a official visit several years ago and decided prior to go and commit to another school. The kid advised Vandy to cancel the trip so as not to waste their time or money --- and the email sent by Eric B indicated that if he ever met the kid again he would "kick his ***" --- will he met the kid this past weekend at UVA-- and Eric B.'s lack of class email comment came back to haunt him.

Trepfan,

I got to hear another side of the story regarding a recruit and his Dad! Seems to me as if you have NOT become fully clean in this, and wish to spin it (and several times).

I am thinking about taking the high road here, but geez, it's Trepfan. What more can be said Smile

Let's just hope the young lad has better relief appearances next times out and to continue to gain confidence in his proven ability to miss bats!
Reasons for F Grade?

Most walks by team in Div 1 373 or 6.1 per game, can't win many with that stat. Pitching had a rough year, if it doesn't get better will be another tough year.

JC's brought in to help while freshman develop struggled (on average) for most of the year.

Freshman were inserted into line and had ups and downs (Charlie White was very consistent). On Sunday game at UNC they had eight freshman starting.

Young coaching staff, learning and will grow with players.

2011 expectations set higher than probably should have been.

Hopefully its better in 2012.
Dec. 8, 2011

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland baseball team has furthered a string of success on the recruiting trail with the signing of 12 student-athletes from the class of 2012, which was announced Thursday by head coach Erik Bakich.

The signing class consists of nine players that received preseason All-America honors from Perfect Game USA prior to their junior seasons, as well as four players ranked in the top 200 and seven in the top 500 nationally. Bakich and his staff continued to make signing top local players a priority - four of the signees are from Maryland - while also going into Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York for some of the regions most talented players.

"This recruiting class is one of the nation's elite and will accelerate Maryland baseball's goal of reaching the College World Series," said Bakich. "Our coaching staff did a tremendous job targeting the best players in the state and region. This class is dominant in pitching and defense and includes some explosive offensive players. We could not be more excited about the growth of our program."

The four signees ranked among the nation's top 200 according to Perfect Game are: No. 135 Jake Drossner (LHP | Richboro, Pa.), No. 138 Jared Price (RHP | Mohnton, Pa.), No. 142 Kyle Moore (OF | Suffolk, Va.) and No. 171 Alex Robinson (LHP | Brooklyn, N.Y.).

Drossner, Moore and Robinson also received 2011 preseason All-America honorable mention from Perfect Game, as did Brandon Casas (RHP | Pasadena, Md.), Jose Cuas (SS | Brooklyn, N.Y), Brandon Lowe (INF | Suffolk, Va.), Kevin Martir (C | Brooklyn, N.Y), Kevin Mooney (RHP | Forest Hill, Md.) and Connor Oliver (UTL | Churchton, Md.).

Several of the players are also ranked highly in their home states: Mooney is No. 2 in Maryland, Drossner is No. 3 in Pennsylvania, Robinson is No. 3 in New York, Moore is No. 4 in Virginia, Price is No. 4 in Pennsylvania, Martir is No. 10 in New York and Cuas is No. 21 in New York.

LaMonte Wade Jr., a left-handed outfielder from St. Paul HS in Owings Mills, Md., joins Casas (Gilman HS), Mooney (North Harford HS) and Oliver (DeMatha HS) to form a strong in-state contingent.

The Terps also signed one junior-college player in shortstop Blake Schmit (Des Moines Area CC | Eden Prairie, Minn.). Schmit was named the DII JUCO Defensive Player of the Year last season and helped lead Des Moines to the JUCO World Series.

The class is currently ranked 25th in the nation and sixth in the Atlantic Coast Conference by Perfect Game.

Class of 2012 Maryland Signees

Name Position Ht./Wt. School Hometown
Brandon Casas RHP 6-6/185 Gilman HS Pasadena, Md.
Jose Cuas SS 6-3/180 Grand Street Campus HS Brooklyn, N.Y.
Jake Drossner LHP 6-3/195 Council Rock North HS Richboro, Pa.
Brandon Lowe INF 5-10/165 Nansemond River HS Suffolk, Va.
Kevin Martir C 6-0/200 Xaverian HS Brooklyn, N.Y.
Kevin Mooney RHP 6-1/195 North Harford HS Forest Hill, Md.
Kyle Moore OF 6-0/185 Nansemond River HS Suffolk, Va.
Connor Oliver UTL 6-0/175 DeMatha HS Churchton, Md.
Jared Price RHP 6-2/190 Twin Valley HS Mohnton, Pa.
Alex Robinson LHP 6-3/220 Holy Trinity HS Hewlett, N.Y.
Blake Schmit SS 6-0/170 Des Moines Area CC Eden Prairie, Minn.
LaMonte Wade, Jr. OF 6-1/180 St. Paul HS Owings Mills, Md.

Brandon Casas | RHP | 6-6 | 185 | Gilman HS | Pasadena, Md.
2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America honorable mention ... helped lead Gilman to a state championship as a sophomore (2010), accumulating a 7-0 record on the mound ... named the top pitcher of the 2010 Lou Holcomb Crab Claw Classic Game ... plays summer ball with the prestigious Canes program ... also plays volleyball and basketball ... a member of the honor roll all three years of high school ... maintains a 3.7 GPA.

Jose Cuas | SS | 6-3 | 180 | Grand Street Campus HS | Brooklyn, N.Y.
A top-500 recruit nationally by Perfect Game ... ranked No. 21 overall in New York ... 2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America high honorable mention ... hit .620 with four home runs, 34 RBI, and 28 runs scored as a junior ... an invitee to the East Coast Pro Showcase and Area Code Games, which is reserved for nation's top talent ... summer team is the New York Grays.

Jake Drossner | LHP | 6-3 | 195 | Council Rock North HS | Richboro, Pa.
Ranked No. 3 overall in Pennsylvania and No. 135 nationally by Perfect Game ... went 6-0 with a 2.57 ERA as a junior for Council Rock, striking out 43 and allowing just 19 hits in 30 innings of work ... 2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America high honorable mention ... pitched in the 2011 USA Baseball Tournament of Stars ... an invitee to the East Coast Pro Showcase and Area Code Games ... played in the Little League World Series regional finals.

Brandon Lowe | INF | 5-10 | 165 | Nansemond River HS | Suffolk, Va.
2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America honorable mention ... hit .493 and scored 31 runs in 27 games as a junior at Nansemond River, as the Warriors made it to the state quarterfinals ... also helped lead Nansemond to a 20-8 record and a district championship ... has been the starting shortstop since his freshman season ... summer league team is Canes.

Kevin Martir | C | 6-0 | 200 | Grand Street Campus HS | Brooklyn, N.Y.
Ranked No. 10 in New York and No. 480 nationally by Perfect Game ... 2011 Perfect Game USApreseason All-America high honorable mention ... transferred to Grand Street Campus for upcoming senior year after spending last season at Xaverian High School ... helped lead Xaverian to the CHSAA Class AA city title as a junior ... plays for the New York Grays in the summer.

Kevin Mooney | RHP | 6-1 | 195 | North Harford HS | Forest Hill, Md.
Ranked as the top pitcher and No. 2 overall prospect in Maryland by Perfect Game ... ranked No. 494 nationally ... 2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America honorable mention ... went 7-1 with a 0.77 ERA and struck out 88 in 55 1/3 innings to lead North Harford to a 15-5 record as a junior ... was the only junior to be named first team by the Baltimore Sun in 2011, joining 10 seniors on the team ... a member of Team Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic Red Sox ... maintains a 4.1 GPA.

Kyle Moore | OF | 6-0 | 185 | Nansemond River HS | Suffolk, Va.
Ranked No. 4 overall in Virginia and No. 142 nationally by Perfect Game ... 2011 Perfect Game USApreseason All-America high honorable mention ... hit .346 with five home runs and 28 RBI as a junior ... helped lead Nansemond to a 20-8 record, a district championship and an appearance in the state quarterfinals last season ... plays summer ball with Canes.

Connor Oliver | INF/OF/RHP | 6-0 | 175 | DeMatha HS | Churchton, Md.
2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America honorable mention ... has helped lead DeMatha to two state titles ... named second team all-conference by the Gazette-Star as a junior, when he hit .355 with 19 RBI and 22 runs and helped DeMatha to a 25-8 record.

Jared Price | RHP | 6-2 | 190 | Twin Valley HS | Mohnton, Pa.
Ranked No. 4 overall in Pennsylvania and No. 138 nationally by Perfect Game... named to the All-Berks team as a junior after going 9-1 with a 2.55 ERA and 96 strikeouts in 71 1/3 innings ... also played infield and hit .344 with 16 stolen bases ... went 4-0 in the postseason for Twin Valley last season ... pitched in the 2011 USA Baseball Tournament of Stars ... an invitee to the East Coast Pro Showcase and Area Code Games ... maintains a 4.0 GPA.

Alex Robinson | LHP | 6-3 | 220 | Holy Trinity HS | Hewlett, N.Y.
Ranked No. 3 overall in New York and No. 171 nationally by Perfect Game ... 2011 Perfect Game USA preseason All-America honorable mention ... named a 2011 Preseason All-Star by Baseball Player Magazine as well as one of BPM's 100 players to watch for 2011 ... threw a no-hitter as a junior for Holy Trinity ... had 17 strikeouts in a game on two occasions, one of which was in the playoffs ... an invitee to the East Coast Pro Showcase and Area Code Games.

Blake Schmit | SS | 6-0 | 170 | Des Moines Area CC | Eden Prairie, Minn.
A junior-college standout at Des Moines who will have two years of eligibility remaining ... helped lead Des Moines to the DII Junior College World Series in 2011 ... named the DII JUCO Defensive Player of the Year after committing just four errors all season ... received a Rawlings Gold Glove Award, given to the best defensive player at his position nationally ... his legion team Eden Prairie won the Legion World Series last summer ... the American Legion Player of the Year.

LaMonte Wade Jr. | OF | 6-1 | 180 | St. Paul HS | Owings Mills, Md.
A left-handed outfielder that has been a member of the varsity team since his freshman season ... named to the Maryland State Association of Baseball Coaches 2011 preseason all-state team ... team captain as a junior ... selected to the 2010 All-MIAA first team as a sophomore after hitting .460 ... also plays varsity basketball ... summer league team is Canes ... an honor roll student and member of the National Honor Society.
Very good class for the Terps.

Moore and Lowe have played for me the last 5 years. Great kids and very solid players. Kyle is as talented as anyone in the program. Brandon just rakes.

2 other Canes players signed with Maryland - both VERY good.

We faced many of the kids on this list but Robinson is as dirty as they come. 6'3" LHP who throws from a low 3/4 release. Up to 92 against us. Absolutely filthy!
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Words I am hearing a very good arms may be
coming in the fall of 2012.

It is all relative:

Baseball America has released their 2011-2012 Recruiting Class rankings for the class that will be eligible for the start of the 2012 season. Leading the pack is the Vanderbilt Commodores which got a first round pick in Tyler Beede among other talented players to Nashville. The rest of the top five is filled out by Texas, Southern Miss, NC State, and Ole Miss.

You can check out the full top 25 compiled by Baseball America’s staff below.

1. Vanderbilt
2. Texas
3. Southern Mississippi
4. North Carolina State
5. Mississippi
6. South Carolina
7. Oregon State
8. Virginia
9. Oregon
10. Texas Christian
11. Southern California
12. Louisville
13. Oklahoma
14. Mississippi State
15. Florida
16. Pepperdine
17. Central Florida
18. Arizona
19. Fresno State
20. North Carolina
21. Georgia
22. Arkansas
23. Loyola Marymount
24. Alabama
25. San Diego State
The overall impact of the financial crisis with the Program and the current U of M Baseball facilities have dampened any short term relief in terms of recruitment of talent in comparison with other colleges in the conference. Except for Boston University, Maryland is situation north of all other ACC conference schools, and especially pitchers that happen to be "blue chip" usually do not typically look to play with those colleges located in the north. It is going to be uphill for the Maryland Program ----- no matter who the present head coach happens to be......

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.