Skip to main content

Baseball web

For the last two years my son has played the recruiting game in Ca,He has a 3.5 g.p.a and a act score of 21. He,s an upcoming Senior with better then average pitching skills (87 mph 6 ft tall) plays any other position good and has hit a baseball out of Tony Gywnn Stadium in front of 25 D1 coaches at a showball tryout. he has not got any offers and is very frustrated. any suggestions, we are not given up,it seems they only want you to donate to there camp and then thats it. any suggestions? Sad dog
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Surfdog,
Not much detail to go on but he's marginal as a D1 prospect as a pitcher unless he's got excellent control and/or movement and/or good secondary pitches. I have no idea how he stacks up as a position player. Notice I didn't say he's not a D1 prospect. He will probably get more attention come the late signing period in the April timeframe. He needs to keep on working to improve, play well this season, get his schedule out to the schools he's interested in while letting them know he's interested, and look for additional opportunities to showcase himself including possibly the West Coast Uncommitted showcase in June if he hasn't signed by then. (Michigan landed a pitcher throwing up to 86 at that showcase last June. I was sitting with the coach while the kid was pitching and was impressed with the movement he had on the ball so it wasn't just the velocity.) He also needs to consider backup options such as a JC if he is firm in his desire to go D1 and D2 or D3 schools if he's just interested in keeping on playing baseball. If he doesn't sign or commit in April then a good summer program, i.e. Connie Mack and college camps are still an option to get him exposure. As TR often says, colleges sign players as late as July or August.
Last edited by CADad
I agree with CADad, you really haven't given much info to offer any suggestions.

What has he actually done (besides attending camps) to attract interest, is he targeting the right schools that would be a good fit him and them, and has he considered all possibilities, which would include other divisions, out of state, JUCO, etc.
Surfdog:

We experienced the same thing that you are now. The reality is unless you leave the west coast it may be very difficult to find any real enthusiasm for your son.

The numbers are stacked against you in California. Their are 5 times as many kids playing ball and 1/4 the number of schools versus other parts of the country. Also, the vast majority of schools playing baseball are state schools that you may or many not consider.

Then again; he is only a junior and the reality is most real recruiting decisions will not be made until next summer (I know the blue chippers have all committed).

I strongly recommend that you expand your horizons. There are many a great school that would love to have a good kid from California. Expand your horizons and open your heart and you may be surprised what may be available.
Surfdog, the reality for players in talent deep areas like California is that it is very easy not to get noticed.

Notice that I did not say that it is hard to stand out.

Ways to stand out:

Be a total professional. Stand up at the fence at every point in the game and be a participant even if you are not batting or fielding. Help your teammates.

Practice with game intensity, look like a professional when practicing. Use good mechanics and dont goof.

In the on-deck circle, take a professionals approach in regards to total focus on preparing for upcoming at bat. Watch the pitch, practice mechanics, set your approach, be serious.

I'm not saying dont have fun. I am saying be a professional.

I believe make-up is what separated the noticed from the un-noticed in a skilled player.
Based upon my son's experience, there's nothing wrong with planning on attending a JC in CA. The last thing you want to do is go to a school that doesn't have your son high on their list/needs. Been there done that.

The advantage of the JC:

1-In Socal there seems to be alot of D1 and D2 schools keeping an eye on the action, looking for players that can help them.

2-If your son is really a D2 player, lots of schools will see him. West Coast D2's live off of transfers.

3-Its cheap.

4. Classes are smaller and students don't suffer with T/A's as the primary instructor.

This doesn't work for everyone, however I'd keep an open mind.
While I completely agree with what CollegeParent just said, I want to add:

It is not easier to make a JC team than a D1/D2/D3 team. In fact it may be harder. There are a lot more players to sift through.

Really good student athletes get recruited to play SoCal JC along with:

Every great player who academically did not get into a 4 year and every great player who did not make grades will transfer back from their NCAA school to a JC and players who for some reason did not click in with their D1 team come back to the JC level.

At Santa Ana JC this year over 80 kids played fall ball. OCC same deal. RCC no different.

JC is not a settle for option. It is just another option. Not any easier to make or play.

I just wanted to clarify that.
I would like to add as a possible scenario that would or could work in your favor. If your son gets on a JUCO and is a starter, which is more likely at the JUCO level to get playing time. If he can be a producer there, and a D1 Coach or Scout asks the Coach, who are the top two or three coming out strong on your team? If your son can be one of the first names out of the Coaches mouths when hes ask that, it would be a major plus for a transfer push or draft option. At the very least he would have stirred up interest enough for them to follow him through the year. But the key for him is to come out of the gates strong. Be noticed and a Coaches top picks to be mentioned. Hard to get noticed out of the gate D1 unless you are a Bryce Harper or throw 90-98. Hope this helps some.
quote:
It is not easier to make a JC team than a D1/D2/D3 team. In fact it may be harder. There are a lot more players to sift through.

It really depends upon the JC. I am not sure our local JC cuts anyone due to numbers. Some of the more popular JCs get to pick and choose more then others. However, I believe if the player is a marginal D1/D2 player he shouldn't have much trouble finding/making a JC team unless he has a bad attitude and/or is trouble.
Don't be a Sad Dog,everyone makes their own path.
Try not to get caught up in what is happening with others, makes life real frustrating. Try to stay focused on what you want.
We have experienced two completely different scenarios on our way to the next level. Older son never attended a showcase,he played Legion ball and his high school team won league his senior year. He just got a call from a scout one day asking him if he would like to play on his fall scout team (for free). He got all of his offers from participating on that team. By the time younger son graduated two years later,our school district had expanded our baseball talent was split between two schools (most going to the other school) and on top of that, we got a new coach that was horribly disorganized and was not interested in the seniors at all. My son was extremely disappointed in the season and total lack of attention he received. He had been invited to one showcase his jr. year and received lots of letters of interest, but he had his sights set on a certain school, and they were lukewarm at best.
All of the JC's in our area spoke with him more than a few times. He was just so stuck on this one school, he was kind of in an all or nothing mode.
This one coach from a JC came to see him in one of his last HS games. He walked with us toward the bus and mentioned that he hadn't really planned on staying for the whole game, he was scheduled to see a couple of other guys that day as well. There was just something about my son, he said, something that compelled him to stay and watch. They had several converstions after that, but son decided he wasn't going to play....sad iheartbbFrown
Throughout the summer he hit the cages and did long toss - just fun stuff, and when everyone starting talking about leaving for college, the thought of not playing finally struck him...if he went away to the college he planned, he would not be playing baseball....about two weeks later he called the JC coach and was received very enthusiastically. Happy iheartbbSmile
The old saying "Go where you are wanted". That coach wanted him. This is what was meant to be for him, he made the team, did really well in fall ball, will be a two-way player OF/LHP, and he will be PLAYING.
Bottomline is, it sure doesn't happen the same way for everyone, even when you're in the same familySmile It only takes one coach to see the possibilities. Hang in there.
Last edited by iheartbb
quote:
It only takes one coach to see the possibilities. Hang in there.

That is so true.Many players get hung up on the fact that they dont have a lot of schools following them.The world of recruiting is very funny.Once one wants you, sometimes then they all want you.
JC ball is an option.We have discussed it many times.Look up some old threads about JC ball.
JC ball was great for our family.But and a big BUT, like mentioned before some JC s are tough to walk on and play.
If one of the better JC schools is not talking to you, go to a smaller one. Scouts swarm JC ball in Ca. anyway.Can't speak for other states.But I know Arizona, Florida etc. all have great programs as well.
Key: as posted before go where you are wanted.
I am not a recruting expert, but I know for a fact there is NO one better to help your son reach the next level - than YOU!

Notice I wrote help, because he has to continue to produce on the field. Having said that, take a deep breath, formulate a plan and get after it. One thing I am certain of, there will be a place for him to play.

Good LUCK and Git-r-done! GED10DaD
Last edited by GunEmDown10

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.