Skip to main content

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster. College senior plays at a mid-major D1, is a student of the game, and values feedback to help improve his game. He has never been drafted and has begun to get some recognition for his skills (2016 NECBL Summer Allstar and a Top 30 Prospect; Junior Year First Team All Conference and Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year and NCAA top 32 toughest to strikeout; 2017 Cape Cod Summer Baseball League Allstar and top 10 CCBL regular season batting average - a consistent contact hitter). He has not been considered a "top prospect" (did not make the Top 200 CCBL Prospect list or other broadly publicized prospect lists) and would love to get scout feedback in order to improve his game. Is it possible to get specific scout feedback? Do you have to have an advisor to get specific feedback? Other thoughts?

He plans to use this year to refine his game, in pursuit of his dream, and is willing to hear the feedback in order to improve.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and offer your ideas and comments. 

Gratefully, From a Mom whose son calls her "Coach". 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, there are others who can better address your question, but before it goes too far down the page, I thought I'd throw out something anyway...  

Your son's mid-major D1 coach is most likely in tune to who the area scouts are.  Son can ask him for an intro or at least a connection.  Scouts should be happy to take a look and offer up suggestions with a player like this.  If coach isn't in the loop, son can just look up the area scout teams or inquire with the better travel organizations in the area.  

Nice college career so far!  Congrats to him... and to you 

My experience is that the majority of MLB scouts like to remain incognito and are reluctant to give pointers. They are there to do a job and don't like distractions, especially from parents. Agents/advisors usually have a good relationship with hc or ac.  Many are ex ball players who may have played some minor league ball.  Often these advisors know instructors who work with their contracted players during MLB off season. Might cost some $$ though. Sounds like he had a good showing at the Cape, very important. I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted in next year MLB draft. Being a Sr though will be a disadvantage.  Good luck

Trust In Him posted:

My experience is that the majority of MLB scouts like to remain incognito and are reluctant to give pointers. They are there to do a job and don't like distractions, especially from parents. Agents/advisors usually have a good relationship with hc or ac.  Many are ex ball players who may have played some minor league ball.  Often these advisors know instructors who work with their contracted players during MLB off season. Might cost some $$ though. Sounds like he had a good showing at the Cape, very important. I wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted in next year MLB draft. Being a Sr though will be a disadvantage.  Good luck

Sorry, just curious - why is being a Senior a disadvantage?  Is it because most college players are taken earlier, so conventional wisdom is that if you've not been drafted yet you must not be a true prospect?  

Qhead posted:
Trust In Him posted:

Sorry, just curious - why is being a Senior a disadvantage?  Is it because most college players are taken earlier, so conventional wisdom is that if you've not been drafted yet you must not be a true prospect?  

Purely from a financial point. Look back at the recent MLB drafts, what year in school, and how much of a signing bonus they received.  Top $$ went to high school players, then college Jrs or soph who are 21 yrs old, and last the Srs.  Srs have nowhere else to go, they used up NCAA elig thus no incentive not to sign.   For example, a range of 20 picks (excluding a specific round for this example), let's say $200K - $300K they signed.  Look at the Sr in this group.  Probably $5K - 10K they signed, even if drafted a few picks higher.  Big picture is yes they will have opportunity to play at next level but they won't get comparable $$ bonus.  Comes down to MLB doesnt have to convince the others not to go or continue college. Plus Srs are 22/23 yrs old.  Some years in minors age is up there. They want 20-24 ready to join the majors if talent is there. Overall picture is how old, projection/probability and how fast to move up. 

Trust In Him posted:
Qhead posted:
Trust In Him posted:

Purely from a financial point. Look back at the recent MLB drafts, what year in school, and how much of a signing bonus they received.  Top $$ went to high school players, then college Jrs or soph who are 21 yrs old, and last the Srs.  Srs have nowhere else to go, they used up NCAA elig thus no incentive not to sign.   For example, a range of 20 picks (excluding a specific round for this example), let's say $200K - $300K they signed.  Look at the Sr in this group.  Probably $5K - 10K they signed, even if drafted a few picks higher.  Big picture is yes they will have opportunity to play at next level but they won't get comparable $$ bonus.  Comes down to MLB doesnt have to convince the others not to go or continue college. Plus Srs are 22/23 yrs old.  Some years in minors age is up there. They want 20-24 ready to join the majors if talent is there. Overall picture is how old, projection/probability and how fast to move up. 

Got it. Good analysis!

Trust In Him posted:

Plus 1.  This is good advice.

Trust in Him & adbono have it right! Pay close attention & heed their words & advice. Son was a Sr sign, got very little $$'s. Moved up quickly (not the norm), got lucky, made MLB debut in 3 yrs. But staying there (on 40 man roster) & avoiding injury are tough at best! Keep it ALL in perspective! It ain't exactly a picnic, folks! But certainly better than a poke in the eye. Lol

KG posted:

Gratefully, From a Mom whose son calls her "Coach". 

That's too funny because mine calls me the same...lol.

I think KG's son is the perfect example of how teams do recognize that there are a lot of good seniors out there. As is the case for baseballmoms son, and justbaseballs sons and a lot of players we aren't all aware of.

Best of luck to your son, enjoy the ride, "Coach".

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.