Skip to main content

ok, I had to chime in.....here is one I hear from behind the plate ALL the time....hopefully it hasnt been offered before....

Mr. "Over Coach the Batter" Guy....

"Ok Billy, get set, dig in, head down, chin in, elbow up, bat back, load up, squash the bug, short to the ball, watch the junk, quick bat, trust your hands".....

And then when Billy, throughly confused from all the over coaching, strikes out....

Mr. "Over Coach the Batter" Guy says....ahh Billy you didnt...(insert any of the above)
and another from last night...

"Mr. Wrong Baseball Analogy Guy"

When Billy was hitting:
"C'mon Billy all we need is a can o" corn" (easy fly ball out")

When Billy was pitching:
"C'mon Billy serve one up! (give up a dinger)...

At the end of the inning, the 3rd base coach walked by and said "yea we know...but no one has the heart to tell him"
Hey! thanks for reviving the thread!

heard on the other night from the Over Coach tne Batter Guy...

kid is batting with tywo strikes on him...gets an outside pitch and fouls it of to the right side.

One guy yells "way to fight it off!"
another gguy yells "c'mon, square up and drive the ball"

The new and latest trendy hitting advice to yell is "square up on the ball" iff you havent already herad it...listen for it a field near you this summer!

it might just take the place of "let it get deep on you" that was in a tie last summer with "right side middle" for the batting lesson in tne box award
How about the running family commentary group? They (minimum 3 - have seen as many as 8) sit in the stands and offer running commentary on the plays / opportunities of the particular player they came to watch.
"Oh - well - thats not like Jr. to give up a home run when he pitches",
"This next pitch will be better - what ? - the umpire called that a ball? - it has been a strike in every other game this year",
"Too bad he got out - that was a hard hit grounder - if he keeps his elbow in next time it will be a line drive like he usually hits - Yes, he should remember to keep his elbow in next time."
"Auntie, see how Jr. is the first one on and off the field - that is a sign of respect for the game."
"See how his teammate fielded that ball off to the side - he should watch Jr. play and learn how to field the ball cleanly"
"Gee - I wonder why the stands in this area are not full? They seem to be full in the other areas."
May have been identified by another name, but how about the "Billy Mayes" guy...he's a walking infomercial for his son...he'll move from "guy" to "guy" and tie up any ear that will listen with how good his kid is. It's usually accompanied by how he's not being treated fairly. And usually, his son is not that good.
Mr Projection guy. He can actually see the future. He can watch a kid play and immediatey project his future in the game.

"Yeah he throws hard but with that body he is about as good as he is going to get." The kid throws 88 and is a soph.

"Yeah he is probably a D2 guy." The player is a 14 year old freshman.

"Yeah he throws hard but my son hasn't started shaving yet. Just wait."

And the list goes on and on.
And of course the all time favorite "Mr 2nd Guess everything Guy"

Why in the world did he bunt Jimmy?
Why in the world didn't he bunt Jimmy?

I would hit and run here?
I have no idea why he would hit and run in that situation?

Take him out coach!
Dbl play get turned kid gets out of the inning.
Why did he take him out? He was just getting in a groove?
I'm partial to the sweet couple who never had any interest in sports and have no idea what all the fuss is about.

They want to support their son, so they sit up against the fence in their lawn chairs, but they bring a couple library books, a crossword puzzle, and the latest issue of New Yorker to keep from getting bored.

They try to remember to look up when their son bats, but they're usually too absorbed in their reading to notice. They are grateful when you tell them their son did something good.

They are capable of asking, "Did we win?" after we lost a 12-0 slaughter rule game without having any inkling of the massacre their boy and his team just endured.

They are concerned that baseball is cutting into practice time for the piano.
the "Projection Guy" ...i love that one!

they know the whole process and where evberyone fits!

Lets meet anoyther guys that hangs with the Projection Guy.....

Affter the projection guy states his opinion another guy chimes in and says "what about his grades"...if the grades are 3.0 or better he says "yeah but what about his SAT"

He can explain in great detail the NCAA Clearinghouse criteria

At some point will say "More money in the classroom than on the ballfield"

He usually can tell you all the JUCO and Community College options in the area iff kids grades are down.

Heres to you Mr Grades/Test Score Guy
Overheard a couple have this discussion; "Why does he keep looking down there?" "I think the coach might be trying to tell him something" "How does he expect him to hit when he keeps distracting him like that?" "Why doesn't the coach just walk down & talk to him rather than using his hands like that?" Of course these family friends knew so little they came and sat on the wrong side. The whole exchange was really comical. Here's to all Non-Baseball Friends & Family !!!
Most of these make me smile. Awhile back, coaching my team in a tournament, I was reminded of the dark side. Close game, we are up, top of last inning.

They bring in their hard thrower. He proceeds to give up a double, then hits my pitcher on his foot. The sound was so loud, I swear it sounded like a foul ball. Batter (My player) turns away from pitcher, throws off helmet, obviously in pain. (Kid doesn't have a mean bone in his body). He's hobbling around, one of the other team's parents YELLS out

"BUSH LEAGUE. TOSS HIM OUT."

This is 14U BTW.

As I'm walking over to check on my player...I 'politely' ask the parent if he's ever been hit by a pitch in the foot like that. HE replied with "I Played." I respond with "Okay. You come up here and let the same pitcher hit your foot and see what your initial reaction is."

This got a smile out of the pitcher and several others kids.

Then there is the "Old School" guy...

My pitcher (who plays school ball with the catcher AND the batter at the time) throws a curveball and grunts loudly.

It's a ball. Pitcher is grinning. Batter is grinning. Catcher is laughing.

Coach for the other team gets mad. Calls my pitcher "BUSH LEAGUE. Then proceeds to tell me that my pitcher should get one in his ear hole for that one."

I reminded Casey S. that it was 13U baseball, and asked him to clarify if he was endorsing having his pitchers throw at 13 year old kids.

So I change..

I want BUSH LEAGUE guy added.
You ever wear a major league hat to a HS or College game? Do that and carry along a clip board and a stop watch.

1. You'll probably get in free
2. All eyes will be on you all the time and especially when Johnny does something good.
3. Dad's will start at the bottom bleacher and by the time the 3rd inning rolls around their mysteriously sitting right behind or beside you. Trying to listen to your fake cell phone conversation.
4. The bold one's come right up and ask you if you're a scout and begin to tell you about all the players at this particular game that have the stuff.

It's hilarious. Try it one time!

"I'm partial to the sweet couple who never had any interest in sports and have no idea what all the fuss is about.

They want to support their son, so they sit up against the fence in their lawn chairs, but they bring a couple library books, a crossword puzzle, and the latest issue of New Yorker to keep from getting bored."

You gotta' cut my wife and I some slack Swampboy...we're very particular 'bout which copy we bring.

---"Hey honeybunch...I don't get this one. Ball four? There's clearly only three. See?"

By hsbasballfan (posted March 23, 2011 02:13 PM)

"The Guy From the Other Team"

That's me to a T! Not nosy really...more curious. At tournaments when the teams are from far and wide and not familiar with each other there are always questions on each team about the other. That's fertile ground for me.

I listen to the parents on our team...line up all of their questions in my head. Then I go seek out reasonable looking fans from the other team. I usually get all of the answers we're looking for. And their fans almost always get their questions answered too.
    "Where is your team from?"
    "The suburbs of Chicago."
    "Chicago, eh? Get lost!"
    "Don't worry...already am!"
    "Only kidding, of course."
    "Not me. Really...where is the Port-a-John© ?"

After dozens and dozens of encounters over 15 years or so I've never had an experience where afterwards I say to myself "Yikes...I shouldn't have done that!"

Their fans might very well label me as "The Guy From the Other Team", but throughout the years on our team I'm always dubbed "Mr. Ambassador". Our fans are mostly appreciative of the knowledge gained. As am I. I've met some very good and very interesting people on and around the field over the years.

And if I hadn't been "The Guy From the Other Team" we'd still be guessing about each other. No regrets. Because of my present work responsibilities I do not get out much at all. I miss it.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
quote:
ArmyofOne said.....You ever wear a major league hat to a HS or College game? Do that and carry along a clip board and a stop watch.

1. You'll probably get in free
2. All eyes will be on you all the time and especially when Johnny does something good.
3. Dad's will start at the bottom bleacher and by the time the 3rd inning rolls around their mysteriously sitting right behind or beside you. Trying to listen to your fake cell phone conversation.
4. The bold one's come right up and ask you if you're a scout and begin to tell you about all the players at this particular game that have the stuff.

It's hilarious. Try it one time!

Absolutely ArmyofOne!!!! I may substitute a floppy scout hat (with college logo or MLB logo) and carry a radar gun bag/computer bag. It seems all the scouts these days are wearing the floppy hat. Not only will you get in, but you may get something FREE from the concession stand.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
In case you need some help Domingo Ayala can help you learn how to spot a scout. He can also teach you how to play catch in front of them.
He's no semipro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DeqaR4PO8

Domingo came out and spent the day with my son's high school program this year. That's right, he's no semipro! My wife set everything up and coordinated Domingo's appearance. Domingo surprised the team by hopping over the centerfield fence to join the boys in the middle of their stretching. My son was the only player in the program that knew he was coming, and I have to say I was proud he kept the secret...he and his teammates had a blast. Domingo stuck around for stretching, the HR contest, and the Mother/Son game. He was great with the kids. My son's FB profile is him and Domingo with a "serious" baseball pose with a bat on their shoulders...pretty funny! I have video of the entire event, but my annoying laugh is in the background through the majority of the event, and it's rather emabarrassing.

Domingo's parents were also in attendance. My wife spoke with Domingo's father a few different times prior to his appearance and forged a nice relationship. They've exchanged emails a few times since regarding Domingo's upcoming appearances and my son's spring/summer. We've also spoken with Domingo on the phone a couple times to give him advice on liability issues, etc...as I have an insurance agency.

Domingo Ayala is a very bright guy, and I wish him continued success. On another note, one of our esteemed "Old Timer" members son played with Domingo in college...the Baseball World is Small!
Did anyone mention Freezing Kid? I was reminded of him Friday night at the football game. He is the boy, about 10, that is always dressed in a t shirt and basketball shorts, no matter how cold it is. His cheeks are rosy red. His nose is running, but he seems oblivious to the 35 degree temperature. He is having as much fun as anyone else.
quote:
Did anyone mention Freezing Kid?

He's just part of the 'inappropriately dressed for the activity and/or weather' group.

The women in the cocktail dress and heels...

The guy in the sweater vest when it's 105..

Sunglasses at night...

Your fans/parents in the opponent's colors....(we're Tanque Verde, why are you wearing red?)

And the list goes on...
WOLFHOUND GUY.....Doesn’t know the score, can’t tell you who’s pitching or what spot his son hits in the order, but he can pinpoint every halter top and nice pair of legs in the park. On his best days he can rattle off marital status and weekend hangouts. Capable of cracking your ribs as he draws your attention to an attractive late arrival, usually while your son is in the midst of a tough at bat.
quote:
Originally posted by Shelby:
The “Back of the Bleachers Guy” – You know him. On the smaller bleacher, they are too cool to sit down. They instead rest their elbows on the last row in the bleachers. Here’s to you.

Did you ever think that maybe instead of the "Back of the Bleachers Guy" being "too cool" to sit, he is of such an age that after sitting at a job all day, the back aches are more relieved by the stretching that comes from standing rather than sitting?
quote:
Originally posted by WB Reporter:
quote:
Originally posted by Shelby:
The “Back of the Bleachers Guy” – You know him. On the smaller bleacher, they are too cool to sit down. They instead rest their elbows on the last row in the bleachers. Here’s to you.

Did you ever think that maybe instead of the "Back of the Bleachers Guy" being "too cool" to sit, he is of such an age that after sitting at a job all day, the back aches are more relieved by the stretching that comes from standing rather than sitting?

You can add "Gal" to this and that is exactly why I stand during most of the games. Plus, those bleachers are hard on the back.
NON-STOP EATER GUY....would give Kobayashi a run for his money. Seemingly enjoys a little baseball with his perpetual meal. Routinely polishes off a cheeseburger, nachos deluxe, and soft pretzel before the visiting team pitcher completes his warm-up throws. Strategically saves the polish dog and radioactive pickle for the middle innings. Danger close if you're between him and the concession stand when last call for burgers at half price is announced. Beloved by CONCESSION STAND BOSS LADY, whose profits would soar if only there were more like him.
PROUD VET GUY....stands so ramrod straight during the National Anthem he could crack walnuts between his cheeks. Stares transfixed at Old Glory and won't break his communion until at least two full seconds after the last note. Known to cast a withering glare at anyone who fails to remove their cover or talks above a whisper.

Disclaimer: I'm a retired vet and a pretty good fit for this caricature.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.