It's looking like this is the first year in 10 that I might not be coaching, and I'm getting the itch to be " Radar Gun Dad". This would be a highly hypocritical thing to do, because I'm known for my anti-speed gun rants and how it is ruining the art of pitching, but..still...a radar gun...how cool is that? Next best thing to a ray gun! I could wear straw hats and my Batik shirts, too!

57special posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
57special posted:

A hideous variation of "Screamer Mom" is "Clapper Lady", who uses clappers to augment her bone chilling screeches. She, of course, sits right behind first base, where I am usually coaching. 

Does she know cowbell mom?  

Oh God, I had forgotten...started to get cold sweats, here.

Then there are the parent rooting sections where they all come dressed up in team colors, are annoyingly positive, and chant , "Players Name!" Clap..clap.. clap ,clap ,clap,   when they do anything at all of note.

Go join a cult already.

So what if I paint my face?  Got to support the team.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67oHmXBLzII

Ha - the annual who are you string surfacing again on opening day.  A tradition of spring like a thud of the ball hitting a glove or a ping off the bat.

Face painting wasn't even a thing when this thread started 7 years ago next week.  It probably still shouldn't be.  Or maybe I am just getting old and crabby....

Mr. Pitch Caller is my personal nightmare...finds me and sits next to me every game, then whisper's what the pitch should be just before it is thrown. If he's wrong, coach is not thinking it through. If he's correct, the smug meter hits level 10. I now walk around during the game.

Dropped in on the Flint Hill game at Collegiate Saturday.  Jayson Werth's son plays for Flint Hill, and he was there.

I am pleased to report that JW watches the games with a very calm demeanor, chats with other team parents, and yells never.

This from a guy who probably knows, well, EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW.

If he can do it, you can too!

Midlo Dad posted:

Dropped in on the Flint Hill game at Collegiate Saturday.  Jayson Werth's son plays for Flint Hill, and he was there.

I am pleased to report that JW watches the games with a very calm demeanor, chats with other team parents, and yells never.

This from a guy who probably knows, well, EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW.

If he can do it, you can too!

Still with the flow?

My son HATES when I cheer, yell or clap for him- so I don't  but then I feel like a bad parent. I have made a small 8x11 sign that says "That's my boy!" and his number,  he says that's alright. But it is so hard not to cheer along with the other parents, so I kind of follow suit- if they are yelling for a boy (I join in) but not obnoxiously.

I did tell him that all bets are off when he hits a HOMERUN!

meads posted:

My son HATES when I cheer, yell or clap for him- so I don't  but then I feel like a bad parent. I have made a small 8x11 sign that says "That's my boy!" and his number,  he says that's alright. But it is so hard not to cheer along with the other parents, so I kind of follow suit- if they are yelling for a boy (I join in) but not obnoxiously.

I did tell him that all bets are off when he hits a HOMERUN!

My son used to hate as well. Made him feel self-conscience. That is until he got to College. We did not see him as often. his team mates appreciated the cheering as well. I cheered for all those who made good plays got a hit whatever positive contributions they made. 

When his teammates asked who it was, in hs he would just keep his mouth shut. In college he proudly told them it was his Dad. Brought a tear to my eye when I heard it.  It eventually became a comfort for him. It allowed him to know we were there. (probably because he knew that meant a free meal. )

Russ,

Some interesting styling from JW these days.  Still flowing from the top, full beard, but shaved on the sides and back of his head. 

I won't be rocking that look myself, I don't think I could pull that off.  In fact I know I'm physically incapable of growing the beard.

P.S.

In fairness, I should say that when my own son played, I was not so zen myself.  Not as bad as many, but games were definitely life and death for me!  It's so much easier to watch, or even coach in, a game where you have no son involved.  In fact, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys seeing a great game at a cheap price and with low stress.

Add Reply