Skip to main content

Yesterday was one of those magical days of High School baseball we all dream about when it is cold and there is snow on the ground.
The weather was beautiful- most of us got to slip away from work a litte early and enjoy the competition.

At the game a handful of Dads take up a standing position and watch the game un fold. There is non stop chatter about strategies in tne game, the line up, and an exchange of local baseball gossip. At times work topics or world events come up but generally attenion is quickly turned to the game at hand as someone may ask "would you bunt here or let him swing?" immediately discussion is turned from not as important questions like "should we bomb lybia".
All who stand in these little groups have important roles to play that contribute to the experience....
The communications expert who recieves important text messages and provides the scores of other games going on, the foul ball spotter who seems convinced if they do not bellow "HEADS UP" evrytime a ball is hit foul a terrible tradegdy will take place.
The baseball cliches guy..he has an endless supply of them: "take one for the team"'"not your pitch","way to get ahhead" to name a few that have alreday been heard several times this Spring. I think my personal favorite is"right side middle"
The strategist is hard a work questioning everything from where the outfielders are positioned to who is pitching.
The rule expert who doesnt say much unless consulted when controversary occurs.
Everyone has a role and these groups,although informally form, have operated for years effiecintly may be the best club any of us will ever be a part of.
Yes these are magical times where men retreat into little secret think tank type groups, on warm Spring afternoons, where for a couple of hours the rest of the world gets put on hold, and the important pursuit of baseball is dealt with.
Yes these are magical days many of us live for and savor as we have the great priviledge of participating in days like yesterday
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by hsbasballfan:
Yesterday was one of those magical days of High School baseball we all dream about when it is cold and there is snow on the ground.
The weather was beautiful- most of us got to slip away from work a litte early and enjoy the competition.

At the game a handful of Dads take up a standing position and watch the game un fold. There is non stop chatter about strategies in tne game, the line up, and an exchange of local baseball gossip. At times work topics or world events come up but generally attenion is quickly turned to the game at hand as someone may ask "would you bunt here or let him swing?" immediately discussion is turned from not as important questions like "should we bomb lybia".
All who stand in these little groups have important roles to play that contribute to the experience....
The communications expert who recieves important text messages and provides the scores of other games going on, the foul ball spotter who seems convinced if they do not bellow "HEADS UP" evrytime a ball is hit foul a terrible tradegdy will take place.
The baseball cliches guy..he has an endless supply of them: "take one for the team"'"not your pitch","way to get ahhead" to name a few that have alreday been heard several times this Spring. I think my personal favorite is"right side middle"
The strategist is hard a work questioning everything from where the outfielders are positioned to who is pitching.
The rule expert who doesnt say much unless consulted when controversary occurs.
Everyone has a role and these groups,although informally form, have operated for years effiecintly may be the best club any of us will ever be a part of.
Yes these are magical times where men retreat into little secret think tank type groups, on warm Spring afternoons, where for a couple of hours the rest of the world gets put on hold, and the important pursuit of baseball is dealt with.
Yes these are magical days many of us live for and savor as we have the great priviledge of participating in days like yesterday

Amen!
As one of the "girls" who:

coached Little League, caught balls for pitching practice (and bought catching gear when he started throwing curve balls that were giving me bruises), threw batting practice (and still does some), hit balls for fielding, and (in general) passed on my love for the sport (that is "baseball" not "softball") to my son,

I can truthfully say, it is not all about men Mad

Okay, I feel better now. Just needed to vent.

By the way, you can slot me in there for "Rules Gal". (Sometimes has made for interesting conversations at work with a guy who umps the local games.)
Great Post!
As a player, then a coach, now a father and coach…that post sums up so many high school baseball fields across the country.
So we have:

The Foul Ball Guy
The Rules Guy
The Electronic Communication Guy (or the play-by-play guy via text message and phone)
The Strategy Guy (usually stands right next to the Rule Guy)
The Cliches Guy (In my experience he’s usually a really good buddy of the Foul Ball guy. Since that’s all they have to add to the conversation)
What about:

The Disgruntled Parent?
You know the one. The one (Mom OR Dad) who’s clueless why their baby boy is sitting the bench. Never mind the fact the kid’s position is behind the best kid on the team, or the kid can’ t drive a ball out of the infield, or you can time the kid with a calendar etc. This parent usually talks heavily about the parent below:

The “Connected” Parent:
Not usually a coach. Likes to be involved with the booster club, organizes things. Could be Mom or Dad. If this parent’s child is a good, or better than good player, it’s not an issue for most people. If the kid is average…look out.

The “Stats” Guy:
Although I will admit I’m starting to see more and more women using their smartphone to keep track with some type of program for scoring and stats. Normally this guy can tell the batting average of every kid on the team. Of course this guy gets quiet if his kid is going through a slump. Trying to explain to this guy that batting .600 in 15 at bats is not really much of a sign of anything, is like talking to a wall. Fun to listen to though. Especially when you can see they obviously have to go to the bathroom, but don't want to miss anything.

I’ll admit I’m enjoying my son playing High school ball. Even though he’s an 8th grader and it’s just JV, it’s still nice to actually WATCH a game from outside the fence, as I still coach travel ball.

Although it is fun to watch other parents’ faces (who don’t know me) when my kid does something and I make fun of him. Recently a Dad apparently got offended and said something to another parent, who informed him that I was talking about my own kid. LOL
At just about any field in America all these roles are filled....

How about :

"The Guy From the Other Team"

He usually has some connection with your own team(his son played on a summer team with someone) and ventures to your side of the field to share informaion/compare notes.

If his team is struggling he fills you in on how bad their coach is and may even go so far as to tell you "wish my son was on your team"

At some point something happens in the game making his pesence uncomfortable and he retreats to his own side of the field most likely providing a report to his fellow fans that starts with...."I was just talking to __________ _________ and he said....
Haven't seen this guy listed: "The Coach Questioner."

This guy talks about every decision and move the coach makes during the game, and if the moves don't work, he second-guesses the coach for having made the move. Of course, if the decision works, he falls silent...for a few moments.

This guy can also be known as the "Head Shaker" or the "Ground Scuffler." He usually has never managed a baseball team, or even worse, the last one he did manage was when his own kid was 8 years old.
Here's to you "Mr Old Timer Guy"

You've been sitting in the same spot at every home game since the 70's. You are the go to guy for historical data concerning former players, stats, records and those "you should have been there" stories.

Also...

Here's to you "Mr Announcer Guy"

You've given your life to your home team. You've adjusted from simply announcing names to having to include "walk-up music" without missing a beat. And everyone knows that you know more about the program then most of the coaches, or at least you'll have us believe so.
quote:
Originally posted by ctandc:
Great Post!
As a player, then a coach, now a father and coach…that post sums up so many high school baseball fields across the country.
So we have:

The Foul Ball Guy
The Rules Guy
The Electronic Communication Guy (or the play-by-play guy via text message and phone)
The Strategy Guy (usually stands right next to the Rule Guy)
The Cliches Guy (In my experience he’s usually a really good buddy of the Foul Ball guy. Since that’s all they have to add to the conversation)
What about:

The Disgruntled Parent?
You know the one. The one (Mom OR Dad) who’s clueless why their baby boy is sitting the bench. Never mind the fact the kid’s position is behind the best kid on the team, or the kid can’ t drive a ball out of the infield, or you can time the kid with a calendar etc. This parent usually talks heavily about the parent below:

The “Connected” Parent:
Not usually a coach. Likes to be involved with the booster club, organizes things. Could be Mom or Dad. If this parent’s child is a good, or better than good player, it’s not an issue for most people. If the kid is average…look out.

The “Stats” Guy:
Although I will admit I’m starting to see more and more women using their smartphone to keep track with some type of program for scoring and stats. Normally this guy can tell the batting average of every kid on the team. Of course this guy gets quiet if his kid is going through a slump. Trying to explain to this guy that batting .600 in 15 at bats is not really much of a sign of anything, is like talking to a wall. Fun to listen to though. Especially when you can see they obviously have to go to the bathroom, but don't want to miss anything.

I’ll admit I’m enjoying my son playing High school ball. Even though he’s an 8th grader and it’s just JV, it’s still nice to actually WATCH a game from outside the fence, as I still coach travel ball.

Although it is fun to watch other parents’ faces (who don’t know me) when my kid does something and I make fun of him. Recently a Dad apparently got offended and said something to another parent, who informed him that I was talking about my own kid. LOL

One of my former players who became a head coach locally stated this about "disgruntled parents", he called them the "RedAss Society" as I would be very surprised that nearly ever team does not have a society like that within their group.
Last edited by MILBY
One more.....Mr Special Effects/Sound Bites Guy. Yesterday we were at the JMU / Cornell game in Harrisonburg. The Sound Bites guy at the JMU game was awesome. He had some of the funniest sound bites or outtakes I've ever heard at a baseball game. He had me and many others laughing pretty hard. Here's to you Mr Sound Effects Guy!

Awesome thread and defintely a Golden thread nominee. I'm absolutely guilty of being several guys in one but never a Fence Dweller Guy or Foul Ball Guy....never! I aspire to be the Mr Old Timer Guy who sits in the same spot with the "you should have bee there" stories......

This thread has made me thirsty.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
quote:
I moninate Godwin High School as the "Fence Dwellers Capitol" of the Central Region...on the home side there are guys three deep hanging on the fence throwing out pearls of baseball genius and wisdom!

Crack open a can of ice cold bud! Here's to you Godwin fence dwellers!!

I completely agree with you. If I ever go to a game there, I usually just sit on the visitors side or stand by the press box if there is room.
Love the thread.
I'd suggest a few others at games I've attended.

There is Mr. Real Estate Guy....always shows up 2 hours early with his folding chair and cooler to sit in the spot right behind home plate or right next to the dugout so he can have "the best seat in the house". Most often sits by himself as the rest of the crowd tries to figure out how he gets off work so early to get that same seat a few times a week.

Then there are "those guys" that always sit beyond the outfield fence or away from the crowd. Not sure if they think they are too good for the rest, but really aren't missed by the crowd. The crowd is more mystified as to why game after game someone willingly sits so far away from the action.

Neither of these groups add to the baseball chatter like the rules guy, the cliche guy or the strategy guy, but they always seem to be there come game time.
I used to be one of those who sat "way out there". It was right after my coaching days were done and it was the best way to not coach my son from the stands.

Also had something to do with nerves. I used to pace the dugout when my son pitched. It was a lot easier to enjoy the game from a distance because I was more apart from the action. I have gotten a lot better and can sit on the stands (or stand by them) now. Smile
Let's not forget the "radar gun messenger" guy...who ambles over to the nearest gun for a few moments when "junior" is pitching then strides back to the group quickly with "he's consistently in the 90's and just threw 2 92 mph sliders" or "that gun only showed him at 84 on his fastball but I know he was throwing 93 last week at practice."

And you can't forget the "scout locator/counter" guy who thinks every guy with a college or pro hat on is a scout and points them out to everyone.
I thought of this thread as I was at a game the other day. So I actually looked around. There are a few more groups and differences that I’ve noticed:

There are some parents who cheer differently depending on circumstances.

A young kid on my son’s team recently went from DH to starting 3B. The older kid that is now the DH didn’t seem happy at all when the younger kid hit a RBI double to the gap. But when his son, the DH, hit a can of corn to LF, he was all smiles and clapping. Mentioned something about the “wind” being a factor too..LOL

You can sometimes tell who’s kid isn’t playing vs who’s is, by the intensity or lack of, when they congratulate a hit or a nice play. Sad but true.

The “Back of the Bleachers Guy” – You know him. On the smaller bleacher, they are too cool to sit down. They instead rest their elbows on the last row in the bleachers. Here’s to you.

The “Proud Dad” – If his kid is playing and doing well, he’s talking to everyone. If he’s not playing well or not at all, you’d think he wasn’t even there. Never understood that one either.

What about the “Good Eye” “Way to Watch” camp?
Batter ducks a pitch that would have plunked him…it’s inevitable..wait on it…here it comes.. “Good Eye.” “Way to watch.”
Really?

My travel kids laugh, because when they dodge a pitch I always either say “It’s about BASERUNNERS right?” or “I would say good eye, but that almost hit you.” My kids in the dugout inevitable start up with “Come on…you gotta WEAR that one!!!”
And last but not least..

The “Argue with the Umpire Coach, and doesn’t understand why he doesn’t get calls” guy.
“Where was that one Blue?” “That’s gotta go both ways.”
This same Coach / Guy then can’t understand why all the “close” calls never seem to go his way…..LOL.
This is not one found in very many stands, but I enjoy the teams that have the "chatter guy". He is like an extra infielder as he sits in the bleachers and exorts the home team pitcher with every throw to "hum babe", "show him the dark one", and my favorite, "Hum, pitcher, pitcher, swing!" His reply to what he considers a bad call is to quickly inform the pitcher, "Not your fault, keep firing."
A dieing breed, but a fan to be appreciated.
How about the weather man. He can give you up to the second forecast info, wind direction AND visibility conditions.

"Sun is going to be tough for that Left fielder today"

"Wind is really going to cause some problems today"

"Looks like we will just get this one in before the clouds open up"

"Going to rain around the fourth inning"

"No way we get Fridays' game in"

Oddly, he is right about as often as the TV weather men.
quote:

How about :

He usually has some connection with your own team(his son played on a summer team with someone) and ventures to your side of the field to share informaion/compare notes.

If his team is struggling he fills you in on how bad their coach is and may even go so far as to tell you "wish my son was on your team"

At some point something happens in the game making his pesence uncomfortable and he retreats to his own side of the field most likely providing a report to his fellow fans that starts with...."I was just talking to __________ _________ and he said....

lol, good one. The Liason- diplomat or double agent?
Guilty as charged...at some point I think I've been all of them (excluding the references to the ladies!). I've also coached against several fathers here and had a great time...wouldn't trade any of it, not for a minute. Now that 'Junior' is holding his own...I just like to be 'Happy Father and Team Fan' parent. But I still hate when they lose...almost as much as they do!!!
This is one I haven't read on this thread. How about the grandmother (who BTW never played any sports) who stands directly behind the catcher and ump and proceeds to call balls and strikes. Albeit in a low voice but still calls what she THINKS she sees even though she has cataracts and can't see anything very well! I'm her D-I-L and it drives me absolutely crazy!! I know, relax mom. Easy to say, hard to do. Thanks guys for letting me vent.
quote:
quote:

How about :

OMG..this guy doesn't stop at the high school level. The wife and I drove 800 miles to Orlando last month to watch the younger kid's JUCO team open their season. We arrive at the field in the middle of the first inning of the first game. This is no lie, I haven't even settled in after driving 12 hours and this guy walks up to me and says, "Where ya'll from?" I say, VA Beach, the team is from MD. And the next words out of his mouth were, "Yeah, my kid is on the other team, we got 3 or 4 D1 kids, couple more should go in the draft this year. My kid is the closer." After fifteen minutes of this, he finally walks off and my wife indicates to me, "how do you attract these guys"?
Wow this makes me look back over my 13 years being around the game. How many of these hats have I wore over the years ? We all have our top one or two so I will share mine. I have the extra score book ( its retired and has been replace with the video camera ) BTW we need to had that to the list. You no the guy\gal trying to get that special clip to send to a college coach. LMAO " Guity here" I have ask for that cup full of ice or better yet shown up with that Bubba mug. Did you know you can get 3 cold ones in that thing. Wink Now I am thirsty !!! Its noon somewhere right? Great topic and enjoyed reading this morning.
My least favorite is the mom who shouts out "it's OK - it's not your fault" whenever her kid doesn't get the job done.

That one makes me angry.

The others humor me but these moms (and dads) who think that failure is a bad thing just kill me.

other than that, I am guilty of being the "self policer". Or as I call it - the "personal restraining order". The only place safe during the game is 150 yards from the ears of umps, coaches and the "not your fault" mommys.
I was Scorebook Lady for a while, too. The reason I kept it was to help me keep my mouth shut! I never computed stats. My friend Stat Lady did that. Big Grin

I quit keeping the book due to the dreaded Cellphone Mom. Cellphone Dads are out there, too. Too busy talking on the phone to pay attention to the game. They are only there to watch their son, and don't really care about the game.

"What's the pitch count?"
"What's the score?"
"What inning is it?"

One of the last times I kept a book, a 14 year old 2B popped to third for the last out in a 16U BCS game that Cellphone Mom's son was pitching. We lost. Sitting right behind me, yapping on her phone, she said, "Choke, choke, choke."

I have fantasized ever since about just where on her person I might have placed that scorebook. Big Grin
Last edited by 2Bmom
Has anyone listed the "run for the home run ball MOM". They are the one that thinks someone will steal the HR ball and they will race anyone to get it first. They will cross an 8 lane highway during rush hour or spend the better part of the next two innings looking in the woods, swamp, parking lot or home team dugout for their prize. They are very serious about getting their trophy and their anger will have no mercy for the umpire or coach that allows anyone to throw their ball back into the game. The funny part is that the player has probably hit 20 or more home runs over the years and the ball will just end up in their bat bag or bucket.

Anyway......Here's to you Home Run MOM!
I was coaching a team of 14 year olds once and we were struggling at the plate.
Lots of strike outs looking.
The kids were down and I was too.

We had some "thats OK johnny Moms"

At a practice on day I called the kids together to talk aout our lack of success at the plate.

I asked them as a group "when you strike out and walk bck to the dugout whose voice do you hear fist?"

One kid looked at th ground ad said "my mom's" I asked "what does she say?"

She says...."thats OK you will get it next time"

I paused until they were all lking at me and said "is it REALLY ok?
They all kind of smiled and said ..."not really"

I told those young men that day going forward lets approach every at bat with the goal of making he PITCHER'S mom say "thats OK you will ge him next time."

It was a conversation at 14 they were ready to hear. They seemd to unerstand that year that the hitter/pitcher match up produces a winner and a loser. Alot of that battle is won by who wants it the most!
Couldn't some of the referenced individuals be consolidated into "Cheerleader" - The "Great Hit Guy" who says great hit as the player heads to the dugout after making an out, the "Good Eye, Way to Watch" guy, the "It's Not Your Fault Mom?" Added into that category is the team supporter (not necessarily a parent) who stands behind home plate and encourages the pitcher after each pitch he throws - "good pitch," "just a littler higher," "bring it in a little," "nice drop," etc. Or the sister of "It's Not Your Fault Mom" - "just a loud noisy strike" to the pitcher (when the ball goes over the fence barely foul), "you'll get 'em next time" (when the player strikes out for his third time of the day), "you can do it with two" (when the player has an 0-2 count on him), etc. All of these folks are The Cheerleader.
Fun thread...

I always got a kick out of "Mr.Handicapper Guy".

He's the dad that will tell you all the reasons why his son might struggle before the game starts (especially applicable to pitchers dads Wink).

If the boy does well... then it's, "yeah he really dug down today after having to deal with..."

If the boy struggles... then it's, "yeah, had to expect that after having to deal with..."
Last edited by jerseydad
Best thread I've seen. At our tournament today I took time in between games to notice some of the above assailants, really funny when you know what to look for! Not sure if this has been posted yet but what about the "Dugout Visitor Dad"? You know, the father that trots into the dugout like a coach or calls his son to the fence after every at bat or inning in the field to physically demonstrate what the player did wrong, by getting back into his old playing stance, albeit finishing it off with "great job though."
Did we mention the "video tape every single game in its entirety" Dad?

One of my kid's HS teammates dad did this. He was a fine guy - very into his son's baseball, obviously, but no problem with the guy.

But I always wondered what he does with all that footage.

Maybe when I am 80 I will wish I could watch all of my son's HS baseball games again, and the last laugh will be with him. I'm just not a very good memory chronicler. I have a few dozen at bats of my son's from HS on video, but that is about it.
As a player I have seen the group of LF line dads change, as well as their roles change from LL to HS ball. Here's the lineup of guys we have down the LF line at my HS:

1. The Relief Pitcher Bullpen Warmup Watcher/Evaluater:
This is a dad that stands right behind the bullpen backstop to get the inside scoop on how Lefty's curveball looks today. He also manages to completely distract him from getting his warmups done right.

2. "Right/Don't You Think/Are you following me/Am I seeing this right" Guy:
Another dad who always looks for approval with every comment he makes throughout the game because it's plainly obvious that he can't even dress himself in the morning without feedback from someone else.

3. "Senior Backup Catcher's Dad" Guy:
Just along for one more ride and loves to soak everything in.

4. "News I picked up today from other teams in the league" Guy:
He seems to have more connections than Peter Gammons.

5. 2 dads who think their kids are big stuff because they made varsity so they feel like they need to make appearances down the line even though they have no real value to the function of the operation and their kids ride the pine.

6. Stud 8th grader's dad who will be on varsity next year, but still never misses a game. Likes to soak things in.

7. One former All Star coach, and one former travel coach who coached the core of these kids growing up. These guys have the bulk of the actually decent insight.

8. AND FINALLY... maybe the most important man mentioned on this thread... "The Man":

This is the man's last hoorah, his kid is going to play college ball. The man is the oldest in the group because this is his last kid to go through the school. The man is the staple of the group. He has locked down the group for years now, watching his older boys. Others have come and gone, but the man remains. He knows the most, yet he only speaks when spoken to. He is an observer, not a rah-rah guy. Everyone else in the group look to him for approval when they question calls, coaching moves, AB's, whatever. Everything is run by the man. The players say hi to him before every game. He is friendly enough, but doesn't joke and never smiles. Everyone knows he is in his heaven.
quote:
Originally posted by idahojoe:
As a player I have seen the group of LF line dads change, as well as their roles change from LL to HS ball. Here's the lineup of guys we have down the LF line at my HS

8. AND FINALLY... maybe the most important man mentioned on this thread... "The Man":

This is the man's last hoorah, his kid is going to play college ball. The man is the oldest in the group because this is his last kid to go through the school. The man is the staple of the group. He has locked down the group for years now, watching his older boys. Others have come and gone, but the man remains. He knows the most, yet he only speaks when spoken to. He is an observer, not a rah-rah guy. Everyone else in the group look to him for approval when they question calls, coaching moves, AB's, whatever. Everything is run by the man. The players say hi to him before every game. He is friendly enough, but doesn't joke and never smiles. Everyone knows he is in his heaven.

Great overall list!
On the last one, you know a lot about this guy. I have a feeling this man may have been your grandpa's son... Smile
Did anyone mention "the one-upper?"

You know, the guy who one-ups every situation.

Example - You say, "My son is going to visit (enter any D3 school here) tomorrow"

His reply - "Yeah, the Clemson coach won't leave (enter his son's name here) alone."

Your son just hit his first high school Home Run.

His reaction - "Nice shot. Did you see (enter his son's name here) I think it went 350."
quote:
Originally posted by 1baseballdad:
How about the weather man. He can give you up to the second forecast info, wind direction AND visibility conditions.

"Sun is going to be tough for that Left fielder today"

"Wind is really going to cause some problems today"

"Looks like we will just get this one in before the clouds open up"

"Going to rain around the fourth inning"

"No way we get Fridays' game in"

Oddly, he is right about as often as the TV weather men.

There was a Dad on one of my son's teams in the past...he did this. Announced at post game talks to "wear warmer clothes it's going to be colder than you think", "We will get that game in on Wednesday" etc etc.

We all thought he was just off. Well he was right A LOT.

Turns out he is a REAL weather man.. LMAO
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:
quote:
"Mr Glory Days."

That guy is one of our assistant coaches. Big Grin

LMAO...there goes some of my coffee.

I played a bit of baseball. Got to college...got hurt (not baseball related) couldn't throw anymore. 'Nuff said, end of story.

I've heard more s o b (it censored S-O-B as the word not the abbreviation LOL) stories. And I never realized how many "full rides" have been handed out at D1 colleges over the years LOL

What about the Dad who always talks about how his son hasn't hit his growth spurt yet, or he's always saying the kid is growing like a weed?

It's usually the Dad who's 5'7" and the Mom is even shorter. The kid is as tall as Dad already. Tall mailman maybe?
Last edited by ctandc
quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
Great thread.

Someone mentioned the grandmother calling balls and strikes. How about the 80 something grandfather who in his hard of hearing loud voice, asks "WHY IS #25 IN THE LINEUP HE STINKS". Never fails he will always be sitting within earshot of #25's parents.

Good one! I wanted to to say something about grumpy old men, actually had it written but didn't post it the other day!
We had a grumpy old man and a grumpy old lady, not related, that would loudly criticize every kid but their grandson and friends. ON OUR OWN TEAM! Big Grin
Just remembered one, what about "The HC's Dad"? He is similar to "The Man" described in an earlier post, he has been to every home game for years, and many away. Knows the highs and lows of the program, can detail both great and awful seasons all the way back to the 80's as well as tell you all about the best players to ever come through the program.
Here's to you, Mr. Inappropriate Cheering Guy!

You don't just cheer for the kids on your son's team.

You also cheer, and loudly, against the kids on the opposing team - a complete break of High school etiquette.

You feel it's your job to support your team by 'getting into the heads' of the opposing teams players.

You loudly point out the kids that you think can't make the play - the ones the kids on your son's team should 'hit it to', never thinking for one moment that their parents might be bothered by what you say.

Worst of all, with men on base and the game on the line, you yell something that sounds suspiciously like 'Balk' when the pitcher from the opposing team is in the middle of his motion.

Although you get strange looks throughout the game, you ignore them, for you are in your element!

Mr Inappropriate Cheering Guy!
Last edited by BillBill
Thanks BillBill. You just reminded me about another "Guy" we ran into a few weeks ago at a college game...."the very stoned & very drunk college student that tries to abuse the opponent's left fielder but he SLURS-HIS-SPEECH-GUY".

We learned that at some of the more cereberal Virginia colleges (not the student/college noted above) have students & fans that actually look up an opponent player data on their smart phones and try to carry a conversation on with the opponents left fielder. For example...."Does your Dad have any good ambulance chasing stories?" Much more subtle, and funny IMHO!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
Will kick im another one....
"mr where are they now"
The guy who knows whether or not players played beyound high school, D3-D2-D1-JUCO- got drefted AND. How they are doing down to batti g averages and era stats.
Ususaaly starts a convo with I see johnny smith had. A big day yesterday against UVA Wise....yeah you know he was at Clemson but i knew that wouldnt last...hisndad said he just want to focus on his grades and play ball so he transferred to Bluefield
I haven't seen these two guys yet in this thread, though the thread is so long now I may have missed them:

"The Grounds Crew Guy" - though not allowed at most HS, he's the guy who gets a thrill out of dragging the field or even putting in a last minute infield grass cutting.

"The Seeds Guy" - the guy who enjoy's his sunflower seeds and leaves ample evidence of that in the stands.

I've been guilty of both at one time or another. Love this thread!
quote:
Someone mentioned the grandmother calling balls and strikes.

We played a game a couple of weeks ago on a field with no stands and just a very small area where the fans from both sides sit in folding chairs.

Our lead-off man starts the game off with a sharp single to center and the pitcher's grandmother shouts out 'That's the way to start the game. Good hit!'...

Pitcher's father looks over and says 'Mom, that's the other team'...

Grandma thinks for a second and says...'Well, it was a really good hit...' Smile
quote:
"Hey Jim, can you imagine what Coach Bada$$ would have done to that boy if he had pulled that mess back in our day? Wheeeeeew boy!"

Ah, yes. I know a couple of those guys.

Coach Bada$$ wanted to come out of retirement and applied for our open coaching job a couple of years ago. Someone I know who played against his teams said,

"He's so old school they'd be hatin' life." Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by joemktg:
Since this thread started I've been very self-conscious about what I say and do at the boy's games, lest I become one of those "Guys".

NO WAY! It's great to be one of these guys. They have a passion for the game and they enrich everyone's memories. Be yourself so someone will affectionately write about you some day!
Can't believe this one hasn't been covered yet...

Mechanical Flaw Fixer/Analyst - speaks out loud to the parent or anyone who is willing to listen.

"Needs to get his foot down earlier."
"He's throwing off a closed front side"
"His hands are too low"

OK, so for me personally to get out of that phase Big Grin, I moved to the...

"Talk and joke about anything not related to baseball or son to make sure you're not being "that guy" phase."

Those two were about seven or eight phases ago. I am currently strategizing my next one. Great to have this thread to choose from!

And yes, joemktg, one of my phases was to completely shut up so I was sure not to be any of "those guys". BORING. We're all one of those guys. Just try to be considerate and not too stuck on just yours and enjoy the ride with all the others in the same boat. Understand that everyone is in a different learning phase in the process. The strong emotional bond to your kids can be a wonderful and entertaining spectacle to others .
How about the

"pitcher's dad guy"

You know the one that indicates all the players are out of position well his son is getting shelled!

This thread reminded me of a mother from about 10 years ago who had the "best curveball throwing son" in the beach. She was extremely frustrated because the umpires did not know how to call a curveball for a strike! After about 5 or so comments out of her, I finally ask her if hitting the dirt before the plate made a difference in the eyes of the umpire!
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:
Intensity guy.

"I told my [varsity sophomore] son before the season that he needed to hit over .400 and have a 98% fielding percentage if he wanted to get anywhere in this game. I'm sure you expect the same from your son."

I honestly did not know how to answer.

"Sir, you must be one of those new age, soft parents. Anything less than batting 1.000 and perfect fielding for our Johnny is just not acceptable."

Say it with a straight face and then walk away as if you don't want to associate with someone who has such low standards for their son.
I know Intensity Guy! He was the one who screamed at his 10 year old during game(best all around athlete on the team) that player was embarassing himself and his family when he failed to make a difficult play. His wife attended a championship game alone once and son made a highly uncharacteristic error that allowed what proved to be the other team's winning run to score. Wife's immediate reaction was to turn around to all the parents she knew and say "His father can never ever find out aboout this!" Confused
quote:
"Sir, you must be one of those new age, soft parents. Anything less than batting 1.000 and perfect fielding for our Johnny is just not acceptable."

Big Grin I think I'll try that.

The thing that kills me is that this kid will probably do those things, or come close. But it won't be because his dad told him to!
Last edited by 2Bmom
What about umpire critique guy? I'm not talking about the typical "get in the game blue" guy. I'm talking about the guy who maybe used to be an ump, or saw a training video online or something, and now he knows all the mechanics of umpiring and (of course) ALL the rules. So he spends the game letting everyone know when an ump was out of position or when the infield fly rule was applied incorrectly.
This is a hilarious thread, thanks for starting it hsbaseballfan! After reading through the responses, I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been guilty of being "Mr High School Baseball Watcher" on many occasions. Heck, I didn't think my son's team was going to get their game in yesterday, as it was supposed to rain (Mr. Weather Guy), and yes I went to weather.com to check the status! Cool I've been known to yell heads up more than once on foul balls (Mr. Foulball Guy). Guilty as charged for umpire critique this last tournament (Mr. Umpire QC Guy), however I acknowledged that they were consistently inconsistent both ways! Wink I receive plenty of "what's your score?" texting during league play from a couple dad's (Mr. Text Guy), but they know not to text me if my kid is pitching (Mr. Intensity Guy? Smile). Seeds??? I prefer Spitz, usually Pepper, Dill, or Barbecue flavor (Mr. Seeds Guy). And lastly, my wife and I do have a camera with a Big lense (Mr/Mrs Big Lense Camera guy/gal), and we do share photos with everyone on the team!

If you're on this website posting at all, you're bound to be at least half of the guys that are mentioned on this thread...whether your in Virginia, California or any of the fifty states and Canada...it's all good!
quote:
Originally posted by AntzDad:
Hmmm... never heard of Spitz. All we have here is David.

"Who is DAVID? DAVID was founded in 1926 by David Der Herbedian of Fresno, California."

Yes indeed, but DAVID is old school. I had never heard of Spitz either until a couple years ago when I went on a visit to my mom's house in South Dakota. I bought a half case of various flavors to bring home, and within six months California stores had them in stock. Jim Beam has sunflower seeds too that are pretty good...Yep, call me Mr Seed Guy! Wink
Has anyone mentioned the "NO class guy", you know the guy that his son is the dominating pitcher on the other team. This is the guy that likes to yell "C Yaaa" or "Sit down" after his kid strikes the opposing hitters out ? My guess is that this is the same guy that either played "END" for his baseball team, or perhaps never played @ all !
I was at a game Wednesday (not my son's) standing among several dad/friends in a backstop viewing area several yards away from the field. One has a son that is the runner on second. Pick move to second. I hear "baaaaack" louder than I've ever heard a human voice yell coming from the dad. This came mid-sentence for him... totally drowned out bench yell. I almost dropped my drink. Not another loud sound from him the rest of the game.

A mom from the past - every time son was at bat and made any contact, she would throw out a high pitch euphoric scream of excitement that I've only heard in, well, never mind. Everyone on the block would hear. Never any other cheering (or screams) for anyone else.

"Household Homers"
quote:
Never any other cheering (or screams) for anyone else.

It's interesting. Of course I always pull for my own son to do well, and he invariably does what he does. And of course I'm his biggest fan. WOO HOO Way to go FIVE!!!!

But somehow that makes it that much more fun to pull for the other guys on the team that's around him. Angel, Manny, Tyler, Sam, Fletch, Alex, Justin, Sean, Cody, Zach, James, Kevin, Will!

GOOOOOO BLUUUUEEEE WAAAAAAVE!!!!!!!!! Big Grin
Last edited by 2Bmom
Great thread!

Let me add this few characters:

1)Mr. Positive Guy - I met him this season. His son did great last year and now son had a slow start this season but getting it around. Always cheering for other kids and never changes his demeanor despite his son's initial struggles. Never made excuses for his son and just continued to support the team. Also sees positive things from opposing teams. This is my guy and we need more of this types. I could relate that it's is even harder for a parent to feel their son's agony. Continued positive re-inforcement, parent's love and support and faith helped his kid turn it around.

2) Mr. Classy Guy - Met him this season as well. Dad is RR23JR's teammate in Scout team but we are playing in opposing teams this season. Lefty Son hit a 450ft bomb in RF.Congratulated him and he just smiled and politely said " Thank You, that's his 1st HR of the season."

RR23
absolutley the most fun thread in history of this site

How about Mr. Chain Smoker just out of site/ fringe of the school grounds Guy? It is April and this parent is smoking like Earl Weaver in the 66 World Series. Might need to keep it perspective Dad. It is still just HS baseball.

or Mr. Face Paint for the big game Guy. If this is you, you really have some issues that will require some type of therapy. Face Paint in school colors for a HS baseball game? It really does not get much better/ badder than that in my opion
quote:
Originally posted by VaRHPmom:
Got one from tonight's game (or at least the "almost" game). Lightning Watcher Guy/Gal. This is followed by many irate parents yelling when Blue fails to get the kids off the field after three flashes of lightning accompanied with thunder.

And the first flash was before the game even started!

Shocking! One flash n thunder means get off the field n wait 30 mins for no further flashes! YIKES!
Hey! You've quit talkin' and gone to meddlin' hsbasballfan! I have one of those buttons from son's 9 year old team. BUT, it never leaves my house. I intended to carry it in my pocket during his Senior Night presentation last year but the event was rained out. Son would have KILLED me if I had taken it out of my pocket but I think he secretly likes that I still have it!
All of you dads please allow this mama just a minute of your time. The world is full of folks who want/try to tear all our kids down these days. I think it is my God-given right to build up all kids who at least try to do something with their time other than roam the streets looking for their next hook-up or even worse. I know you didn't intend to turn this into a "soap-box", hsbasballfan but we moms tend to take our boys and girls seriously. Whew, there, I feel better! Now I can get down on level ground again. Have a great day, guys! PLAY BALL!
its OK cabbagedad...we know. We have very broad shoulders from years of being teased Smile
And, even though it wasn't my button, but my last name on the back of my baseball t-shirt, I had a college coach approach me after a game to ask about my son. Sometimes its OK to where identifying stuff...you never know what might happen.
Last edited by cb12
quote:
Originally posted by cb12:
its OK cabbagedad...we know. We have very broad shoulders from years of being teased Smile
And, even though it wasn't my button, but my last name on the back of my baseball t-shirt, I had a college coach approach me after a game to ask about my son. Sometimes its OK to where identifying stuff...you never know what might happen.

Wait a minute... a picture button AND the T-shirt with player last name? You're double dipping!

Sorry, I'm just giving you a bad time too. I did rip on myself earlier in the thread so I feel entitled. Wink

Besides, if it got you a coach asking about your son, I might need to reconsider. Although, if I put my last name on a shirt, no telling who might be asking what.
I think those buttons are cute. I offered to do them for the senior moms on senior night, but no one else liked the idea...

OK, this thread is 8 pages long; can I contribute something original? How about Mr. Used to Be a Travel Baseball Coach? Coached or coached against every kid in the county and loudly gives scouting reports based on what the kid did five years ago.
Oh, oh, oh.....I have another one.

"Mr College Baseball Parent Internet Guy".

You can't make all home/away the games, so you turn on that computer and pay your $6.95 one day for away games. You decide if you will or won't mute the sound because the other team has the worst "homer" announcers (kind of like Susan Waldman or John Sterling). $6.95 is such a deal if you can't be there!
So here's to you HSbasbalfan for starting this off, I've attempted to list them all but I may have missed some.

I've listed most as 'guy's' but thats just in keeping with the theme, no doubt most of these could be gals too!

Get a huge lead off
College Baseball Parent Internet Guy
Used to Be a Travel Baseball Coach
umpire critique guy
High School Baseball Watcher Guy
Weather Guy
Foulball Guy
Umpire QC Guy
Text Guy
Intensity Guy
Seeds Guy
Big Lense Camera guy
NO class guy
Big Mouth Mamma
I told You So guy
baaaaack guy
Positive Guy
Classy Guy
Lightning Watcher Guy
Chain Smoker guy
Face Paint guy
Score Board Monitor guy
Key Man
Dress Like One of the HS Girls Mama (ok,hopefully not a guy)
mrs button with a photograph of her son on it
played for the local coaching legend guy
Mechanical Flaw Fixer/Analyst guy
pitcher's dad guy
Movie Guy
Intensity guy
Injury Eval Guy
One upper guy
Hitter’s Dad Pitch Predictor guy
bullpen watcher guy
grumpy old guy
Inappropriate Cheering Guy
SLURS-HIS-SPEECH-GUY
down the line guy
where are they now guy
Grounds Crew Guy
The Seeds Guy
Seed Coniseur Guy
coach his kid from the stands guy
it's OK - it's not your fault guy
Self-policed guy
Scorebook Lady
Stat lady
Cell phone mom
run for the home run ball MOM
thats OK johnny Moms
Mr Glory Days guy
Great Hit Guy
Good Eye, Way to Watch guy
It's Not Your Fault Mom
The cheerleader guy
The Older I get the Better I was guy
Pumped and Excited Frosh on Varsity Parent guy
Mr.Handicapper Guy
Dugout Visitor guy
video tape every single game in its entirety guy
Relief Pitcher Bullpen Warmup Watcher/Evaluator guy
Right/Don't You Think/Are you following me/Am I seeing this right Guy
Senior Backup Catcher's Dad Guy
News I picked up today from other teams in the league guy
radar gun messenger guy
scout locator/counter guy
flask smuggler guy
Back of the Bleachers Guy
Proud Dad guy
You Can Do It, Gal
Great Hit, Nice Pitch, Guy
I Keep my Own Book Guy
I have my OWN pitch Counter Guy
chatter guy
Concession Stand Boss Lady
weather man guy
physics expert guy
gatorade fetcher right now because water is just not good enough for my kid guy
Great Hit Guy
Signs guy
Mr Old Timer Guy
Mr Announcer Guy
Mr Special Effects/Sound Bites Guy
Fence Dweller Guy
Foul Ball Guy
Mr. Real Estate Guy
The Foul Ball Guy
The Rules Guy
The Electronic Communications Guy
The Strategy Guy
The Cliches Guy
Look Out Guy
Scout spotter guy
umpiring quality control guy
Disgruntled Parent guy
Connected Parent guy
Stats Guy
the Other Team guy
Coach Questioner guy

that's nearly 100.....

Who is the next Here's to you Mr. .... ***. ..... Guy?
Last edited by RedSoxFan21
quote:
some overlap but i count about 60 different "roles" have been identified...just think some guys can move in and out of all 60 over the course of a game!
we have heard from people in VA,CA,RI,Fl,TN,NC, and others.
lets keep going and see if we can get to 100!

how about some fan s in NY,NJ and other states!

Bumping this up to the newest post, another great hsbasblfan move!
We have a designated "College Scout Interceptor Guy". Not sure if he was officially designated but if there is a college scout anywhere in the area you will end up seeing this guy rubbing shoulders with him within two innings. The last game we had a scout there and his son was out sick. Thought he was going to have a cow. He immediately was on the phone to his son telling him to drag himself out of bed to come to the field... (The son stayed in bed)
This has got to be one of the funniest threads I have ever read. Although my son is a 2015, I've seen just about (or been one) every one of these guys/gals over the years during travel ball. Can't wait to see and be one of these guys during HS ball. .

BTW. I'm new to these boards and I look forward to reading and participating...

Who do I talk to, so that a popcorn eating "smiley" can be added? Cool
Last edited by Who's on First?
ok, I had to chime in.....here is one I hear from behind the plate ALL the time....hopefully it hasnt been offered before....

Mr. "Over Coach the Batter" Guy....

"Ok Billy, get set, dig in, head down, chin in, elbow up, bat back, load up, squash the bug, short to the ball, watch the junk, quick bat, trust your hands".....

And then when Billy, throughly confused from all the over coaching, strikes out....

Mr. "Over Coach the Batter" Guy says....ahh Billy you didnt...(insert any of the above)
and another from last night...

"Mr. Wrong Baseball Analogy Guy"

When Billy was hitting:
"C'mon Billy all we need is a can o" corn" (easy fly ball out")

When Billy was pitching:
"C'mon Billy serve one up! (give up a dinger)...

At the end of the inning, the 3rd base coach walked by and said "yea we know...but no one has the heart to tell him"
Hey! thanks for reviving the thread!

heard on the other night from the Over Coach tne Batter Guy...

kid is batting with tywo strikes on him...gets an outside pitch and fouls it of to the right side.

One guy yells "way to fight it off!"
another gguy yells "c'mon, square up and drive the ball"

The new and latest trendy hitting advice to yell is "square up on the ball" iff you havent already herad it...listen for it a field near you this summer!

it might just take the place of "let it get deep on you" that was in a tie last summer with "right side middle" for the batting lesson in tne box award
How about the running family commentary group? They (minimum 3 - have seen as many as 8) sit in the stands and offer running commentary on the plays / opportunities of the particular player they came to watch.
"Oh - well - thats not like Jr. to give up a home run when he pitches",
"This next pitch will be better - what ? - the umpire called that a ball? - it has been a strike in every other game this year",
"Too bad he got out - that was a hard hit grounder - if he keeps his elbow in next time it will be a line drive like he usually hits - Yes, he should remember to keep his elbow in next time."
"Auntie, see how Jr. is the first one on and off the field - that is a sign of respect for the game."
"See how his teammate fielded that ball off to the side - he should watch Jr. play and learn how to field the ball cleanly"
"Gee - I wonder why the stands in this area are not full? They seem to be full in the other areas."
May have been identified by another name, but how about the "Billy Mayes" guy...he's a walking infomercial for his son...he'll move from "guy" to "guy" and tie up any ear that will listen with how good his kid is. It's usually accompanied by how he's not being treated fairly. And usually, his son is not that good.
Mr Projection guy. He can actually see the future. He can watch a kid play and immediatey project his future in the game.

"Yeah he throws hard but with that body he is about as good as he is going to get." The kid throws 88 and is a soph.

"Yeah he is probably a D2 guy." The player is a 14 year old freshman.

"Yeah he throws hard but my son hasn't started shaving yet. Just wait."

And the list goes on and on.
And of course the all time favorite "Mr 2nd Guess everything Guy"

Why in the world did he bunt Jimmy?
Why in the world didn't he bunt Jimmy?

I would hit and run here?
I have no idea why he would hit and run in that situation?

Take him out coach!
Dbl play get turned kid gets out of the inning.
Why did he take him out? He was just getting in a groove?
I'm partial to the sweet couple who never had any interest in sports and have no idea what all the fuss is about.

They want to support their son, so they sit up against the fence in their lawn chairs, but they bring a couple library books, a crossword puzzle, and the latest issue of New Yorker to keep from getting bored.

They try to remember to look up when their son bats, but they're usually too absorbed in their reading to notice. They are grateful when you tell them their son did something good.

They are capable of asking, "Did we win?" after we lost a 12-0 slaughter rule game without having any inkling of the massacre their boy and his team just endured.

They are concerned that baseball is cutting into practice time for the piano.
the "Projection Guy" ...i love that one!

they know the whole process and where evberyone fits!

Lets meet anoyther guys that hangs with the Projection Guy.....

Affter the projection guy states his opinion another guy chimes in and says "what about his grades"...if the grades are 3.0 or better he says "yeah but what about his SAT"

He can explain in great detail the NCAA Clearinghouse criteria

At some point will say "More money in the classroom than on the ballfield"

He usually can tell you all the JUCO and Community College options in the area iff kids grades are down.

Heres to you Mr Grades/Test Score Guy
Overheard a couple have this discussion; "Why does he keep looking down there?" "I think the coach might be trying to tell him something" "How does he expect him to hit when he keeps distracting him like that?" "Why doesn't the coach just walk down & talk to him rather than using his hands like that?" Of course these family friends knew so little they came and sat on the wrong side. The whole exchange was really comical. Here's to all Non-Baseball Friends & Family !!!
Most of these make me smile. Awhile back, coaching my team in a tournament, I was reminded of the dark side. Close game, we are up, top of last inning.

They bring in their hard thrower. He proceeds to give up a double, then hits my pitcher on his foot. The sound was so loud, I swear it sounded like a foul ball. Batter (My player) turns away from pitcher, throws off helmet, obviously in pain. (Kid doesn't have a mean bone in his body). He's hobbling around, one of the other team's parents YELLS out

"BUSH LEAGUE. TOSS HIM OUT."

This is 14U BTW.

As I'm walking over to check on my player...I 'politely' ask the parent if he's ever been hit by a pitch in the foot like that. HE replied with "I Played." I respond with "Okay. You come up here and let the same pitcher hit your foot and see what your initial reaction is."

This got a smile out of the pitcher and several others kids.

Then there is the "Old School" guy...

My pitcher (who plays school ball with the catcher AND the batter at the time) throws a curveball and grunts loudly.

It's a ball. Pitcher is grinning. Batter is grinning. Catcher is laughing.

Coach for the other team gets mad. Calls my pitcher "BUSH LEAGUE. Then proceeds to tell me that my pitcher should get one in his ear hole for that one."

I reminded Casey S. that it was 13U baseball, and asked him to clarify if he was endorsing having his pitchers throw at 13 year old kids.

So I change..

I want BUSH LEAGUE guy added.
You ever wear a major league hat to a HS or College game? Do that and carry along a clip board and a stop watch.

1. You'll probably get in free
2. All eyes will be on you all the time and especially when Johnny does something good.
3. Dad's will start at the bottom bleacher and by the time the 3rd inning rolls around their mysteriously sitting right behind or beside you. Trying to listen to your fake cell phone conversation.
4. The bold one's come right up and ask you if you're a scout and begin to tell you about all the players at this particular game that have the stuff.

It's hilarious. Try it one time!

"I'm partial to the sweet couple who never had any interest in sports and have no idea what all the fuss is about.

They want to support their son, so they sit up against the fence in their lawn chairs, but they bring a couple library books, a crossword puzzle, and the latest issue of New Yorker to keep from getting bored."

You gotta' cut my wife and I some slack Swampboy...we're very particular 'bout which copy we bring.

---"Hey honeybunch...I don't get this one. Ball four? There's clearly only three. See?"

By hsbasballfan (posted March 23, 2011 02:13 PM)

That's me to a T! Not nosy really...more curious. At tournaments when the teams are from far and wide and not familiar with each other there are always questions on each team about the other. That's fertile ground for me.

I listen to the parents on our team...line up all of their questions in my head. Then I go seek out reasonable looking fans from the other team. I usually get all of the answers we're looking for. And their fans almost always get their questions answered too.
    "Where is your team from?"
    "The suburbs of Chicago."
    "Chicago, eh? Get lost!"
    "Don't worry...already am!"
    "Only kidding, of course."
    "Not me. Really...where is the Port-a-John© ?"

After dozens and dozens of encounters over 15 years or so I've never had an experience where afterwards I say to myself "Yikes...I shouldn't have done that!"

Their fans might very well label me as "The Guy From the Other Team", but throughout the years on our team I'm always dubbed "Mr. Ambassador". Our fans are mostly appreciative of the knowledge gained. As am I. I've met some very good and very interesting people on and around the field over the years.

And if I hadn't been "The Guy From the Other Team" we'd still be guessing about each other. No regrets. Because of my present work responsibilities I do not get out much at all. I miss it.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
quote:
ArmyofOne said.....You ever wear a major league hat to a HS or College game? Do that and carry along a clip board and a stop watch.

1. You'll probably get in free
2. All eyes will be on you all the time and especially when Johnny does something good.
3. Dad's will start at the bottom bleacher and by the time the 3rd inning rolls around their mysteriously sitting right behind or beside you. Trying to listen to your fake cell phone conversation.
4. The bold one's come right up and ask you if you're a scout and begin to tell you about all the players at this particular game that have the stuff.

It's hilarious. Try it one time!

Absolutely ArmyofOne!!!! I may substitute a floppy scout hat (with college logo or MLB logo) and carry a radar gun bag/computer bag. It seems all the scouts these days are wearing the floppy hat. Not only will you get in, but you may get something FREE from the concession stand.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
In case you need some help Domingo Ayala can help you learn how to spot a scout. He can also teach you how to play catch in front of them.
He's no semipro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DeqaR4PO8

Domingo came out and spent the day with my son's high school program this year. That's right, he's no semipro! My wife set everything up and coordinated Domingo's appearance. Domingo surprised the team by hopping over the centerfield fence to join the boys in the middle of their stretching. My son was the only player in the program that knew he was coming, and I have to say I was proud he kept the secret...he and his teammates had a blast. Domingo stuck around for stretching, the HR contest, and the Mother/Son game. He was great with the kids. My son's FB profile is him and Domingo with a "serious" baseball pose with a bat on their shoulders...pretty funny! I have video of the entire event, but my annoying laugh is in the background through the majority of the event, and it's rather emabarrassing.

Domingo's parents were also in attendance. My wife spoke with Domingo's father a few different times prior to his appearance and forged a nice relationship. They've exchanged emails a few times since regarding Domingo's upcoming appearances and my son's spring/summer. We've also spoken with Domingo on the phone a couple times to give him advice on liability issues, etc...as I have an insurance agency.

Domingo Ayala is a very bright guy, and I wish him continued success. On another note, one of our esteemed "Old Timer" members son played with Domingo in college...the Baseball World is Small!
Did anyone mention Freezing Kid? I was reminded of him Friday night at the football game. He is the boy, about 10, that is always dressed in a t shirt and basketball shorts, no matter how cold it is. His cheeks are rosy red. His nose is running, but he seems oblivious to the 35 degree temperature. He is having as much fun as anyone else.
quote:
Did anyone mention Freezing Kid?

He's just part of the 'inappropriately dressed for the activity and/or weather' group.

The women in the cocktail dress and heels...

The guy in the sweater vest when it's 105..

Sunglasses at night...

Your fans/parents in the opponent's colors....(we're Tanque Verde, why are you wearing red?)

And the list goes on...
WOLFHOUND GUY.....Doesn’t know the score, can’t tell you who’s pitching or what spot his son hits in the order, but he can pinpoint every halter top and nice pair of legs in the park. On his best days he can rattle off marital status and weekend hangouts. Capable of cracking your ribs as he draws your attention to an attractive late arrival, usually while your son is in the midst of a tough at bat.
quote:
Originally posted by Shelby:
The “Back of the Bleachers Guy” – You know him. On the smaller bleacher, they are too cool to sit down. They instead rest their elbows on the last row in the bleachers. Here’s to you.

Did you ever think that maybe instead of the "Back of the Bleachers Guy" being "too cool" to sit, he is of such an age that after sitting at a job all day, the back aches are more relieved by the stretching that comes from standing rather than sitting?
quote:
Originally posted by WB Reporter:
quote:
Originally posted by Shelby:

Did you ever think that maybe instead of the "Back of the Bleachers Guy" being "too cool" to sit, he is of such an age that after sitting at a job all day, the back aches are more relieved by the stretching that comes from standing rather than sitting?

You can add "Gal" to this and that is exactly why I stand during most of the games. Plus, those bleachers are hard on the back.
NON-STOP EATER GUY....would give Kobayashi a run for his money. Seemingly enjoys a little baseball with his perpetual meal. Routinely polishes off a cheeseburger, nachos deluxe, and soft pretzel before the visiting team pitcher completes his warm-up throws. Strategically saves the polish dog and radioactive pickle for the middle innings. Danger close if you're between him and the concession stand when last call for burgers at half price is announced. Beloved by CONCESSION STAND BOSS LADY, whose profits would soar if only there were more like him.
PROUD VET GUY....stands so ramrod straight during the National Anthem he could crack walnuts between his cheeks. Stares transfixed at Old Glory and won't break his communion until at least two full seconds after the last note. Known to cast a withering glare at anyone who fails to remove their cover or talks above a whisper.

Disclaimer: I'm a retired vet and a pretty good fit for this caricature.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.