Skip to main content

I just found some that are $120/day. Might look into it. I always prefer Ubers though when I'm travelling. Gives me more of a chance to look around at whatever city I'm in without having to keep my eyes on the road.

I wouldn’t get too caught up on that front, Baseball Heaven is in the middle of a field on a remote section of the island and the drive to airport is just a stretch of highway.  May be a challenge to get an Uber at 5am as well.  

I just found some that are $120/day. Might look into it. I always prefer Ubers though when I'm travelling. Gives me more of a chance to look around at whatever city I'm in without having to keep my eyes on the road.

Sorry late to this conversation but an UBER or LYFT are probably not really economical options.  That ride from the airport to the field could be two hours with Traffic, especially if on a Friday.   While I bet there are uber's to take you to and from the hotel to the site you will be best served with a rental in my opinion (if you can find one which you have).  I highly recommend renting a car.   Is there a way to estimate the uber cost from airport?

*Found Uber cost estimate - right now that would run $150 for that trip minimum.... My guess is $200 with traffic and if rain and surge pricing......

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Sorry late to this conversation but an UBER or LYFT are probably not really economical options.  That ride from the airport to the field could be two hours with Traffic, especially if on a Friday.   While I bet there are uber's to take you to and from the hotel to the site you will be best served with a rental in my opinion (if you can find one which you have).  I highly recommend renting a car.   Is there a way to estimate the uber cost from airport?

*Found Uber cost estimate - right now that would run $150 for that trip minimum.... My guess is $200 with traffic and if rain and surge pricing......

Wow, those prices have gone up considerably. Just saw $200 each way

Hi TBPT, we'll be at Headfirst same time.  Flying into Islip; staying in Medford.  Car rentals were $200 per day!  $800 total!  So I just decided to Lyft/uber it around.  I figured it had to be much cheaper but admittedly nervous about the availability of rides...

Somehow I was able to reserve a Nissan Altima at a reasonable price. I just hope the rental company has it when we arrive. I would have preferred an Uber, but after considering the costs and other factors like availability I just decided on the rental.

We were also able to get a decent hotel very close to Baseball Heaven. Now all I need to do is find some solid restaurants in the area! If anyone has a good steakhouse recommendation I'm all ears.

Somehow I was able to reserve a Nissan Altima at a reasonable price. I just hope the rental company has it when we arrive. I would have preferred an Uber, but after considering the costs and other factors like availability I just decided on the rental.

We were also able to get a decent hotel very close to Baseball Heaven. Now all I need to do is find some solid restaurants in the area! If anyone has a good steakhouse recommendation I'm all ears.

It’s on a bit of an isolated stretch of the island. There’s an Italian place called La Margherita Pizzeria that’s a decent close option.  You can also drive 10-15 mins to the south shore for seafood eg Harbor Crab Co. or Island Fish.

@Wechson posted:

If you really want to treat yourself you can probably make it to Peter Luger’s in Great Neck in under an hour.  One of the best Steakhouses in the US.

Hasn't the rep gone down a bit?  I know the NY Times did an absolutely brutal takedown of the Williamsburg original a few years back. OTOH Sean Hannity is know to frequent the LI version, so that could be a draw.

@JCG posted:

Hasn't the rep gone down a bit?  I know the NY Times did an absolutely brutal takedown of the Williamsburg original a few years back. OTOH Sean Hannity is know to frequent the LI version, so that could be a draw.

Id file this under “don’t believe everything you read”.  That was a highly contested review.  Been back many times since and it’s as good as ever.  

@Wechson posted:

Id file this under “don’t believe everything you read”.  That was a highly contested review.  Been back many times since and it’s as good as ever.  

So I called the restaurant instead of booking online and they were able to squeeze me in at 7:45. That should be plenty of time to get there after the showcase, right?

Would it make sense to just get a hotel for the last night closer to PL instead of driving all the way back to baseball heaven?

Looks like a Headfirst on 8/2-8/3 and a Showball on 8/4-8/5 that are practically right next to each other. For anyone who has done these events, is there any reason a player wouldn’t be able to do both?

I'm sure you have already made your decision but had I seen this post earlier I would have said:

Big difference between the two camps you mention. The SB Camp on 8/4-8/5 is a Head Coach Academic Camp. That's the one camp you want to attend. The HF camp does not have the decision-makers.  While both camps are money-makers, attending the SB Head Coach camp may actually make a difference.

@ABSORBER posted:

I'm sure you have already made your decision but had I seen this post earlier I would have said:

Big difference between the two camps you mention. The SB Camp on 8/4-8/5 is a Head Coach Academic Camp. That's the one camp you want to attend. The HF camp does not have the decision-makers.  While both camps are money-makers, attending the SB Head Coach camp may actually make a difference.

By the time we decided to pull the trigger the SB was sold out. Ended up doing the HF. There are actually a lot of head coaches going to it and a couple have said they are going to try to make it. I’m guessing with the SB camp being held down the street and 1 day later it’s easy to get to for them.

We’ll see how this one goes. A few coaches have already been in contact and asked my son to introduce himself as soon as he has his jersey. If we have to I’ll take him to the SB in St Pete in October.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.