Skip to main content

Dirtbag30 posted:
letsgo!!! posted:

Try to get to your State's PBR Top Prospect Game - in my experience this was a critical step in my son's recruitment as a rising senior/late bloomer - the event occurred prior to the summer ball season, was heavily recruited and provided tape and verifiable stats.  That exposure, coupled with tape/stats allowed him to have meaningful communication in advance of key summer tournaments (wwba, etc) where they ultimately saw him play. 

So PBR just sent him (upon request and some more info) an invite to their "Top Prospects (invite only)" event in May.  PBR is fairly new to GA and took over the LakePointe facility from Perfect Game last year (I believe) so I'm not familiar with it and don't know whether college coaches will be there.  Anyone have experience in GA with one?  Regardless, the event does include laser timed 60s, video clips, etc. and is not too expensive so I assume there's no downside and he should do it.

I will second what 3and2 said. Coaches are in season and not many players are doing in season showcasing. Probably best to hold off for now. Get the numbers when more coaches will be present. 

I will also add that if your kid wants to go to a HA school in the northeast, a PBR showcase in GA will not help him get in front of those schools. I'm not sure how many HA schools there are in the south, but recruiting happens regionally. So if he wants schools in another region you have to head their way or at least find a more "national" event.  

PABaseball posted:
Dirtbag30 posted:
letsgo!!! posted:

Try to get to your State's PBR Top Prospect Game - in my experience this was a critical step in my son's recruitment as a rising senior/late bloomer - the event occurred prior to the summer ball season, was heavily recruited and provided tape and verifiable stats.  That exposure, coupled with tape/stats allowed him to have meaningful communication in advance of key summer tournaments (wwba, etc) where they ultimately saw him play. 

So PBR just sent him (upon request and some more info) an invite to their "Top Prospects (invite only)" event in May.  PBR is fairly new to GA and took over the LakePointe facility from Perfect Game last year (I believe) so I'm not familiar with it and don't know whether college coaches will be there.  Anyone have experience in GA with one?  Regardless, the event does include laser timed 60s, video clips, etc. and is not too expensive so I assume there's no downside and he should do it.

I will second what 3and2 said. Coaches are in season and not many players are doing in season showcasing. Probably best to hold off for now. Get the numbers when more coaches will be present. 

I will also add that if your kid wants to go to a HA school in the northeast, a PBR showcase in GA will not help him get in front of those schools. I'm not sure how many HA schools there are in the south, but recruiting happens regionally. So if he wants schools in another region you have to head their way or at least find a more "national" event.  

I didn't even think about the fact that the PBR is in May.  Doubtful that coaches will be there in the middle of their season, you are correct

I second what PABASEBALL said about trying to get an Area Codes invite.  That can be a very tough invite to get, but can really open doors.

So, my experience was a few years ago.  My son was looking at the same level schools you are considering.  We focused on traditional D1s, D1 Ivy and D1 Patriot up to the middle of August.   He played PG WWBA and a handful of national tournaments plus select camps, and was able to get some local D1 offers at some very good schools before August.  We signed up for HeadFirst back in February of that same year as an "insurance policy" just in case something didn't work out in the early part of the summer.  Well, it got complicated as son was looking for something very specific in his college major.   The aggressive D3s knew about him already and began recruiting him prior at the same time as the D1 Ivys and D1 Patriot schools.  He turned down the traditional D1 offers (no engineering program) and focused on D1 Ivy, D1 Patriot and top D3 programs with engineering.   My point in all of this is you have plenty of time with the D3s up until late Sept/Oct.   Focus on getting in front of those D1s now, as they are beginning to recruit kids they've already seen.   Your son needs to be seen.

BTW...You did not mention GPA, ACT or SAT scores.   I'm assuming you have everything you need there.   If you don't then that is a thread for another day.   The HA schools will pursue your son, but they will not seriously pursue your son until they have the academic metrics they need for admission.

Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful comments.  He's got the GPA/SAT that put him well within the 50% range of admission standards for the HA schools he's in which he's most interested.  

We were looking at the early May PBR showcase as a way to get some verified metrics (recommended by several posters) and video he could forward to coaches in advance of his summer season, where he'll be playing events most of these coaches will likely attend (PG/PBR/WWBA).  Anyone see a downside to that even if RCsare unlikely to be there?  It's only $250.  Also will be putting together a short video to send prior to the May showcase.

After that, we are looking at severeal regional showcases between tournaments that have 5-8 D1/3 schools, including the ones he likes.  While the HF/SB may be sold out if we wait to sign up, right now there's only 2-4 schools he's really interested in there so not sure if it's a good use of time/resources.  

I always wanted him to look at HA schools in the NE, and perhaps swing a shot at an Ivy, but now that depature from home is imminent, I'm not thrilled with the idea of him being so far from home (and, of course, my wife hates the idea).  I've told him for years to consider it seriously, as nothing can open doors like an Ivy degree.  But if that's just not his dream, perhaps attending showcases that consist almost exclusively of those schools is not the best way to go about it for us.

Last edited by Dirtbag30

Yes, attending the PBR in order to get verifiable measureables and videos, in order to send to coaches, is a smart move.  (In my opinion)

I wouldn't sweat the college far from home thing.  I have a 27 year old son and a 16 year old.  Typically when kids go off to college, you'll be lucky if they spend summers with you in their freshman/sophomore years (less likely for ballplayers as they'll be playing summer ball somewhere).  After that you'll see them for a week at Christmas, or even just a few days, maybe they'll spend much of winter break with you, but even then they aren't exactly sitting at home playing Yatzee with Mom & Dad.  They'll be out hanging with friends and/or girlfriends most of the time.  It is tough, trust me, but it is just part of growing up.  And it doesn't really matter if they are an hour away or 7 hours away.  

Encourage them to attend the school that is best for them, that will set them up for life.  You won't regret that.

3and2Fastball posted:

Yes, attending the PBR in order to get verifiable measureables and videos, in order to send to coaches, is a smart move.  (In my opinion)

I wouldn't sweat the college far from home thing.  I have a 27 year old son and a 16 year old.  Typically when kids go off to college, you'll be lucky if they spend summers with you in their freshman/sophomore years (less likely for ballplayers as they'll be playing summer ball somewhere).  After that you'll see them for a week at Christmas, or even just a few days, maybe they'll spend much of winter break with you, but even then they aren't exactly sitting at home playing Yatzee with Mom & Dad.  They'll be out hanging with friends and/or girlfriends most of the time.  It is tough, trust me, but it is just part of growing up.  And it doesn't really matter if they are an hour away or 7 hours away.  

Encourage them to attend the school that is best for them, that will set them up for life.  You won't regret that.

So true. My eldest does his best to spend some "quality time" with my wife and I when he comes home, then he's out the door, or in his room with the door closed.

He's a great kid, so I'm not complaining. 

My eldest attended a mid major about an hour or so away for undergrad, and then a high academic halfway across the country for grad school.  Once he got past Soph year of college, I didn't see him any more or less when he was halfway across the country.

I mean c'mon, if you were 20 years oldwould you want to hang out with Dad on winter break watching NFL games or go to Miami with your buddies?!

I definitely do cherish the time I have with him though.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Regarding the HC versus Asst. Coach question, that is more relevant for the D3's versus D2 and D1.  It is definitely a plus to be seen by the D3 HC at one of the events, while the other division HCs tend to lean more on the RCs anyway, so you can gain interest from the HC if the RC likes you.  And as others have said, the HF showcase is designed much better for having opportunities to actually talk to the coaches.  It is a big plus that HF focuses on getting the coaches and players around each other a lot in the dugouts, on the field.  So talking to an Asst Coach is better than not talking to a HC at Showball.

My 2017's experience with Showball is that the coaches tended to hang with each other and not mingle with players nearly as much.  And the games were on scattered fields in different locations so it was random luck if a coach/school was at your game.  HF had it arranged where coaches rotated fields so there was at least one game where they would be at an interested player's game.

Finally, remember that for the HAs, it is always going to be about the academic scores.  If your son has a very high ACT/SAT score or GPA at or over 4.0, put that in the subject line of an e-mail to a coach (W. Jones OF Atlanta 6.8 60YD 33 ACT or something to that effect).  My 2017 seemed to get a much higher response rate on his e-mails than other kids he knew by putting a key measurable and test score in the message header.  I understand why when coaches say they get hundreds of e-mails each week.

It's going to be an exciting Summer for you and your 2020.  Good luck!

Backstop22 posted:

Regarding the HC versus Asst. Coach question, that is more relevant for the D3's versus D2 and D1.  It is definitely a plus to be seen by the D3 HC at one of the events, while the other division HCs tend to lean more on the RCs anyway, so you can gain interest from the HC if the RC likes you.  And as others have said, the HF showcase is designed much better for having opportunities to actually talk to the coaches.  It is a big plus that HF focuses on getting the coaches and players around each other a lot in the dugouts, on the field.  So talking to an Asst Coach is better than not talking to a HC at Showball.

My 2017's experience with Showball is that the coaches tended to hang with each other and not mingle with players nearly as much.  And the games were on scattered fields in different locations so it was random luck if a coach/school was at your game.  HF had it arranged where coaches rotated fields so there was at least one game where they would be at an interested player's game.

So, as to HF vs. Showball, what do you think if his summer ball schedule only allows for the July 15-16 showcases.  That weekend has all 8 Ivy HCs at SB (two coaches from some schools).  Seems that leaves HF as second fiddle during that time.

If we can only do that time period, wouldn't it be best to do the Showball since most HCs will be there, even if HF's format is preferable?

Dirtbag30 posted:
Backstop22 posted:

So, as to HF vs. Showball, what do you think if his summer ball schedule only allows for the July 15-16 showcases.  That weekend has all 8 Ivy HCs at SB (two coaches from some schools).  Seems that leaves HF as second fiddle during that time.

If we can only do that time period, wouldn't it be best to do the Showball since most HCs will be there, even if HF's format is preferable?

Been to both... Diff formats...I do not consider one better than the other.  Personally thought Showball was a no BS efficiently run Showcase w all coaches involved to move it along. 

Which college coaches  from the schools your kid is suitable to play for will be attending which showcase ?  I think Showball HC in June then HF in July-Aug is best combo.  For the Ivy’s they have most of their rosters sort of set by July-Aug with Exception of 1-2 P’s and big hitting position guy. If your son doesn’t fall into that category - the focus is D3 schools he’s interested in. Again unless he’s got the arm or the bat.  Ivy’s aren't done but they are further ahead than you realize.

Get emails-videos out now, get seen in June and again in July-Aug.  

edit: too much wine to edit that first line

Last edited by Gov
Tampa2020 posted:

Simple question for those who have experience with HF & Showball ... will this get any attention? RHP 1300 SAT (first try) 4.0  82-84

Based on our experience Coaches are assuming you are a good student given the player is attending HF or ShowBall.  For a first time score of 1300 on the SAT, equivalent of a 28 ACT, that's a good start, and the Coaches know the student will take the SAT or ACT a few more times.  Having said that, a 1300 SAT or 28 ACT along with some serious baseball talent will get you into most Ivy's.

Serious baseball talent:  Big Bat or Big Arm.  If a player is hitting balls hard all over the field along with a decent glove that will get attention.  But, it's necessary that player has a decent arm (IF/OF Velo) along with decent 60 speed for that position.  Sub 6.8's get attention, Coaches want sub 7.0 for the 60yd.  A big bat first baseman with a decent glove will get away with 7.3...kind of depends on level of college baseball.

Pitching:  in general 82-84 doesn't really stand out to D1's.  With that velo, does the player project to be bigger?  Big frame with time to fill out, the velo will come.  Does the college coach see room for mechanical improvements which would easily yield more velo?

82-84 with good command and secondary  pitches is appealing to D3's.  Ideally they want higher velo as well, but if velo is sitting 85-88 with top FB 90 then the player is being looked at closely by D1's.

So many exceptions to seeing 82-84.  All about the Coaches eye.  Some D3's 82-84 will be their hardest throwing pitcher.  Lots of D1's have plenty of guys throwing 82-84; these guys likely have incredible command with some nasty off speed pitches.  Will the 82-84 guy draw the first attention? Likely not.  Invest in refining his throwing motion and getting stronger.

How big is your kid?  What year is he?  

Good luck, only my opinion.  My 2018 went to 1 HF, 2 Showball, 1 Stanford, 1 AZ Fall Jr Classic

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.