Skip to main content

We've only watched one other Individual PG Showcase and the Umps were not being taught/trained. During a recent showcase the entire Ump Staff was in training. There was a trainer on the field loudly instructing all the Umps who were in training/class. And it appeared most of the umps were very, very new to umpiring. One home plate ump was terrified of the baseball. We were surprised; is this now the norm for PG? Curious to know what others have experienced.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ABSORBER posted:

No, not at all. I'm sure some of the organizations PG uses ask to train some crews during the showcase but it is certainly not the norm. But they do have to train somewhere and what better place than a showcase?

Well, when we are paying full price (over $800) for a showcase and the focus is on training umps, it's a little annoying. If they want to use showcases to train umps, reduce the price of the showcase accordingly. 

I have to point out that PG Showcases are NOT about winning and losing games. They are contrived game situations; nobody cares about the calls being made at the plate or on the base path. You play 10 innings or so, usually 3 outs or 5 batters.  PG evaluators or coaches there looking for players could care less about the quality of umpires. Pitchers either look good or they don't! I'm sure coaches will cross a pitcher off their recruiting list because of a strike that doesn't get called. Most college camps don't even have umpires! They usually have a coach standing behind the mound! Seriously, the umpires I've seen at PG Showcases are much better than what we have in our local high school games!

Or maybe umpires should get their training at high school games--or district, regional and state tournaments? At least those games follow real baseball rules. That is, if you consider NFHS real baseball...

Last edited by ABSORBER

Yes, that is all understood. However, when an ump is turning his head away from every pitch that does pose a bit of an issue. Mostly it was a huge distraction of having the ump "trainer" barking instructions to the umps in training the whole time. If one didn't know better, one would think it was a contrived game situation for the purpose of training umps, not a showcase for baseball players. The lack of PG staff in attendance didn't help. I am curious to know if others experienced this at PG Individual Showcase events. We have not in the past; maybe this is something new they are doing. 

Again, I haven't seen it that often and it is most certainly not the norm. But if it truly was a problem I would contact the director of PG Showcases and mention it.  Perhaps you could get a credit to a future showcase, you never know! I think they do want to put out a quality product and I can't say I've attended showcases all over but my son did attend showcases in NC, GA, FL, and AZ, both  regional and national level. But I certainly can't speak to the quality of the other regions.

Dialed, Absorber is right.. those there evaluating players could care less about the umpiring.  If it's a clown show, they may get a brief chuckle out of it but that is not what they are looking at at all.  They may be somewhat interested in seeing a player reaction to a really bad call but they sure don't care about the bad calls or anything to do with the umpiring.   

It is definitely not my experience that there are not sufficient PG personnel at PG Showcases but I think they may have started to offer events to younger age groups since we were immersed.  How old is your son and what was the event?

I have been to camps and showcases/tournaments in the fall where they are training college umpires.  It was a little distracting to some of the players but I think that also speaks to their level of play.  The really good players did not seem affected at all.  I did have a parent near me who complained loudly and I just turned to him and said the coaches couldn't care what the umpires are doing.  It is about the players.  He was also the guy who complained about balls and strikes by the umpires when his kid was batting.  I'm sure he helped his kid with the college guys (not).  I reminded him twice that it was a showcase and not a real game.  His answer was when my kid steps on a field it is all real no matter what is going on.  I said then let him play the game and stop being that dad and walked away.  A few minutes later the coordinator of the showcase came over and asked him to stop yelling or leave.   He stomped off.

PitchingFan posted:

I have been to camps and showcases/tournaments in the fall where they are training college umpires.  It was a little distracting to some of the players but I think that also speaks to their level of play.  The really good players did not seem affected at all.  I did have a parent near me who complained loudly and I just turned to him and said the coaches couldn't care what the umpires are doing.  It is about the players.  He was also the guy who complained about balls and strikes by the umpires when his kid was batting.  I'm sure he helped his kid with the college guys (not).  I reminded him twice that it was a showcase and not a real game.  His answer was when my kid steps on a field it is all real no matter what is going on.  I said then let him play the game and stop being that dad and walked away.  A few minutes later the coordinator of the showcase came over and asked him to stop yelling or leave.   He stomped off.

LOL! That's kind of funny ... although I feel bad for the kid. No parents behaved that way where we were. It was a 2021 and under showcase. So these players were mostly 16-17 years old. A few 15 year olds in the mix too. 

I will say though, it does create difficulty when the strike zone is all over the place. Nobody wants to strike out looking but several players did (not really but that was the call). Although most of you don't think the home plate ump makes a difference, I think he does. You're right, Scouts/PG are there to see the players but when the calls at the plate are terrible it really can take opportunity from a player. One batter was at the plate for at least 20 minutes. Not exaggerating. Strikes were called balls repeatedly. The pitcher was gassed, the catcher was too. It was not good. 

But good to know it doesn't sound very common. What's done is done... maybe we just don't sign up for $800 umpire training camps anymore or, at the very least, inquire as to how PG will run each showcase. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.