Skip to main content

There are a lot of variables here. Coaches want to win. But depending on the team, HS baseball is a game where you can win the majority without always putting your best players on the field. In all of youth sports, there is often a gap between reality and the parents’ perceptions of their kids’ abilities/work ethic/contributions to the team. There are also coaches who prefer certain types of players in certain positions. Finally, there are a lot of amazing coaches with both a love of their players and a deep knowledge of the game; there are coaches who are well-intentioned but are learning as they go along and make mistakes that don’t make sense from the outside but are not malicious; and there are coaches whose egos are bigger than their concern for their players or who truly have a blind spot for certain players. We have been lucky enough to live in the first two places the majority of our sons career but we have experienced the later.  There is value in playing through all types of coaches as there are lessons in each situation but there are times where change may be warranted.

Last edited by PTWood

At the first high school I attended I played for head coaches in football, basketball and baseball who had been around so long they were assistants when my father played. They had old school ideas about how to play the game and motivation. All three were anti Semites. One of them actually said out loud, “I can’t believe EWM married a Jew and had a little Jew boy” to my face. I spent that year mumbling FU to myself a lot. But I didn’t let it get in my way of enjoying each sport and being successful. It just made me tougher. I didn’t quit. By chance I moved.

It made my first job out of college a lot easier when I went to work for a manager who didn’t realize it was 1978 and not 1945. I was so excited to receive an offer from the (then) #1 corporation in the world I didn’t notice my final interview was with a complete arsehole (the guy I would be reporting to).

When I started an MBA program at night he threatened me not to get smart and quit on him. I did. I didn’t need an MBA to be smart enough to decide I had enough of drill instructor style verbal abuse. A few years later he was offered early retirement when it was discovered his last six successful hires all left the company within three years of starting. The world had changed on this guy. He didn’t. He was a hire the vet, post WWII hire without a college degree forced to hire all college graduates with at least a 3.2 gpa.

One of the great responses to this arse came from a friend. After making a mistake the manager asked him how long he had worked here. His response, “Too effing long!” He scaled his notebook at his desk and kept going. He went home, typed his resignation and returned in the morning.

After this big time corporation purchased two companies I went to work for (It was like the Twilight Zone. I couldn’t escape.) and injecting the same corporate mentality ** I started my own company with two partners. Sometimes being uncomfortable can push you in the direction of the best decision you can make in your life.

** Imagine working for a Silicon Valley startup that had keggers Friday afternoon and you’re purchased by the stiffest corporation in the world. They come in and changes all the rules. Imagine going from Friday afternoon keggers to faux champagne at Christmas parties.

Hit’s school sports is just training for future realities. But if you want a real wake up call join the military.

Last edited by RJM

RJM I did not have to "join". They drafted my ass before I was done with college. Brought a bus to Iowa City over Easter Break so we could get our physicals. The antiwar riots were on in IC and building burned and recruiters car blown up. They loved seeing us in the ARMY>

A very different atmosphere than college. And they could hit you then!

Venting is a good thing! I just wanted to make a few points to others on here that may fall into a situation like ours. #1, You do not need to play varsity or have any involvement from HS coaches to get committed. #2, There are plenty of good HS coaches out there that do right by players, but just as many that do not need to coach. #3, A good legit showcase team is well worth the money. #4, Hs is no where as important as college baseball. #5, Learn that life is not fair all the time and just work hard doing the right things.

The draft ended when I entered my senior year of high school. I missed out on all the fun. One of my friend’s older brother returned really messed up. He was in a forward position. He came home throwing rocks thinking they were hand grenades.

We all want life to be fair all the time. But, a kid coming home from war effed up makes whining about high school sports seem trite.

When I see a kid in a wheelchair I think of whining sports parents and think, “This is what’s not fair.”

@pdogg1 posted:

Venting is a good thing! I just wanted to make a few points to others on here that may fall into a situation like ours. #1, You do not need to play varsity or have any involvement from HS coaches to get committed. #2, There are plenty of good HS coaches out there that do right by players, but just as many that do not need to coach. #3, A good legit showcase team is well worth the money. #4, Hs is no where as important as college baseball. #5, Learn that life is not fair all the time and just work hard doing the right things.

I think it depends where you are from. In Florida, where I live,  a red flag may go up if the player is strongly committed to a top program and never played varsity.  And yes, a good legit tournament/showcase team is a plus.

And correct, life isn't always fair.

@TPM posted:

I think it depends where you are from. In Florida, where I live,  a red flag may go up if the player is strongly committed to a top program and never played varsity.  And yes, a good legit tournament/showcase team is a plus.

And correct, life isn't always fair.

Curious: is the red flag for the player, or for the HS team/coach? Around here, it would be unfathomable for that sort of player to not be V (and often from 9th grade).

Even being a D1 commit can't beat out money and donations to the booster's. In some towns, its's about your last name and standing in the community. It hurts some parents and players alike when a kid that does not come from money and does not have a community family comes up and makes a names for himself without the HS coach ever being involved. They all ask why a kid that never got to play varsity at all, can commit before their kid that has been the coaches and community's favorite for years. There are alot of hurt ego's in HS for parents and players. Just have the kids keep working and doing their thing, not worrying about everyone else. Good things come to the one's that deserve it.

The HS coach wanted to be the judge and jury as to who get recruited on his team. When a HS player commits thru his club and leaves the HS coach off the contact info, the player will pay dearly for bruising the HS coach’s precious ego. That’s reality. The only college recruit on a HS team isn’t benched for his ability. It goes far deeper than that. It’s personal.

The season was torture for me and my wife, but it had nothing to do with what goes on inside the fence. We have 2 or 3 of the worst examples of human beings you could ever imagine as parents. On several occasions we were embarrassed to be sitting by them. On several occasions they tried to fight other parents.... ON OUR TEAM! On several occasions one tried to fight umpires walking to their cars.

I’m not sure why one of them is even allowed to attend games at this point. A few other parents want to talk with the head of school and AD before the next season.

@Dadof3 posted:

Just curious, anyone notice a bad level of competition this year?  Not sure if I got spoiled by varsity hs baseball but 16u teams we faced this year aren’t good..,,

The 16u team I coached (with all 15u and 14u players) would have beat a majority of high school varsity teams. The teams they wouldn’t have beaten were teams with junior and senior pitchers headed for D1 programs.** Five players ultimately played D1. All the rest except one played college ball at D2 or D3s. He could have played college ball. He chose to play college basketball.

** In the fall after 14u I had them play in a local 17u tournament. We split four games. We got no hit in one. I remember laughing when our lead off kid returned to the dugout mumbling, “That’s some nasty shite.” We got no hit that game.

Last edited by RJM
@Dadof3 posted:

Just curious, anyone notice a bad level of competition this year?  Not sure if I got spoiled by varsity hs baseball but 16u teams we faced this year aren’t good..,,

Related...or maybe not related...by us, what I noticed a lot was kids who aren't committed, probably never going to play in college, and who either don't play travel baseball or play only on a local and not strong travel team, having good high school seasons or some really big games. Not sure if that's because the competition is watered down or if it is something else? But I have lost count on how many times this year I have thought things like "How come no one has ever heard of this kid?" or "He went 4 for 4?" or stuff like that...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.