Skip to main content

If anyone can help me out with this one I would appreciate it. I had a player get an email from the USA Baseball National Team Identification Series. In the email it is described as "It's a two day evaluation, individual skills, game situation, special testing, lots of exposure and an educational program for players and parents. Headed up by former National Team Coach Peter Caliendo".

I was wondering if anyone has any information on this? I know that as a coach I have received info from this group but just deleted it.

Please let me know what you think and if it worth my player's parent paying the money for it.

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by wander:
If anyone can help me out with this one I would appreciate it. I had a player get an email from the USA Baseball National Team Identification Series. In the email it is described as "It's a two day evaluation, individual skills, game situation, special testing, lots of exposure and an educational program for players and parents. Headed up by former National Team Coach Peter Caliendo".

I was wondering if anyone has any information on this? I know that as a coach I have received info from this group but just deleted it.

Please let me know what you think and if it worth my player's parent paying the money for it.

Thanks!

2013 Just received this invite so I did a search on this site. Some good and some bad opinions.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Have been selected to play for this team following this tryout the past two years. If your son is selected you will be attending an incredible event in North Carolina. Top level talent, top facilities, top exposure, and some of the best coaches around the country. Even if your son does not make the team, he is still able to see where he stacks up against some of the regions best talent and get a great professional style workout/ scrimmage with USA staff and evaluators.
quote:
Originally posted by Rockford Baseball Mom:
quote:
Originally posted by 2bagger:
Thought Pete was running a team in Italy

Hmmmm . . . his name is on the email received today . . .

That could be however the Daily Herald recently ran a story about Pete and much of it had to do with a team in italy, hey maybe he is doing both he is a very motivated and dedicated baseball guy.

My comment was not a knock on Pete in any way if your son has a chance to play for him I am sure he would learn plenty about the game.

Let us know about the next letter you receive.
I have coached on Pete's NTIS staff for all three years that the programs has existed. It is my favorite baseball weekend of the year . . . first class all the way around.

What you have to understand is that only 18 players are chosen from each age group in each region. That means that we only take 54 (18 for each of the 3 ages) total players from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin.

There are plenty of good players that get passed up because of depth at a position, body language, and any number of other factors. Only the best of the best get to be a part of this.

I will be the first to admit that our teams could be even stronger, but I guess that comes with the skepticism that some have about a wonderful thing.
My skepticism NelsonGord? I always ask the price when I see the trips to europe to play baseball, great time, yes I am sure it is, great exposure to play at the next level, nope sorry I doubt that.

I guess I could get even more sketical when I watch this game continue to draft player becasue there dads are vp for major league team, all the hile watching players that should have had a chance get skipped for these player.

When it comes to spending money to play on some of these teams I would always question it, some are worth it some are not.
2bagger,

Pete's international trips are something completely different than the Great Lakes Regional Team that is being questioned. This event is run through USA Baseball which is supported and recieves its funding from the National Government so I hope that clears up that legitimacy. As far as exposure, while participating in this event last fall I would say I saw close to a hundred scouts and recruiters at the various games and workouts ranging from the best of the best in schools like Arizona State and Stanford all the way to smaller Junior Colleges and local Division 3 schools.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.