Skip to main content

Does anybody have any information on these schools - overall how good are they, talent level, economic level and anything you think may be helpful

1. Sickles HS - Tampa

2.  Coral Reef HS - close to Miami

3.  Lincoln HS - Tallahassee

4.  Bishop Verot - can't remember where this one is

Also, if you know of any other openings that are currently available or anticipated to be open.  You are more than welcome to PM me.

Thanks

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. Thomas Jefferson

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Had to track down some of the more local information on these... I don't really know them well personally.

Sickles had a good program for a few years.  Longtime coach stepped down prior to this year, and they didn't have a good season.  Actually from looking at it, they had a really bad season.  If I recall correctly, the school is in a fairly nice area of Tampa.

Coral Reef is in a middle class area in South Miami.  Huge amount of talent in this area, but you have to fight a lot of other schools to get it.  Didn't have a great record this year, but they play in a very tough district.  The roster looks like it was very senior filled.

Lincoln I don't know much about...  The school has a reputation as one of the better football programs in the country, so they have athletes.

Bishop Verot is a Roman Catholic school in Ft. Myers.  Plays in one of the smaller school divisions, so I would say maybe 600 students.  I know their team is currently a game or two from the state finals, so they have some talent this season.  I don't know about the future, because in the smaller school divisions - one stud player joining or leaving the team can make a huge difference.

The only opening I know of at this time is at Monarch high in Coral Springs.  Good school in a pretty good area.

I'm sure more openings will come up in the next few weeks.

It's a very diverse group of schools, and I think picking one would be very dependent on the coach and what challenges he is willing to take on.

Rob T posted:

Had to track down some of the more local information on these... I don't really know them well personally.

Sickles had a good program for a few years.  Longtime coach stepped down prior to this year, and they didn't have a good season.  Actually from looking at it, they had a really bad season.  If I recall correctly, the school is in a fairly nice area of Tampa.

Coral Reef is in a middle class area in South Miami.  Huge amount of talent in this area, but you have to fight a lot of other schools to get it.  Didn't have a great record this year, but they play in a very tough district.  The roster looks like it was very senior filled.

Lincoln I don't know much about...  The school has a reputation as one of the better football programs in the country, so they have athletes.

Bishop Verot is a Roman Catholic school in Ft. Myers.  Plays in one of the smaller school divisions, so I would say maybe 600 students.  I know their team is currently a game or two from the state finals, so they have some talent this season.  I don't know about the future, because in the smaller school divisions - one stud player joining or leaving the team can make a huge difference.

The only opening I know of at this time is at Monarch high in Coral Springs.  Good school in a pretty good area.

It's a very diverse group of schools, and I think picking one would be very dependent on the coach and what challenges he is willing to take on.

Did Joe Franco from Monarch leave?  Monarch is in Coconut Creek.

Last edited by TPM
TPM posted:
Rob T posted:

Did Joe Franco from Monarch leave?  Monarch is in Coconut Creek.

He apparently left after the season ended.  I don't really know anyone connected to the program, so I don't know the reason he left.  I know they had an off year, but considering the typical success he has had there, I wouldn't think it was a results issue.  Who knows though - it seems like fewer and fewer guys stick with a school long term these days.

I actually had to look back at a map to see where Monarch was... For some reason I thought it was closer to University Dr. - I'll stand corrected, it's in Coconut Creek.

TPM posted:

Coral Springs did well with first year coach Federman. He was assistant when dave was there.  There is not one prospect on that team, but they did well considering. Tell you something what HS ball is all about.

TPM,

Not sure how Coral Springs didn't have one prospect and 3 members of that team made All-County in the Miami Herald (not easy in SoFL)...their Ace looked like a D1 prospect to me (1.2 ERA, 82 Ks in 63 IP...impressive #s, especially in 9A in SoFL)...also looks like their SS was All-Tourney this past Fall in Jupiter (he also looked like a prospect to me in their District Final against PG's #1 HS Team in the country!).  But, you know what they say about opinions & how everybody has one...

Ceeheezee posted:
TPM posted:

Coral Springs did well with first year coach Federman. He was assistant when dave was there.  There is not one prospect on that team, but they did well considering. Tell you something what HS ball is all about.

TPM,

Not sure how Coral Springs didn't have one prospect and 3 members of that team made All-County in the Miami Herald (not easy in SoFL)...their Ace looked like a D1 prospect to me (1.2 ERA, 82 Ks in 63 IP...impressive #s, especially in 9A in SoFL)...also looks like their SS was All-Tourney this past Fall in Jupiter (he also looked like a prospect to me in their District Final against PG's #1 HS Team in the country!).  But, you know what they say about opinions & how everybody has one...

Not for nothing, but you realize none of that matters to recruiters and scouts.

Perhaps what TPM considers a prospect and what you consider a prospect are two different things. Are we talking draft prospect, D1-D3, JC, NAIA ?

It's nice to be recognized for accomplishments on the field, but when it comes down to it - they are just certificates on the wall or mentions on a web site.

In the end the only opinions that matter are those of the scouts and recruiters.

Rob T posted:
Ceeheezee posted:
TPM posted:

TPM,

Not for nothing, but you realize none of that matters to recruiters and scouts.

Perhaps what TPM considers a prospect and what you consider a prospect are two different things. Are we talking draft prospect, D1-D3, JC, NAIA ?

It's nice to be recognized for accomplishments on the field, but when it comes down to it - they are just certificates on the wall or mentions on a web site.

In the end the only opinions that matter are those of the scouts and recruiters.

There were no D1 prospects ( sorry what I meant) on the team, but they had great pitching and did well. They also enjoyed playing and the new coach was loose and made it fun to play again. Out of the 6 seniors 2 will go play Juco and 1 either D2 or NAIA not yet TBD.They haven't had a D1 prospect in 4 years.

This is per the pitching coach.

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.