Skip to main content

Garrido will be suspended for four games

Friday, January 23, 2009, 02:03 PM

Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido apologized this afternoon in the wake of his drunken-driving arrest, and his suspension will be for the first four games of the season.

Texas athletics director DeLoss Dodds said he stands behind Garrido. No other terms of the suspension were disclosed

“I know he will do the right thing, and I know he will do it with integrity, and I know he will do it with strength,” Dodds said.

Until today, Garrido’s suspension was described as indefinite.

“I made a serious mistake,” Garrido said. “I drank alcohol. I got behind the wheel of a car, and that’s a bad decision — a real bad decision. … I have violated, on my own with my decision, the mission of the university. I am solely responsible for that. This is not a reflection of the university.”

“I sincerely apologize,” the coach said. “It’s heartfelt. It’s honest.”

Garrido, who ranks as the winningest baseball coach in NCAA Division I history, noted that overcoming crisis and adversity is a key part of his mantra. “It’s what I teach the players,” he said, “and now I’m living it.”
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

At The Univ. of Texas Championships are more important than, what did Dodds say? Oh yes, "integrity".

Integrity went out the window at UT when Garrido kept his team in the clubhouse for the Championship award a few years back...Who did they lose to in that Championship game? Oh, yes, CS Fullerton, the school who overpaid him during his stay there, only to leave them mid-contract when he got the Texas job.

Was he in the living room of a recruit? Picture this...(sounding like Harry Caray) "We really want (hiccup) Jimmy to come play (burp) for the Horns"
I'm sure no one on this board has ever done what he did to get in trouble, and I'm sure no one would be tempted to coach at UT no-matter where you were coaching before (except MLB maybe, but heck I'd be tempted). If he has a real problem, hopefully this will lead him to get help and get it fixed. If it's a one time thing, well thank God no one got hurt and I'd like to think it'll keep him from doing it again.
quote:
Originally posted by Good-eye:
UT baseball coach Garrido apologizes, will miss first four games!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/college...outbase.402fc88.html

I hope he's got a designated driver for his nights off and a warm shower before his first game back......

No but on a serious note. He made a huge mistake and he apologized. Im sure in a few months no one will even remember it. He is an historically great coach and will change his problems.
Sorry, but this is not excusable. He has been coaching 40 yers and has not figured it out. He is THE center of 30+ young mens lives year in and year out and that he ignored his responsibility is not deserving of the job at UT or anywhere else for that matter.

Tiger, this is not about us, it is about one of the top baseball jobs in the country, and the leader dropped the ball, plain and simple.

WHAT IF he had hit and killed your mom/dad/brother/sister, or heaven forbid, one of the his players out on the town? Then what? 6 games?

For those of you who feel this was a one time occurence, the only thing one-time about this is that he got caught. Check with the bar owners in Fullerton and the story will become much more clear.
bb- I definitely understand what you are saying, and I agree. My post was more concerning how people are blasting him for being so irresponsible (which it definitely was) when there is a chance they have done similar things. It seems to be too easy for people to sit back and insult other people when they aren't the ones getting caught. And I'm not accusing anyone of anything here (want to make that clear), but on a broad general basis, everyone makes mistakes, lots of people make awful mistakes. Some pay for those mistakes, some get away with it. I grooved a fastball to a catcher at UT once, but I got away with it Big Grin. (some not-so-comic relief)

I understand your hypothetical--it could've been much worse. But the fact is it wasn't (thank God), and moving forward the best of this situation must be made.

He brought a level of embarrassment to the program and I know some kids hate to hear the bashing of their own coach (I think they might feel somewhat insulted) even tho they understand what he did was wrong.

I do think the punishment is weak, but like I said, I'd like for him especially to focus on how to make the best of this in every way possible.
Last edited by Dtiger
Today at the University of Florida they dealt much more severely with a senior starting pitcher for the exact same offense. What a shame when a 22 year old loses his senior season, but a 70 year old head coach receives a slap on the wrist. Here's the story from the Tampa Tribune...

"LOCKE OUT: The Gator baseball career of Tampa pitcher Stephen Locke has come to an abrupt end. Florida officials said Monday that Locke is no longer with the team after his arrest early Saturday on charges of DUI. Locke was released on his own recognizance and ordered not to drink or drive until at least his next, yet-to-be scheduled court date.

He had 12 starts for the Gators last season, second on the team. He was 5-2 with a 3.17 ERA in a career-high 21 appearances. He struck out 46 batters and allowed just 13 walks in 821/3 innings. He had the Gators' lowest ERA in SEC play (2.91)."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.