Skip to main content

As far as how I'd rank Headfirst, Showball, and Stanford, I'd say Headfirst easily had the most coaches (65) there but was also the most draining,  2019 was not good at walking up to coaches and letting them know his genuine interest.  Annoyed me no end.  In his defense, though, sometimes the coaches were hard to find, even though they were supposed to be available.

Showball was special because 2019 did relatively well, and the meet and greet, while it could have been longer, was easier for the kids to handle.  Safety in numbers as they have all the kids and all the coaches in a corner of the outfield and they turn them loose.  2019 got more done in those 20 minutes than he did at the entire Headfirst event.

Stanford was good because you play games that seem more leisurely, more baseball like than at the other two events.  His coach, while from a school he wouldn't choose to go to, went out of his way to tell 2019 he was keeping an eye on him for ANOTHER coach at a school 2019 thinks he would be very happy at.  Very encouraging guy in other ways, too.  The stadium is very nice, especially for a kid used to playing HS games in Hawaii.  The drills are good, and the promised stats and film clips should be illuminating.  The third game, at the nearby HS, was underwhelming, as far as coaches in attendance, BUT two assistants at schools he's interested in were among the only coaches there and they both greeted him as he left.  He also hit the hardest ball of his week at that game.

So, tough to really rank because they all had strengths and weaknesses.  Our big goal was exposure to schools he was interested in, which is why he went to all three.  But, he might have been just as successful going to two out of three.  In that case, with convenience in mind, and other costs being relatively the same, if I were to do it again, I'd drop Headfirst, and keep Showball and Stanford.

Thanks for reading and happy 4th (still daylight here) and may the Gods of Baseball bless each and every one of our kids in the coming weeks and months!

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

JYNY posted:

Does anyone know how the PG West Academic Showcase case compares?  I don't see anything recent on the forum about the PG Academic showcase.   PG doesn't list coaches attending but advertises more on PG rankings.

I didn’t see any coaches at last year’s event’s games—maybe some were there for skill drills. A player on our team was visiting Caltech after the event but the coach was a no-show. Most important is the unbiased scouting report IMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.