Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Hoyas still play in Rockville at the field used by the Bethesda Big Train of the CR summer league in the summer-- a good 25 minute drive from the campus (with no traffic).

We visited last recruiting season. At that time the off-season hitting place ("cage") was outside -- a bit of a challenge on the few days it's cold in Washington, D.C. I think the pitchers can throw indoors in the off-season - though there was not a special spot set aside for the team indoors.

Basketball is the focus of mens sports; baseball is a very, very distant relative. While the program is trying to improve and have some very good coaches, the Hoyas are non-competitive in the Big East baseball world.

I do not think that their program is fully funded and at 55k per year with the academic requirements of a top university (although those requirements do not apply to basketball) the recruiting pool available to the Hoyas is not large.
My son is currently a senior on the Gtown baseball team so I will correct what has been said here.
Justakid is not totally correct, Georgetown baseball team started giving out 5 baseball scholarships in 2006. From that point they gave a total of 5 per year and were planning to increase amount by 3 to a total of 8. The NCAA sanction states that that the team will be limited to the 5 original scholarships as part of a SELF-IMPOSED penalty until 2012, also, they CAN participate in any post season play.
Also to LHPMom2012 it was definitly NOT an "Everyone does it"attitude. When this problem was brought to the attention of the GU baseball program THE SCHOOL ITSELF reported the violation to the NCAA. This was the first time in history this ever happened to and sports program at Georgetown.It in no way benefited the program.Finally with the addition of scholarship players starting in 2006 Georgetown baseball has become much more competitive on the Hilltop in these last few years! Also the team had two players taken in the MLB draft last year.
I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have 7steps
Eric G, as far as I know they will go to 8 full scholarships in 2012 as planned.

LHPMom2012, You are correct in that the asst coach involved is no longer with the program. My question is how do you know what he "told the kids"? is your son a player past or present on the team? Why the bitterness, did your son not get accepted to the school? How did he hear this? Doesn't sound like something a coach would make common knowledge do you think?

Redbird5, Great kids all with bright future, baseball or not. Coaching has been consistant over the last 10 years with same head coach which is rare these days. Teams have consistantly improved each of the last four years. This year should be a very competitive one to say the least,team lost six Big East games last year by one run. Good pitching, great hitting and great fielding. Your son should definitly attend Junior day he will really enjoy.
Glad to see this Hoya situation getting clarified on this board.

Having worked on a college campus for many years, let me tell you, WS jobs are often 'lightly' supervised. Getting hours signed off on that may or may not have been fulfilled is seen by many to be just 'how it works' and one of the perks of the flexible nature of WS. Not saying that is good, just saying that's how it goes.

I was also head of this DI school's admissions staff when a sport (not baseball) self reported an NCAA violation. Self reporting is the right thing to do, and yes it had consequences, including an impact on recruiting. But doing so clearly set a GOOD example for the kids. The school and coaches owned up to violations, and moved on, as GTown is going now.

As the mom of a 2014 Hoya (not an athlete...) I am excited to hear that the team is boosting its scholly money ...maybe little bro can join his sis there!!! He looks good in blue and grey, and his nickname is "G" so the t-shirt works great! So I'll follow the Hoya conversations more. Smile

Happy New year all ....
Thanks Spider59! As to Goosegg's point, the team play in Rockville, MD which is about 15 minutes from GU, home field of the Bethesda Big-Train of the Cal Ripkin summer league. The field is always in great condition,capacity of about 1500+. Not going to lie it would be great to have it on campus and I think it does somewhat hurt recruiting but we have seen fields at some campuses that are in pretty shabby condition, so I guess it's a trade off. The team has a very loyal alumni fan base and also a very loyal student base that make games lots of fun and very vocal! Field is called Shirly Povich Field if you want to view a ***. Today is first official day of practice! Go Hoyas!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.