Skip to main content

Hey everyone,

This is Jay Weaver, Coach Weaver's oldest son.....I know a lot of you have been waiting for an update on Coach Weaver's situation and I know some of you may be unaware of what has been going on. I am so unbelievably saddened to have to let all of you know that around 10:30am on Friday, June 17th 2011 my father passed away from colon cancer. He was our rock, our hero, and my personal Superman.

Two weeks ago, doctors found a second tumor inside of my father. None of us knew it would escalate to this level so quickly. It took one of the rarest forms of cancer known to man to bring him down and he fought incredibly hard til the very end. None of you will be surprised to know that all the way up until his passing, he was cracking jokes at everyone in the room, putting smiles on all of our faces like he has done so many times for so many people around the world.

To our students and any of the families who my father has had an impact on, my father viewed you ALL as part of our family. You were all sons and daughters, brothers and sisters to him and his unwavering faith gave him peace and fearlessness until God decided that the catchers in Heaven flat out sucked and they needed some help from the absolute best.

Although the schedule has not been set, we will be holding a memorial and a celebration of life for my father on Thursday, June 23rd 2011. The memorial service location is still being determined, but the Celebration of Coach Weaver’s Life will be held at Play Ball @ 16 Industrial Way Salem, NH. I will make sure to let you all know the details once the schedule is finalized. We will be putting together a video tribute for my father which will be shown during the Celebration of Life following the memorial service. If anyone is interested in attending, or has video or photos of Coach Weaver and would like to send them to us to use in the tribute, please contact me at Jay@catchingcamp.com, subject line of “Photos and Video’s of Coach Weaver” or "Coach Weaver's memorial service". We would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for all of your prayers and continued support. My dad is no longer in pain and his suffering has ended. He is probably resting comfortably on a bucket somewhere on Heaven’s ballfield. Rest in peace daddy, we all love you so much. You will FOREVER be missed by so many.

Everyone should know that this camp will continue to prosper and impact the lives of tens-of-thousands of more catchers in honor of my father and our dream. I will do my absolute best to carry on his legacy and look forward to seeing everyone at Summer Camp this year!

God bless you all,
Jay and the rest of the Weaver/NECC family
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Jay, thank you so much for coming on here and giving us this devastating news. I had many conversations with your father, both here on this site and over the phone.

He was a top notch person, and I respected him very much. I know this is a difficult time, and I hope that you and your family will find some comfort in knowing how well regarded your father was in this community.
This has truly shocked me and saddens me. Coach Weaver was a great man and coach. I'll never forget the phone call I had with him a couple of years ago when I went back to coaching catchers. I wanted a refresher in things and we talked for a really long time about catching. All I was looking for was a refresher and he ended up teaching me quite a bit.

My sincerest sympathies go out to your family and friends. This is a tough loss but I think you're right in that the catchers in heaven are getting some good coaching right now.

I wish you the absolute best continuing on what your father built.
I was over at the Weaver's this afternoon and I told Jay I would help get the links out.

Jay has set up an registration page to help the family get a better idea about how many people plan on attending services so they can plan accordingly. I know there are a lot of people in the local community that will be there but it is hard to guess how many people will be traveling. There will be a Memorial Service held at the Manchester Christian Church (Manchester, NH) and the a Celebration of Life at Play Ball, an indoor baseball/softball facility in Salem, NH. If you plan on attending, please go to the following link and "register" with the appropriate number of people. Times, dates, addresses are at this link.

http://daveweaver.eventbrite.com/

Also, there is a video slideshow being put together. I put a form on my website to make it easy for people to upload images. If you've been to a camp or attended clinics or anything, please share you picture so it can be included in the slideshow. The person making the slideshow will receive a link to the image and be able to add it.

http://www.abathletics.com/dave-weav...deo-slideshow/

Last, please share these links with anybody you think may want/need to know. The family has a lot going on and would appreciate any help in getting the word out to the baseball and softball communities that Coach Weaver has so greatly contributed to.
When we moved from Texas to Connecticut, we looked for a catching instructor and found Dave. What a great guy. He not only taught my son, but he took the time to teach me how to help him. My son and I became more of a team because of Dave's approach to instruction. What a great gift.

As I recall, Dave was not a catcher himself. He educated himself about the position to help his son when he decided to be a catcher and there were no instructors in the area. Dave was a true student of the game, and specifically the position. Fortunately for many of us, Dave shared that knowledge with so many other kids and their parents.

All the best to Jay and the rest of the Weaver family.
Years ago I had a number of personal exchanges with Dave Weaver, that led to him sending me videos to review and comment on from an umpires viewpoint...

I was throughly impressed at his total comprehension of the catching position in all the facets of the game. He left no stone unturned to make sure he was delivering the most in depth and top notch education he could.

Today in my daily devotions, I will struggle to accept the Masters plan with a heavy heart...

My sincerest condolences and prayers for the Weaver family, his students and the greater baseball community he so well served.....

Game Called. Upon the field of life
the darkness gathers far and wide,
the dream is done, the score is spun
that stands forever in the guide.
Nor victory, nor yet defeat
is chalked against the players name.
But down the roll, the final scroll,
shows only how he played the game

May the Chief Umpire call him “safe at home.”
Last edited by piaa_ump
Jay,

I am so very sorry to learn of the passing of your father. I had the pleasure of speaking with him a couple of times by phone and numerous times via email, and Christ's love shone through everything that he did, from the first contact I ever had with him, through the last.

Dave had many earthly accomplishments as a coach, father, husband and friend, but none of that could ever matter as much as his strong and shining belief in his Savior.

My deepest condolences to you and your family at the loss of your wonderful dad.

Julie
James 4:14. One of my favorite verses.

Coach will feel no more pain. No more sorrow. No more worries. He is with his Lord and will be waiting for those that he loves. While those that loved him will grieve and miss him he will rejoice in the presence of God. I rejoice in knowing that he has finished this race. I pray that God will allow you to carry on your Dads work while on this earth. God Bless you and your family.

He was just passing through anyway. We all are. There are much greater things in store for us. Coach just got started a little earlier than we did.
I read that RJM. What an awesome man. He touched so many lives. He helped so many people. He made a difference in his short time on this earth. Its people like Coach Weaver who make baseball such a wonderful game. And its people like Coach who inspire others and think of others first. What a lucky guy you are Jay. To have a father like Coach and a man of God to look up to. Thank God for men like Coach Weaver. Thank God for Dad's like him.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.