Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Everyday Dad:

Never played for him directly but did get coached by members of his coaching tree
A legend in Illinois HS baseball
RIP coach

A legend everywhere really.  But to we Joliet natives I can't even describe how important he was to the 'city of champions'.  I was spoiled growing up in joliet and coaching at joliet catholic and providence catholic.  Then I moved away and realized in other towns kids are NOT drafted every year routinely.  When people up here ask me what's the difference the name Gordie Gillespie always is my first response.  You are right he built a coaching tree that was nothing short of amazing.  I am honored to be a small part of that tree.  Once I asked Gordie about the winning is everything idea and he gave me my favorite quote of all time...

"winning isn't everything but making the effort to win is"
-- Gordie Gillespie    R.I.P.
Originally Posted by Everyday Dad:

Great article by Ryan.  Good to see all the Quigley kids doing so well.  Seems like yesterday I was sitting in his living room when he was a year old watching his dad throwing nerf balls at him trying to teach him how to catch.  Ryan's mom was arguably the best female athlete in the history of Joliet.  She subbed for our softball team a couple times when we were caught short a guy.  Teams that didn't know her would kind of snicker then she would go 2 for 3 and play flawless in the field.  And his dad was not only a great athlete and later coach but one of the finest human beings you could ever know.  His life was cut short tragically at the age of 34 by the hand of cancer.  Never drank or smoked ate healthy and remained an in shape great athlete.  Life is so unfair.  I visited him the night before he died.  I was so nervous I had to call another mutual friend to go with me.  I had no idea what to say or do.  What do you say to a friend who by this time you knew would not recover?  And in typical quigs fashion as only he could do he made us feel comfortable.   He was the one laying there dying and yet he was the most optimistic and upbeat person in the room.  Laughing about old times and yet still talking about the future.  Pat Quigley was also a Joliet icon.  Ryan wrote such a nice piece about Gordie...  Just thought a few people should know the story of his dad.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.