Skip to main content

@roothog66 posted:

I smile when I read posts like this - hell, I almost cry. How satisfying it must be to experience that kind of moment. Most of us here just think, "maybe one day." You're truly blessed with good kids who were also great ball player, but I assume you know that.

I thank you for your post. We have been fortunate to have really great memories. I also have been fortunate to know Prepster for many years.

My post was in reply to his post.  Our sons have been in the same place at the same time when in college,  in Omaha, and at the ACC tourney in Jax, where I finally met Clayton Woodard.

Anyone who doesn't know his son, Robert Woodard,  should do a search. 

A great part of this is that our sons have become friends. They have spent many hours talking baseball during tournies. Ironically, their teams were to meet up this year once again, in CUSA conference play.

That damn COVID got in the way.

@TPM posted:

I thank you for your post. We have been fortunate to have really great memories. I also have been fortunate to know Prepster for many years.

My post was in reply to his post.  Our sons have been in the same place at the same time when in college,  in Omaha, and at the ACC tourney in Jax, where I finally met Clayton Woodard.

Anyone who doesn't know his son, Robert Woodard,  should do a search. 

A great part of this is that our sons have become friends. They have spent many hours talking baseball during tournies. Ironically, their teams were to meet up this year once again, in CUSA conference play.

That damn COVID got in the way.

This post, to me, perfectly describes the beauty of HSBBW. Except for the part about COVID. 

I attended Marquette University playing @Saint Bonaventure University in Basketball at Rochester (neutral site) in 1980. I remember watching a guard from Marquette shred through the Bonnies defense. Though may may have though this electric guard would have a great NBA career, who would have thought that Glenn Doc Rivers would coach a championship team in 2008 with the Celtics. 

In a deja vous, that same basketball season, I would watch another future Celtics great run a similar coast to coast play in an NCAA tourney game on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIIJNXysG8

Hey and I definitely can't forget this great moment I witnessed. Special too as it was a father-son event. In a spur of the moment, two days before the game I secured tickets and made flight reservations for a NLCS playoff game. With little notice RipkenFanSon had to take a train from Providence to home, so we could flyout to Chicago. We went to Wrigley Field in October 2016 in the hopes that the Cubs would close out the Dodgers and not need a seventh game sending them to the World Series for the first time since 1945.  Tickets were better than I expected (about 15 rows from field, RF).  We didn't want to leave the field..such a celebration. Crowded L-station heading back to hotel. Such exuberation (pre-"social distancing.").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQiqptj4oDI

here's one I wasn't there for but that I have indelible memories of.  1975.  I was 5. we had recently moved from the flatlands in Honolulu up to a rental house in one of the  nearby valleys.  back then, tv signals were all through the air so, if you weren't in an area where you could get a signal, you had to get an aerial antennae on top of your house. we couldn't afford one at the time so we didn't have a TV. My dad, being a huge baseball fan, convinced my mom to go shopping at the huge mall (ala moana for those who are familiar) where he and I plopped ourselves in front of the TVs in the Sears basement for hours as game 6 (Game 6!!) of the World Series played out in front of us on twenty screens.  5 hours behind east coast time, we watched in sears (with popcorn from the nearby snackbar that Sears had) as Pudge willed the ball to stay fair and force a game 7

@RJM posted:

This is my favorite. You don’t have to have a great NBA career to have a great NCAA moment.

https://youtu.be/pHceOvR464s

The game ended late. After going nuts I heard, very sarcastically from upstairs. “I’m guessing they won. Now go comfort your kids. You scared the hell out of them.” They were 7 and 2 at the time.

And when he couldn't go after trying to start the Championship game with a bad ankle, I just assumed we (Arkansas) were about to roll to a second straight NC. But...nah.

4/30/90 Infamous incident immortalized in irreverent Tank McNamara comic is the first that comes to mind. I attended many IBM classes in the mid 80s to early 90s and my evenings were spent at Fulton County Stadium whenever the Braves were in town. One of the many games I saw was the night David Cone argued what should have been the third out to end the inning. Instead, time was not called and two Braves' runners continued rounding the bases and scored.

Tank McNamara Cone

Another significant game was 9/11/91 when three Braves pitchers, Kent Merker, Mark Wholers and Alejandro Pena combined for a no hitter. Reading the game reports prove my memory isn't very good. I could have sworn that I heard during the game radio broadcast that Merker was pulled because of a pitch count limit after a recent injury. He pitched 6 innings.

My personal favorite involved the Braves again. This time it was just last year. It was not a win for them this time.

Short Version (a few clips)

Long version  (I particularly liked the post game interview)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Tank McNamara Cone
Last edited by TMM_Dad

1975 Montreal Canadiens v. Red Army on New Year's eve. Ended in a 3-3 tie. Some consider it the best game ever played.

The Forum was a magical place to watch a game, and the Habs were the equivalent of the 27 Yankees at that time, while Red Army was a collection of the best players in the Soviet Union, who were billeted in a camp year round, away from their families, training nothing but hockey. Gives me chills just to think about it.

Watertown, South Dakota, I am in the batters box 60'6' from Mr. Bob Gibson. When he threw his "warm up" pitches I could not see the ball [a blur]. I decide to hit by sound.

After removing the back line in the batters box, I was hitting from the "backstop". Placing my bat in front of the projected fastball, I "prayed" for a contact and the ball struck the 34" wood bat and disappeared over the RF fence. 7 rbi's that night. "TRUE STORY"!!!

Bob

Last edited by Consultant

Today, I thought for a minute that the following was a great moment.

I was listening to a podcast with Archie Bradley and missed a bit of his story's preface. He was talking about hitting a triple when he was a relief pitcher.  I remembered a game in San Diego where I thought he hit a triple and drove in a couple of runners that were TMM's responsibility. Since the CF mis-played the ball the scorer gave Bradley a single and charged Tim only one ER. Archie looked like he needed oxygen and more after the play.

It turns out that he was just preparing for his real, record setting 2 RBI triple by a relief pitcher in a play-off game a couple of weeks later.

Hope this qualifies. I had to return home early with my oldest son from a family vacation but my wife and two younger kids had some time to kill in Seattle so I ordered tickets for a Mariners game for them. 8/15/2012.  Boys were 12 and 9.  

During the game, I get a text from my wife: Kirk says Felix is throwing a no-hitter.

Me: Really? Cool.

Her: Wait...now he says it's a perfect game, whatever that is.

Me: What inning is it?

Her: 7th. Top.  Every time there's an out people are going nuts. (roar in background). Hear that? Is this a big deal?

Me: Uh, yeah, it's a big deal. Perfect games hardly ever happen.  It basically means no one on the Mariners has made a mistake. Not Felix. Not the fielders.  No one on the other team gets on base. At all. We probably jinxed it by talking about it.

Her: What?

Me: Never mind. Give the phone to Kirk, please.

I listen to a garbled play by play from Kirk, punctuated by a cheering crowd.  Game ends on a K looking, perfect game done.  Wife is back on the phone, says, "Wow, people are really excited.  This old guy next to us was actually keeping score. I think he's crying.  He told Kirk he's waited 65 years for this."

Me: It's kind of a big deal.

Last edited by smokeminside

Game 5 Monday October 27 and Wednesday the 29th 2008 - Phillies WS win! An epic 48 hour window that included a sons birthday on the 28th in between game nights. Funny side note he is still pissed at me to this day for taking my father and not him to that game!! One of our favorite family discussions to annoy him!

Close 2nd was other sons team win 6A state championship his SR year. He was solid kid would have been a starter on many teams, on that squad he was a chief bench squad leader and bullpen catcher. He embraced it, the team with 14 seniors gelled and they all had an amazing ride. The bench on the team would have been a .500 squad. Very proud moment to see your son embrace a role he doesn't want and ultimately have an incredible spring. I still look at the banner in the gym every time I walk in it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.