Skip to main content

This is my Spring surprise to our Webster family.

A REAL picture of TRHit. Circa (a while ago - LOL)
The man you love to hate - or the man you love to love.

I kid you not - this is him.

A hunka hunka burning love:

You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. ~Jim Bouton, Ball Four, 1970
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Having seen a more recent photo of TR, and knowing a little about his rock-n-roll background, I believe that this really is a photo of our own TRHit. It looks like he was with a band at the time...notice the same shirt on guy sitting next to him.

I would love to hear the story behind the photo (even if you won't tell us what year it was taken)!
quote:
Originally posted by MN-Mom:
Having seen a more recent photo of TR, and knowing a little about his rock-n-roll background, I believe that this really is a photo of our own TRHit. It looks like he was with a band at the time...notice the same shirt on guy sitting next to him.

I would love to hear the story behind the photo (even if you won't tell us what year it was taken)!

It says "The Spirit" on the box he's leaning on.

Wouldn't be Spirit well known for "I Got A Line On You"????
I sent this picture off to a friend of mine at NASA for enhancement and evaluation and he sent it back and said it is either a person going to a halloween party as a swashbuckling pirate with a VERY close male friend ----OR------ it is a used boat salesman from one of the “you work you float” marinas of the late 50’s or early 60’s.
Oh. My. Gawd.

Dude,...you stud music muffin you!
( Ummmmmm,.....is it me or do I detect a no-nonsense attitude even back then??? ) Big Grin

It's as if he was saying " H-E-*-* yeah I look good. And yes, as a matter of fact those ARE giant two inch polka dots on my pirate shirt. Got a problem with that? Get over it. Next question,.....and you better do you homework. Dont make it a stupid one,..... hun! "

TR,..you have been a really good sport with all of this.
....but I wont say thank you, cause I don't wanna make ya mad.
And I wont apologize for posting your picture a second time up on the board either, cause I meant to do it, I own my actions, and that's the bottom line. Wink

Last edited by shortstopmom
quote:
Originally posted by FormerObserver:
its, I don't understand why ya'll cropped TPM out of the picture.

TR was playin' at one of Bubba's Baseball Bonanza showcase's in 10EC just about the same time the hsbaseballweb was formed.

TR and TPM had just met.

its, Fungo, and Coach May all told me about it a long time ago.

FO,

Didn't hit 10EC until 2005, no one there looked at all like the above.

You must have have been exposed to too much Arizona sun. Cool
Couldn't sleep and the wife is watching John Adams so lets go with it here

THE SPIRIT---we talk about timing and "luck" in baseball -- well let me tell you about the music business--I was a few years out of college and formed a band to play local gigs in the area---this is when the club scene in the NYC area was hot--one night coming home a gentlemen in the elevator in my apartment building with me ,begins talking and says " I hear you have a pretty decent band. My writing partner and I would like to come and hear you in a rehearsal"---It turned out that he was a co writer with Bobby Vinton on a number of Vinton's hit songs. Now he was teamed with the young man who was the voice of The Archies and they worked under the unbrella of a firm run by gentleman who was one of the Strangeloves ( I want Candy, Night time) and also produced and write the big hits for the McCoys---
I told him "sure cmon down"

Well they did and next thing knew we had a contract and were in the studio in about two weeks---NOW COMES THE GREAT BASEBALL ANALOGY--- we cut the record and we have a deal on a major label--back them "Murray the K" was the big dj in the NYC region what with his "Submarine Watching" bit on his show---one evening just after the recordwas released I get a phone call from the record company to meet Murray in the studio that as he goes off the air--Murray has our record as PICK OF THE WEEK---Good gosh--we are off and running---I bring the record in--met Murray- and head home with my head in the clouds---the following morning Murray is nailed in the payola scandal---yours truly now has no PICK OF THE WEEK---DUH !!!!! I always wonder what my life might have been, not that I am complaining--As my wife says I would probably never met her if the record as a hit--- But we continued on--the record was a smash on college radio and a number of markets around the country--great fun--we did shows around the NYC with the WMCA Goodguys---we opened shows for The Moody Blues, The Blues Magoos etc.

That was it for the group--I ended going out on my own as a performer and as a writer producer-- on stage I was a opening act for acts in the city--some of you might remember MONTE ROCK III--I opened for him numerous times--

On the producing end we were doing things had one hit wonders one of which made Top Ten---but had the good fortune to meet some great people and work with them-- just to name a few who worked with us in the studio--Rick Derringer, The Belmonts, The Voice of the Archies (Ron Dante), Jeff Beck and so on.

People who I had the pleasure of meeting: Joe Cocker ---when he had the Mad Dogs and the Englishmen and I was working for the same label as he I was invited to one of his shows-- when I arrived I was brought upstairs to his dressing room to meet him and who was there, none other than Bob Dylan---and Cocker says to me "Cmon with us you are going on stage with us for the show tonight" so there I was as part of the Mad Dogs and The Englishmen on stage with Dylan, Cocker, Leon Russell. Rita Coolidge, Chris Stainton and more

Also had the prividge of meeting Joplin and running to the liquer store to get her her medicine--Southern Comfort

I will not get into the Drugs *** and Rock n Roll aspect--but it was fun but nearly killed me at the same time

There is plenty more but that is enough for now but I can look back and say "I gave it the shot"-- I still have records of all the stuff--even songs we wrote that did not make--but I have no regrets and I thank my wife , who was not part of my life at that time, for me allowing to run this thread--she thinks it great---Hey we only live once and you do not look back and regret things---I know I don't and I find this thread to be a lot of fun even if at my own expense

Good night and hope you had a great Easter Holiday

Mad Dogs and Englishmen, one of my favorite albums from back in the day. Coincidently, it was recorded on Easter I seem to recall, from some dialogue from Leon Russell.

Great story TR. Thanks. I actually thought when I saw the photo that it wasn't a hoax. For some reason you look as I had envisioned. Are there other photos I might have seen of you?

I'm not sure of batdad25's most recent post, but I'm sure it was not necessary.
Last edited by infidel_08
I loved the story. My youngest aspires to be a rock star, so it is as interesting to me as a baseball recollection!

TR, I would seriously like to hear some of the songs. If you would ever be willing to mail me a CD with a couple of your favorites, I just happen to know how to put some music up on the Web for folks to listen to. Wink

Wouldn't that be fun?

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
MN-MOM

We will see what we will see with the CD--got to figure out how to get the turntable to the puter--perhaps you know how

There so many analogies I can use regarding entertainment and baseball

01-- blow the deal because of bf/gf-- I had a boy/girl duo I managed who was hot on the college circuit---every weekend a different collge and during the week small pubs in the NYC area---got them an audition for "Jesus Christ Superstar" ( the original cast)---she had the Mary Magdalene roll in hand and he was to be in the chorus--she backed out because he refused to take the role -- he wanted a starring role---they later got married and then divorced in a matter of months--not only did she have a great voice but she was a knockout--she had "IT"--- and she never made it--she is not the only one

02-- blow the deal because of bf/gf-- NYC has some of the greatest street entertainment in the world--in fact back then the city gaves out permits for musicians to work in the subways, Penn and Grand Central station and designated location son the streets in the city--on a spring noon walk I found a chick singer in front of the NY Library--she out Joplined Joplin---she made the Amanda chick on Idol seem like nothing as good as she was--I ran to a pay phone(remember them) called my buddies at Don Kirschners office, he of ARCHIES fame and his Saturday Nite R&R TV show--remember one of my first producers as an artist was Ron Dante the Voice of the Archies---can we say networking---5:30 that afternoon they were in Kirschners office auditioning--they loved her and wanted her to debut on his show that weekend as his new star--her drugged BF was her guitar player and she would not make the deal without the BF being designated as her "special" guitar player--the guy was so bad Kirschner and his people said NO WAY---funny thing in spite of all the dollars I saw I agreed with them--the guy was trouble with a captial "T"

And we talk of decisions and fit

It makes for fun to think about it and look back and I can all the similarities---BF/GF situations, networking, valued relationships

On the other hand I somehow got involved with Ultra Violet, an Andy Warhol star and a true lady of royalty from Spain who was a huge star in Europe on TV and records--she asked me to co-produce with her a few songs for TV use in Europe---I asked one of the young groups I was managing to do the music for her--three weeks of rehearsal, then the studio and then the film shoot in Central Park--- the band thought I was insane, Ultra was a bit eccentric to say the least but a real sweetheart, when they met her but they did and got a nice paycheck--Incidently Ultra is now a Professor of Arts at a New Jersey college---the point here is the kids took the shot and made it work for them

Many similarities arent there?

Another note for parents---at the time I was doing this I was working with my Dad, God bless his soul,in the construction business---talk about being bleary eyed every morning---finally one morning he calls me into his office, we later became partners in the business, he tells me to sit down and we discuss the situation---he says go for it---you have money in the profit sharing--take it and go for it and get it out of your system--you will either become the star or you will be back because you love and are good at both businesses---to this day I thank him every day because he allowed me to go for it and shoot for the Moon not the stars---you have to realize that my DAD was a straightlaced as they come--he was not only business man but was also a Professor of Civil Engineering but also LT COL in the Army and a freakin genius--he never forced me to work for/with him as I came out of college--in fact he made me interview for at least 5 jobs as I was coming out of college---I got all five jobs and then he asked me to sit down with him and discuss--we did it and then he said what was the highest offer and do you really want to do that?

I still remember his key words later on as he decided to retire---he said to me we are going to lunch and you are buying? DUH-- he had decided to retire and he felt it was time as he said "for the bird to leave the nest, now we will see if you can fly"---when we go back to the office you are IN CHARGE !!!!

Still see the similarities---I know I was super lucky to have a DAD such as I did---I do not think I am unique but I do consider myself fortunate because he enabled me to be myself--You know how many times I say when you make the college baseball situation you do not want to look over your shoulder and see what might have been---I never had to-he gave me the chance to do my thing in life, work, sports, music and whatever else. I only wish that all others can have this chance.

Just a voice of my experiences
Last edited by TRhit
DOOER

BASEBALL--always involved --dad was a semi pro catcher--my youth coaches were ex Brooklyn Dodger Farm System players who made it to Triple A at Montreal with Jackie Robinson-- you ever see a 12 year old LLer with a uniform covered with tobacco juice after every game? That was me and I loved it--"MOm don't wash that uniform"

I still touch base with his widow every now and the and he came up to check out my son when he was a junior in HS

When I was into the music thing there were no kids but I played every weekend in a Music Business Softball League which has rock stars producers disc jockey's and whomever players---clincher softballs on asphalt

The love of the game never dies and then the boys comes along so you are back in LL
I am so glad that I posted that picture.

I think it has given us a real glimpse into who TRHit really is.

I have known him for quite some time now - and I think the thing you really have to understand is that this guy loves his players.

He may not like the umps and the parents all that much - LOL - but he loves the kids - and does a heck of alot for them - in many ways - year in and year out.

He is a tough guy - but inside - he has a heart of gold.

I am also proud to say that he - and his lovely wife Lynn - have been true blue friends to me and my family.

A very unique man - IMO.
I am glad you posted it too iitg.
Murray the K, and the swinging swaree (sp) right, if I remember, wow, memories.

TR, did you ever do any openers for groups down in Asbury Park, NJ. There we saw the Moody Blues, can't remember the exact year, lots of guys started out there in the auditorium. My favorite was some guy named Elton John who no one knew about. Lots of concerts there back in the 60's when I was in college at Monmouth. My days go back to seeing Springsteen perform regularly at the Stone Pony.

What a great time that was!
Last edited by TPM
Ya know Saturday, when we were all poking fun at TR for the picture, I considered suggesting that this thread go Golden...just to keep it from getting lost. I really do think that this is a "golden" thread, but for different reasons now. I absolutely love reading these different memories. Hey, for what it's worth, STYX and REO Speedwagon played at my local high school "mixers"----fifty cents to get in.

For those of us who are of a certain generation, music defined who we were. It still does.

itsinthegame, thanks so much for posting that picture.
And TR, thanks for being such a good sport.
Last edited by play baseball
It is good to have confession and revelation at Easter time.

I was born with drumsticks in my hands and a natural rythm, played in bands during the 70's, played baseball and other sports and college.

My Pops was the greatest.PERIOD

As much as he was baseball, he was about Family. He NEVER questioned the distractions that minimized my baseball focus. Sometimes, I do !!

All four of my kids can keep time on the KIT. My college baseballer can fill in for Mr. Peart as needed. Oldest daughter is a paid singer, and nursing student. Youth be Served. Cool
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
play baseball,

Hey, I was not poking fun about the picture! Smile I am enjoying this glimpse into the past, and yeah, he does look like a pretty cool dude. TR and I had talked offline about his music industry background a few years back, so I knew some of it, but I enjoy hearing the anecdotes. My younger son honestly does get paid occasionally to write songs, sing and play guitar, and hopes to get paid a little more for it in the future, Wink so these stories are just about as good as baseball stories to me.

Fun thread.

Julie

Last edited by MN-Mom
It is funny how this thread has brought back so many memories for me. I have had private conversations with TR and Mn-Mom about music and it is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. It is also a topic for me that has similarities to many baseball experiences that we read here on the hsbbweb i.e., ups and downs etc...

One door closes and another one opens...

As a kid, all I ever wanted to do was be a pro football, baseball, or basketball player. I was very competitive but not a great athlete by any stretch. By 9th grade and after football season wound down, that was the end of my high school sports career. My family moved from a tiny school in Pa to a much larger school here in Ohio. I figured I didn't stand a chance so I never attempted to go out for sports in 10th grade. That was probably a mistake in hindsight.

In 10th grade, I became serious about music and formed one band after another. My hair was at least as long as TR's if not longer. My favorite guitar player was Jimmy Page and I received a brown and gold Les Paul guitar as a graduation present from my parents. I figured I would need a decent job to support my music career and music electronics were really starting to take off in the late 70's. I went to a technical school for two years for electronics while playing in the band. I quickly found it was a field I loved and had a knack for. I worked on the very first MRI scanners that were developed in the world and have several brain scans from those days. I have shown those scans on job interviews to prove I indeed had a brain Smile

The more I got into the electronics field, the less time I had for full time music and that ambition waned. When I was about 24, I decided I wanted to do more than be an electronics technician and went back to school. Ten years later, I graduated with an electrical engineering degree. During that time, we raised three kids and I worked full time. One week after graduating from engineering school, I started law school. At 38 years old, I became the oldest rookie lawyer in the country. I now prepare and prosecute patents for the biggest high technology companies in the world.

Ya see, one thing leads to another and one photograph made me think about all those things. Thanks itsinthegame for posting that and thanks TR for the memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oHxq77_MI
I can see it now,....the first ever HSBBW reunion with its own HSBBW band!

Bet I could talk MN-Mom, play baseball, and a few other gals into putting together a few 8 counts combined with some back-ground harmonizing. ( aka: eye candy )

Would that be too funny or what?

What would we name the band?
Perhaps the HSBBW Bandits and Baseball Mom Babes
( Bullwinkle has in the past graciously called us moms that. - smart moose- that moose! Big Grin )

TPM,...you be the manager, ( keep us on track of where and when we have to be wherever it is that we are ).

I'll do the catering ( although after reading what was for easter dinner at some of your homes, I could use the help! ) & choreography. ( momof2catchers,..ya with me? 5-6-7-8! )

** FYI Tidbit: I feel compelled to let you all know I do play a mean tambourine, just in case anyone was wondering.
( Used to watch the Partridge Family daily and have the moves down!
I'm pretty legit, FWIW, IMHO. )

We need skilled electricions, a lighting manager, some bouncers ( rz1? ), special effects guy, stage creator ( Gotwood comes to mind ) and a lawyer or two. ( on second thought, better make that three )

Don't forget a bus driver,....personal aides,...publicity, hair & makeup team, costume designer/guru, strategists, accountants, personal bankers, graphics guy/gal,....what else?

This is gonna be a piece of cake!
Shooo bop di bop!
quote:
Originally posted by shortstopmom:
quote:
This is rock and roll---that eliminates the Partridges family

Ummmm ok,..if I told you I used to date Aynsley Dunbar, drummer for Jefferson Starship, does THAT count???

( Woops,..how did that slip out? Yes, its true SSMom aka: 80's rock groupie. )

To keep the feel-goodedness of the thread going, the Jefferson Starship definitely counts in my book You weren't a bad girl now were you shortstopmom Big Grin

I also think the Partridge Family counts for something. David Cassidy and Shirley Jones were pretty good musicians and singers in their own rights imho.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
shortstopmom---you must have a typo
quote:
I feel compelled to let you all know I do play a mean tamborine
Don't you mean a GREEN tambourine? I'll listen while you play (play play play).

Ok, if I am relegated to the background, I insist that we wear white go-go boots. And I demand to use Slicker lip gloss, under or over or even alone.

Otherwise, I can dig it.
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando:
OK, if we've got lack of agreement on Starship....how about Jefferson Airplane? Wink

I mean, They Built This City on Rock n Roll was purdy durn cringe-making. But White Rabbit is on my short-list of blast it and sing along music!

For the most part, the Starship was lame and they were much more on the softer side than Airplane. We Built This city was awful. Still does not diminish shortstopmom's accomplishment in anyway Big Grin

Here is a softer one by Marty Balin that was probably my favorite Starship production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tCrBF71JCU
quote:
Originally posted by shortstopmom:
quote:
Still does not diminish shortstopmom's accomplishment in anyway

Now now Cleveland Dad,....tsk tsk tsk, I did not say I dated the band,.....just the drummer. Big Grin

Aynsley also played for Zappa, Rod Stewart, and a little band in the 80's called Journey.

I made sure to use the big grin Big Grin so you knew I was kidding. He was/is one heck of a drummer!
Last edited by ClevelandDad
I was just makin double sure to clarify in case my kids were reading! (eeek!)

See TR,..this is ALL your fault. ( j/k )
I never would have said anything if you didnt say the Partridge Family didnt count! Wink It was a knee jerk reaction confession!

Fun to rememeber the music and especially fun to know that so many of the HSBBW members lives have been intertwined with the music, in one way or another.
( Ut-hum, for the record, lets forget how I mentioned my personal association,....shall we? Moving on. )

Play baseball,...I'm liken' the go go boots and gloss. Great minds think alike.
quote:
Playing thru a Marshall Stack took you to outer space before you even lit up !

Before you lit up?

Kids,... I'm sure TR meant " lit up an aroma therapy vanilla moon/lovely lavendar scented candle. "
Yes, that is exactly what I am sure he meant, he just didn't finish typing the rest of his sentence.

P.S.
Play baseball, you got outfit guru goddess written all over you fellow go-go girlfriend!
I come from a family of musicians. My brothers played drums and one still plays guitar. very good actually. Lots of fun reading all this. Thrit good for you Joplin wow , what a singer she was.
Love music have been to millions of concerts of great bands in my lifetime. But do have to admit i was a David cassidy fan when I was in 6ht grade.
How does the song go: I think I love you
so what I am so afraid of
Im afrid that Im not sure of
a love there is no cure for
Lol, come along theres a song to be singing to make us happy, whole lot of singing is what well be doing come on get happy
Honestly I did grow up and became a rock and roll fan. Althoug I must admit I had a country phase and one night in Lake Tahoe, as my brother held back the ushers, i ran on stage and gave willie nelson a kiss and got his cowboy hat.Crazy, but it was worth it, toooo much fun going down this memory lane.
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
CDAD, looks like we may need to Marshall up that Les Paul and find a Bass player. Cool

Somebody needs a bass player? Whoa dude hold on! Give me a few minutes to tune up the 'ol Fender, dig up my chops, get my hair poofed find a decent wig, and squeeze into these spandex pants- where did I put that cucumber?
Spizzlepop is ready to rock baby.
Now... if I could only find the stage.
Last edited by spizzlepop
I've had Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo on tape in my family van's tape deck for about three years now. When the radio fails me and I'm tried of the CD collection, and I'm ALONE in that hawt Ford Windstar cruising the Army base, I like to listen to the live version of "Motor City Madhouse"......

Yes indeed, baby!!

And with my son off to San Antonio for college, of course I had to bump his cultural knowledge a bit by allowing him to listen to "Baby, Please Don't Go" and the infamous "San Antonio!! SAN ANTONIO!!......." denouement.

Also listen to the MC5's live "Kick Out The Jams" and "Ramblin' Rose" for some down-and-dirty rock 'n roll from the archives.

SSMOM: so there's only one degree of separation between you and Randy Jackson, and two degrees, therefore, between you and Paula and you and Simon!!
And.....yes.....three degrees between you and Sanjaya!
Last edited by Krakatoa
What a great conversation!

TR Hit, you and my husband would have a lot of memories to share.
He's a NYC boy and among other things worked at the Filmore East, Woodstock and roadied for The Who, and met/partied with Frank Zappa, Janis Joplin, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and a few others.
He's a musician and had a couple of local hits back in the day...he told me when he was in the states, he used his British accent to get the girls and when in Europe, made sure they knew he was from The City.

Like MN-Mom, my son's fall back plan is rock star
He plays guitar, bass and is learning drums...also is a good singer/song writer. He has several songs that his friends and team mates request that he play for them.

One of these days, maybe he'll get his dream to hear his stuff on the radio...
play baseball,

"Ok, if I am relegated to the background, I insist that we wear white go-go boots. And I demand to use Slicker lip gloss, under or over or even alone."

You Go, Girl! I can absolutely picture you in the white go-go boots and Slicker lip gloss!

Hey, I play violin, guitar and piano...will any of that come in handy? Actually I don't play any of them all that well, but "close enough for rock-n-roll".
Big Grin

Julie
quote:
I can see it now,....the first ever HSBBW reunion with its own HSBBW band!

Bet I could talk MN-Mom, play baseball, and a few other gals into putting together a few 8 counts combined with some back-ground harmonizing. ( aka: eye candy )

Would that be too funny or what?

What would we name the band?
Perhaps the HSBBW Bandits and Baseball Mom Babes
( Bullwinkle has in the past graciously called us moms that. - smart moose- that moose! Big Grin )

Do Ronnie and Joey post on this message board?
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
I'm seeing you as Ian Anderson on stage......

Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull? I thought he had a wooden leg? Surely, Julie can do better than that Big Grin

Anderson had a wooden leg (Let's ask Woodster, he should know)? But he did that whole stand-on-on-leg-wiggle-the-other-about thing when he played the flute??? Actually, I was riffing on the violin thing. How many other rock n roll violinists are there?
No, no, I wasn't offering to wear the white go-go boots, I was quoting play baseball! I have had the pleasure of meeting her in person, and the boots definitely would fit her personality...fun, cute, and a "kick" to be around! Big Grin

Although itsinthegame has tried to pass off the Royal Crown Cola young lady as being me, he was joking on that one...I think. Wink
Last edited by MN-Mom
TR, I never did hear if you were a guitar man or a bass man. Has to be guitar...the belt buckle on the side is a dead giveaway. So what was it, Fender or Gibson? I'm guessing a Les Paul, a black one, with a full Marshall stack and a Wah Wah pedal. I betcha had a nice old Gretsch Chet Atkins too. Still got it? And one more thing...is that a bottleneck in yer pocket or are you really the Hoochie Coochie Man? Big Grin
OLDSLUGGER

HE sure is--probably the most under-rated rock guitarist in history

I still remember the night when we were recording a young group that had a brilliant 15 year old guitarist---Jeff dropped by in the studio, he was recording in the adjacent studio, and heard the 15 year old play--he asked if he could talk with the boy--he went into the studio and showed the young man a few licks---great night
WOW this thread keeps coming back from the dead and Old Slugger the Beck post really brought back memories---I recall being in the studio with a young group, they had a 16 year old guitartist and Beck was in the building--he heard about the kid and dropped in--next thing I know they were jamming in the studio on MY TIME---great memories and I am sure the kid still has them as well

Thanx for the resurrection

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.