Skip to main content

@BB and BB posted:

I've always been told that they don't recruit right fielders.

If he plays RF well and has the speed metrics to play center playing right won't kill his chances. Coaches want ballplayers who can hit,  play and have the athleticism to play up the middle positions.

So if he can play and has the athleticism to play center that shouldn't hurt him too much.

On the other hand if he is a fringy runner who doesn't cover enough ground to play college in center he should be fine.

First I apologize if I repeat things discussed earlier in this thread, as I skimmed over the responses.  3-2Fastball did say it best.  I will just chip in my son's own journey.  Be grateful he is playing every day as a starter, position doesn't matter.  The more versatile your son is the bigger his book of experience and value becomes.  In travel ball son played every position, high school he started off as OF then became MI freshman year, where he stayed. D1 college HC told us if he can hit like he has shown, he will find a position for him to play every game.  He became their starting OF from that point on.  Minors converted him back to MI where he had to re-familiarize himself again.  In MLB he played MI, OF, and 1B (no experience since travel ball at 1st).  Point is at each level (or team) they will put you in a position as long as you can hit.  Be versatile and have the correct mind set and you will have a better chance of being successful.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.