Skip to main content

Son is signed with a D1 school. Going on our official visit.  

How do you experienced parents feel about giving small gifts to some of the coaches during the official visit as a way to say thanks?

We don’t want to do anything unethical or put anyone in an uncomfortable position and I’m uncertain if there is an unspoken rule about this of if this is even allowed.

Please share your thoughts. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don’t know if I’ve seen this question asked before.  I try to put myself in the other person’s shoes.  How would I feel?  Is it merely a sign of gratitude or is it a quid pro quo to try and get someone a leg up with the coaches next fall?  It seems awkward at best.  Some coaches may accept it as a sign of gratitude and nothing more.  It has the potential to plant a seed of manipulation in their minds.  Not saying it will but it crossed my mind so it may cross theirs.  I like the old fashioned way of expressing gratitude.  Thank you coaches for inviting us here today and thank you for the opportunity.

Last edited by ClevelandDad

I cooked a meal for the coach's family when he had a new baby.  I did it discretely.  Son was a already a junior and playing time was not an issue.  Coach (and his wife) was very appreciative.

I would stay away from gift giving, even though the thought is nice.

I didn't even give a gift to son's travel coaches.  I gave gift certificates for a pedicure to their wives however!

@CADad949 posted:

Son is signed with a D1 school. Going on our official visit.  

How do you experienced parents feel about giving small gifts to some of the coaches during the official visit as a way to say thanks?

We don’t want to do anything unethical or put anyone in an uncomfortable position and I’m uncertain if there is an unspoken rule about this of if this is even allowed.

Please share your thoughts. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Technically your son is not a member of the team so it might be unethical to give anything.

Your son can send a card to entire staff for the holidays.

Congratulations to your son!

Last edited by TPM
@Consultant posted:

Cal dad,

why the visit if he has already committed? Watch fall practice to observe the coaches. Can your son adjust to their coaching system. Be careful.

Bob

@Consultant  My son's school did an "official visit weekend" with all the committed players and their families.  Only 24 hours, but started with a Mexican food tailgate, football game, dinner after the game at a restaurant, committed players stayed with current players for the night, then a brunch in the morning.  It was a good way for the parents to meet as well as the players.  This was a D1 mid major.

@CADad949 posted:

This is what we are doing as well. Seven signed players and their families, all visiting for the weekend. Sharing meals and experiences. The whole weekend is filled with team related activities.

Thank you everyone for the input and kind words.

It seems that you have been advised well on this topic. But I will reiterate - it would be inappropriate to give a gift to a college coach. Regardless of the legality issue, it would just be very bad form.

I also plan on getting my son's coach a gift AFTER he graduates.  We gave his hs football coach a framed pic of them together at senior night and I think we gave doordash cards to the baseball coach (hs) after his wife had a baby midseason and he had to feed his other kids...I dont think Id otherwise give a college coach a gift while the kid was still playing

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.