Skip to main content

Hardin Valley Academy

WINCHESTER, Va. (June 8, 2008)- Shenandoah University Head Baseball Coach Kevin Anderson announced Monday that assistant coach Kirk Renegar has resigned.

Renegar has been with the program for the past four years, including the past two as Anderson’s full-time assistant and recruiting coordinator.

The Stuart, Virginia native, who earned his Master’s Degree at Shenandoah in 2006, is leaving to become the head baseball coach at Hardin Valley Academy in Knoxville, Tennessee.

“Kirk has done a great job for me the past five years in helping me and the rest of the staff get this program back on its feet,” Anderson said.

“He has been a tireless recruiter, has done a super job with our kids off the field mentoring them academically and was a first-rate on-field coach.

“I am sure he is going to do a great job with his high school position.”

Renegar, who arrived just after Anderson completed his first season in Winchester, helped the Hornets to 95 wins in the past four seasons. The roster increased in size from 18 to more than 50 and the team GPA improved by more than one full-point.

This past year, a program-record 16 members of the team earned USA South Conference Academic All-Conference honors.

“I really appreciate the opportunity that Kevin and Shenandoah University gave me,” Renegar said. “I will have nothing but fond memories of my time here and I wish everybody in the department all the success in the future.”

Anderson stated that he, along with Athletics Director John Hill, will conduct a national search for Renegar’s replacement.

“I have a couple of people that I have already spoken to about the position,” Anderson commented. “I would like to have someone in place in the next month or so. This is an important time for us recruiting-wise.”
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hardin Valley baseball is officially on the map
Hawks win District 3-AAA championship

Chris Bray - Thu, May, 12, 2011

Head coach Kirk Reneger received a championship drenching from his players in front of a loud and populous crowd at Powell High School after his Hawks (20-13, 10-6) beat the Oak Ridge Wildcats 8-6 for its first ever District 3-AAA Championship.

Senior Nathan Richardson pitched 4 solid innings to record the win for the Hawks in relief of starter Joey Covell.

“Nathan Richardson came in when things were shaky early and gave us a chance to win the baseball game,’ said Reneger.

Richardson, not used to the role of middle reliever, was a bit shaky himself.

For the complete story, see our May 19 edition.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2...r-hardin-valley-4-1/

quote:
Hardin Valley Academy continued its amazing ascension in District 3-AAA baseball Thursday night.

The visiting Hawks, in just their fourth season of varsity baseball, won their second 3-AAA tournament title in a row with a 4-1 victory over Halls.

Don't look for Hardin Valley to go away anytime soon.

Hard-throwing freshman pitcher Will Neely went the distance for the Hawks (23-12), striking out seven, walking four and allowing just five hits.

"It was an important spot to put a freshman in, and he answered the bell," said HVA coach Kirk Renegar.

The Hawks entertain Bearden in Monday's Region 2 semifinals. Halls (25-6) has the unenviable task of playing at four-time defending state champion Farragut.

Monday's semifinal winners advance to Wednesday's regional finals and qualify for the state sectionals.

While a freshman led the way for the Hawks against Halls, Renegar said the program's rapid rise can be traced to an outstanding senior class that took its lumps early in their careers.

"It's a tremendous testimony to our senior class," said Renegar.

"The seniors were part of a 4-29 club that first year. They've built something special."

The Hawks broke open a scoreless game with three runs in the top of the fourth inning.

Pinch hitter Zach Sears chased home the first run with a bases-loaded single by shortstop.

Anthony Gambuzza then knocked in two runs with a single between first and second bases.

Halls manufactured a run in the fifth after Aaron Hardy singled and eventually scored on an error, but the Red Devils

stranded two base runners in the inning.

Gambuzza added an RBI single over third base in the sixth inning, scoring Ian Pung from second to make it 4-1.

After retiring Thomas Corcione on a line drive for the game's final out, Neely was mobbed by his teammates on the mound.

"I feel fine, except for my face," said the dirt-covered Neely with a laugh.

"I think I was on tonight. It feels great."

Neely, who said he has been clocked as high as 87 mph, provided the Hawks with their fourth complete game by a pitcher in the tournament.

"We had some tremendous pitching, and it's also a testament to our defense," said Renegar.

The Hawks will try and take another step by winning Monday's regional.

"Bearden will be a heck of a challenge," said Renegar.

"They're a tremendous ball team with a great tradition. We're looking forward to competing with them."

Mike Blackerby is a freelance contributor.

Hardin Valley edges Powell for district baseball title, 5-4

May 8, 2013 

The Hardin Valley Academy baseball team captured the District 3-AAA tournament for the third consecutive season with a 5-4 win Wednesday over Powell.

The Hawks’ next step: winning a Region 2-AAA tournament game.

They’ll play host to District 4-AAA runner-up Catholic on Monday in a region semifinal, which is an elimination game.

Hardin Valley has lost in that round the past two seasons: Bearden (2012), Farragut (2011).

The Hawks took a 5-2 lead after five innings Wednesday. That fifth-and-final run in the fifth proved clutch, as Powell scored two in the top of the seventh.

A wild pitch plated the decisive run.

Will Neely got the save. He also had two hits and an RBI. Sully Smoak and Vinny Gambuzza each had two hits for Hardin Valley.

Powell will play at District 4-AAA champion Farragut on Monday.

HVA knocks off Farragut 4 to 3 on March 12th.

Talking about leaving a high school program in a great situation ... former Head Coach Kirk Renegar had another great opportunity that presented itself to him last year and after another successful year in HVA baseball in 2013 ... he decided the opportunity was the best for his family and made a decision to leave a program that he started from ground zero that was built upon the commitment of the HVA baseball staff, student-athletes, HVA admin's, parents and community support.

Hardin Valley Academy cracks Perfect Game Top 50 this week while coming in at 49.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Art...ew.aspx?article=9602

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.