Skip to main content

OK HSBBW parents...this is not a baseball question or political question but I know you Big 10/Iowa baseball parents must have some ideas...

There are only a few games this basketball season where parent's (or anyone) can attend for PTWooddaughter's games. Thursday they play Iowa at Iowa so we are hitting the road. Any suggestions on a great local place where we should eat??

Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@22and25 posted:

I have eaten both gas station tacos and burgers with good results.  I do draw the line at gas station sushi though😂

Two things you don’t go for the discount ... plastic surgery and sushi.

I had enough Mobil Mart lunches (cheap hot dogs and Coke) early in my professional career I won’t touch gas station food. However, in Maine the gas stores have decent wine and beer selections.

Last edited by RJM

Some good laughs in this thread! Caseys is a fine place for some pizza for a snack...absolutely not worth wasting a meal there when you can hit a variety of excellent other places. For those unaware Casey's actually makes the pizza on site and they are in some cases the ONLY place to get any hot food in a very small town or in a very rural area.

"gas station pizza"  might just be a firm pass for me.  Visited in-laws in FL over the summer and locals swear by a "gas station taco"  -  Once again firm pass for me

Just as a note--Casey's sells gas, but is much more than a gas station. These convenience stores are often the only local place to get groceries in small rural communities without driving half an hour to the next closest grocery. Some of them have pizza, others have delis, or donuts, some have all three. They're a fixture even in bigger towns. My town of 15,000 has five of them. Their pizza is delicious.

Our go-to place in Iowa City is the Vine. There are two--one on the athletic side of town that is a sports bar and one on the campus side of town that is more of a bar. You'll probably drive right by the sports bar one on the way to your game. It's sports bar food, lots of TVs, the atmosphere is fun. I also like the Wig and Pen for pizza. My son recommends the Airliner.

Iowa Power and Light is a restaurant right on the Iowa River. It's a nicer spot and the food is good.

I'm not familiar with the spots that Good Knight recommended.

i'm not a huge fan of the Amana colony food--usually family style, kind of heavy, and as I recall, not a lot of wine. But that's just me. Enjoy Iowa City. Bring a parka. It's currently 9.

Somewhere outside Ft Myers.  My wife takes pride in finding local dives on social media whether I agree or not.  Needless to say no English was spoken at the taco gas station and my Spanglish is very suspect.

Ft Myers....and tacos?  There is only one choice!   Yo! Taco.....right on the beach...it's a must when you visit FMB...............but wait, this doesn't help you in Iowa lol  Sorry

@Iowamom23 posted:

Just as a note--Casey's sells gas, but is much more than a gas station. These convenience stores are often the only local place to get groceries in small rural communities without driving half an hour to the next closest grocery. Some of them have pizza, others have delis, or donuts, some have all three. They're a fixture even in bigger towns. My town of 15,000 has five of them. Their pizza is delicious.

Casey's has finally made it's way to Ohio!   As mentioned, their pizza is great.  You can pick up a slice at a time just walking in.....but you really need to order one "made to order" to see how good it really is  

Found it online !!!

When the reviews are laced with warnings, but you still get 5 stars. That's how you know the food is legit

Reviews for Taco Vazquez II

August 2020

the food is very good & reminds me of authentic hispanic food stands back home in houston. obviously mistakes will happen at this place since it is small & inside of the convenient store. the food does take a little longer than i'd like but for the price, it is very hard to beat. some of my favorites are the al pastor (pork) & chorizo (mexican sausage) tacos, as well as the california burrito. (both with the spicy red sauce they give you)

May 2020

Yes this is in a gas station but that doesn't matter at all!! Best frkn Mexican food in Ft Myers by far!!! Forget all other so-called Mexican restaurants!! Order ahead so the long line won't bum you out!! Best rice and beans in town!! Best home made Mexican food this side of the southwest US!!!

The truck stop pictures bring back a memory from Ogallala, Nebraska. In our twenties a friend and I were cruising the country. We stopped at a big truck stop on I-80. We didn’t notice the “truckers only” sign over the counter and sat down. A few minutes later we were doing our own version of “Gimme Three Steps.”

@RJM posted:

The truck stop pictures bring back a memory from Ogallala, Nebraska. In our twenties a friend and I were cruising the country. We stopped at a big truck stop on I-80. We didn’t notice the “truckers only” sign over the counter and sat down. A few minutes later we were doing our own version of “Gimme Three Steps.”

Not a truck stop, in fact there are no big rigs allowed.  It’s a passenger car only stop.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.